Thread: I use a cell phone to make phone calls...

Real Name
    Richard

I use a cell phone to make phone calls...

WoW! Isn't that unique. I don't text, use it as a camera or use it for the many other things that smart phones are called "smart" for being able to do!

However, this will soon change. My darling wife bought me an iPhone 6s plus which we will get in about a week.

I was perusing YouTube regarding my soon to be new phone and I found that the iPhone 6s plus actually shoots some pretty nice video. Especially when shooting under decently lit conditions. It even has image stabilization...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxjsZQpPDHc

I won't use it to reshoot "Gone With The Wind" but, it will be handy for 15 second to 1 minute clips on our rescue dogs that I can place on our rescue web sites. After-all, I have my cell phone with me most of the time...

How about editing in the field and uploading to YouTube, Facebook or saving to Google Drive or Dropbox
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIKT1gCL-kI

Look for Craig Shipp
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th April 2016 at 03:38 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: I use a cell phone to make phone calls...

I'm pretty old school with the phone too. The GPS/mapping is nice. Other than that, phone and text is pretty much it. But I have to say the iPhones take some pretty darn nice images. And the pano function is pretty cool. They pretty much do everything a P/S camera will do with a fixed WA lens.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

If only handheld gimbals like this weren't so expensive you might really be able to reshoot the movie

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticitizen View Post
    If only handheld gimbals like this weren't so expensive you might really be able to reshoot the movie
    Leo...

I have a hand held gimbal like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-Vid...cAAOSwT6pVvyKw

Actually, I have a super light weight monopod which I use for my SX50 HS. If I just collapsed the monopod to its shortest length and mounted the phone on it - I think that combined with the image stabilization of the 6s Plus, I could do some pretty stable moving shots and using the monopod at its full length would be just fine for non-moving camera shots...

I would need to have a phone holder which I would need to buy pretty inexpensively
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cell-Phone-C...gAAOSwBLlVP1Pq
    There are plenty of other choices on eBay
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th April 2016 at 03:48 AM.

Real Name
    John

And now there are companies popping up that offer cellphone printing services.

Real Name
    James Edwards

I too am a bit retro about phones... I only use mine for calling people (I do text on occasion, but onlywhen coerced !)

What I found interesting was that last time my contract came up for renewal they gave me a super duper bells whistles model with street cred? Oh yes, and tried a price hike from about £18 pm to £27 pm!
    I pointed out I simply wanted what I already had, don't use data, don't need video, selfie capability etc etc.

A very nice sales assistant (must be honest), checked my usage etc ... exclaimed "oh... you don't use data do you.... let's see what I can do..... OK I can reduce your monthly payment to £17.50 "

I'm happy, paying less, and still have a phone that has all the bells and whistles ....but stil only use it to make calls..

What is really strange is that they didn't want the old phone back, so it has now been donated to a charity providing phones to the 3rd world!

Real Name
    Terry

I thought you had a 5D something or other Richard. Doesn't it shoot video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Dan

I have had iPhones for years and don't use the camera much. It's handy if you just want to send a snapshot to someone, as you don't need to do any work--the photo is right there to attach to a text or e-mail. However, even apart from the total lack of control, I don't like to use it in many circumstances because of the wide-angle lens.

Real Name
    Richard

Terry wrote, I thought you had a 5D something or other Richard. Doesn't it shoot video?"

I have several cameras which have video capabilities, including a dedicated Panasonic video camera. However, I always have the cell phone with me and the capability of immediately editing (albeit only slightly) a quick clip and posting it on YouTube, Facebook or saving it to our Dropbox.com account is very appealing. Especially, avoiding the need to go home and get on my computer,

Of course, my loving wife would not have purchased the phone for me just for its video capability - that is just an extra. In fact, the only reason that my phone is getting upgraded, at all, is that my present older model iPhone is starting to die. It has seen constant use for quite a few years, first for my wife and later with me. Presently half of the screen is going dark. I don't know how long that the phone will last me.

I pretty well need a phone to keep in contact with my wife regarding dog rescue matters. I am the designated driver for our rescue dogs and I often need to discuss things with my wife. This is especially true when I take our dogs to the vet. I visit the vet 2-3 times a week and often need to ask my wife medical questions regarding the dogs as I am discussing with the vet. My wife is a retired registered nurse and, as such, we are the ones who foster the dogs that need vet care or rehabilitation.

Additionally, my wife often needs to contact me while I am on the road. I drive over 15,000 miles (over 24,000 kilometers) each year on dog related trips. Just recently, as I was on a trip to the vet, she called me to pick up this puppy who was being given up by his owner.

I use a cell phone to make phone calls...

The vet was very near the puppy's home and that saved me another trip. BTW: he was adopted into a wonderful home in less than a week

I also use the cell phone to listen to books on tape while I am driving - I am not keen on today's music and talk shows drive me crazy. I am presently listening to "The Life and Times of the Duke of Marlborough", by Winston Churchill. Quite interesting and very-very long

BTW: This is the tripod mount I decided on. At $8.99 USD it is not over-priced and seems sturdier that the four dollar mounts that I have looked at.
    http://smile.amazon.com/Tripod-Adapt...ount+by+CamRah
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th April 2016 at 03:49 PM.

Real Name
    Sam

People complain about cellphone camera use all the time, but the reality of the situation is that the technology in these cameras is amazing, and keeps getting better. I have the iPhone 6s, and like Richard says, it's ALWAYS with me. It won't replace a dSLR set up (yet), but it has completely replaced the need to bring a P&S camera anywhere. With the many apps now available, you can control the settings to a degree, and post processing is a breeze. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased at the capabilities of your new phone.

Real Name
    Richard

This is the very first new iPhone that I ever had. All my previous iPhones were inherited from my wife after she got a new phone, she usually gave the cast-off to me...