Thread: New Lens for My 5D2 (use of 3rd party AP-C lens on Canon FF body)

Real Name
    Richard

New Lens for My 5D2 (use of 3rd party AP-C lens on Canon FF body)

Actually, it isn't a new lens after-all... I have had my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX for years but, I had never before used it on my 5D2. This Tokina is a crop camera lens with an EF mount. I had heard that it could be used on a full frame camera up to the point when it begins to vignette - which is about 17-18mm on my 5D2.

There actually is a slight bit wider coverage using this lens on the 5D2 with the restrictive focal range and using it on a crop camera with the capability of using the full focal range of the lens...

These shots are from the 5D2...

18mm

24mm

18mm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

re: New Lens for My 5D2 (use of 3rd party AP-C lens on Canon FF body)

Interesting, Richard. I was under the impression that full-frame cameras would detect crop frame lenses and would automatically set the cameras into crop-frame mode. This is obviously not the case with some lenses. I just tried the Tokina f/2.8 11-16mm and got a result that is similar to yours.

It seems to work on (some?) third party lenses only as when I throw a Nikon crop frame lens onto the full-frame body, it switches to crop frame mode. It looks like something to have fun with at some point.

Real Name
    Richard

All EFs crop frame mount lenses for Canon cameras will not fit on full frame cameras such as the 5D (series). However, all Canon mount lenses both EF (designed for full frame) and EFs (designed for crop frame) will fit on all crop cameras.

The 12-24mm f/4 Tokina ATX is an aberration. It is designed for crop frame cameras but, incorporates an EF (full frame) mount and can mount on a full frame camera. However, if I go wider than about 18mm or so with this lens on a full frame camera, severe vignetting will result with the image as a circle on a black frame. However, at 18mm or longer, I will get full frame coverage using this lens...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th April 2016 at 03:29 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

That’s a really nice/comfortable interior.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    . . . I was under the impression that full-frame cameras would detect crop frame lenses and would automatically set the cameras into crop-frame mode. . .
    I think that “Crop Frame Mode” is a Nikon phenomenon, maybe other manufacturers too, but not Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    All EFs crop frame mount lenses for Canon cameras will not fit on full frame cameras such as the 5D (series). However, all Canon mount lenses both EF (designed for full frame) and EFs (designed for crop frame) will fit on all crop cameras. The 12-24mm f/4 Tokina ATX is an aberration. It is designed for crop frame cameras but, incorporates an EF (full frame) mount and can mount on a full frame camera.
    I think that all third party “canon mount lenses” have an EF Mount (i.e. there are no third party EF-S Mount lenses which are made). Therefore all third party lenses made for Canon EOS cameras will mount on all EOS cameras, but those lenses with a smaller image circle (i.e. the lenses made especially for “crop cameras”) will vignette on APS-H and 135 Format (aka “full frame”) cameras.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

Re: New Lens for My 5D2 (use of 3rd party AP-C lens on Canon FF body)

I think that all third party “canon mount lenses” have an EF Mount (i.e. there are no third party EF-S Mount lenses which are made). Therefore all third party lenses made for Canon EOS cameras will mount on all EOS cameras, but those lenses with a smaller image circle (i.e. the lenses made especially for “crop cameras”) will vignette on APS-H and 135 Format (aka “full frame”) cameras.
    I did not know this. The Tokina is the only crop sensor lens for Canon that I have...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th April 2016 at 10:19 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Yeah, Bill's got it right. I've seen a lot of folks all over the interwebz having fun putting 3rd-party ultrawide zooms designed for ASP-C onto their FF Canons, and seeing how far they can zoom before it vignettes, or how weird the vignetting shape is. The Tokina 11-16/2.8 is particularly popular for this. There is apparently no such thing as "too wide" for ultrawide nuts. And most crop ultrawides are hecka cheaper than full frame ultrawides.

Having shot a lot of spherical panoramas, I can also attest that there's a secondary sport amongst 360x180 pano shooters of picking up smaller-format diagonal fisheyes, "shaving" them (i.e., cutting back or off any built-in hood petals) and then mounting or adapting said lens onto a larger format camera to get something midway between a diagonal and a circular fisheye. The reason for this is because without the vignetting of the hood petals, the lens can yield 180º HFoV coverage across the frame, which dramatically decreases the number of frames you need to shoot to cover the sphere. This makes it possible to handhold 360x180 panos with only three or four shots.

When I started, the main form this amusement took was getting the Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye onto a full frame (typically a 5D), although when Sigma came out with their 10mm that popularity waned 'cause aperture control is a good thing to have. The latest I've heard of this same craziness are Sony E-mount folks grabbing the Samyang 7.5mm/3.5 for micro four-thirds, and shaving and adapting it. And no, they wouldn't rather get the Samyang 8mm/2.8 for E-mount, because it's a diagonal on APS-C and doesn't go as wide.

Ah, of course another update. Taking the 8mm f/2.8 for APS-C and shaving it for use on the A7...

Real Name
    Yes

Be aware one reason why Canon stopped the EFS mount mounting on full frame is that the crop camera has a smaller mirror and so the lens can protrude further into the mirror box. There is a danger of the mirror of a full frame Canon hitting the back of the lens. Canon has the smallest distance from mount to sensor/film plane.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks my friends... It appears that what I have read about the possibility of using the Tokina 12-24mm on a full frame camera is true. It seems that the cut-off focal length to avoid vignetting is right about 18mm (actually 17.6mm is the minimum FL). The quality seems pretty decent. It is actually wider coverage than using this lens on a 1.6x crop camera which would give an equivalent focal range of about 19.2mm. The difference between this lens on a full frame camera at around 18mm and the lens at 12mm on a 1.6x crop camera is around 1.2mm which is a noticeable difference...