Thread: Memory card format question

Real Name
    Jim

Memory card format question

hi all

Been around a while but mainly stand back, look in and learn and admire some of the work on here. Other distractions keeping my time occupied im afraid.

Any way reason I am posting is I upgraded my camera to a Sony A7 a while back (As I said I would eventually but my hand was forced as my old NEX5 developed a fault, LCD screen roll) but I really havent got round to using it much but as im off on a holiday soon that will change for my little break and I wil be playing with my camera. But I have run into a little challenge with the memory card format. Basically my lap top can not view the images except in Sony play memories and cyberlink photo director. They upload to Flickr OK and are viewable on there no problem. They upload to facebook etc. ok.

When I open the memory card folder and select theimages in the file system I can get a preview but then when I click an image to view in windows photo viewer i get this message:

Any one any ideas, what have I changed or can I change to reset this.

Memory cards Im using - 1st one is a SANDISK Extreme 8GB and this one worked OK before. A new one just bought and tried today is a SANDISK extreme pro 32GB. Same issue on both cards.

File fomrat on the camera is AVCHD and I have tried formating on both the lap top and the camera, results are the same message above. USB connection is set as mass storage but the lap top accepts the memory card via card slot

Not a major drama as said I can view, upload etc. OK. I can even load onto my ipad no problems so must be a setting on the camera I have changed that windows disagrees with.

I am reading the manuals and googliing but no luck yet so any help appreciated

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Memory card format question

That is a Windows operating system error identifying a missing or corrupt system file, so far as I remember and has nothing to do with the memory card. You should get someone who knows what they are doing to look into this on your computer. This issue can happen for a number of reasons, including a failing hard drive.

AVCHD is an HD video codec, used by Panasonic and Sony. It is not a file format, so unless you are shooting video it is somewhat meaningless, but your camera will have set up a file structure on your memory card in support of this video format. The only place you should format your memory card is in your camera.

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Memory card format question

Showing my novice credentials there with the file fomrat description... thanks for clearing that up.

I found a how to check for this now, thaks for pointing me at the potential cause, CMD prompt an system file checker here I come...

System file checker ll done, no issues found...

Continued to research and found the system has changed the default setting for th eprogram to view JPEG files... Reset the default and all working again.

Hey ho live and learn..

At least my post count is moving plus two tonight... Might see some pictures soon as Im off to the Caribean for a week soon.

My new memory card seems to have sped up camera processing speed.

Last edited by Jims; 13th April 2016 at 10:16 PM.