Thread: A lens question

A lens question

Hi folks,

This afternoon I received an e-mail from a friend and I have no clue as to the answer. Thought I would post it here to see if anyone can answer.

Here is the question:
    I came across an old zoom lens I used to use. It’s a “sun” brand, and fits a pentax (thread-mount) camera, and is 85—210 size. Do you know if there is any use for something like this now?

This friend doesn't do photography now so I am assuming that he is looking to get rid of it.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: A lens question

Yes, there could be several viable uses; among which would be a very effective paperweight

Real Name
    Peter

It won't have IS, but for many uses that won't matter. Adapters are available to fit to modern DSLR cameras, so it could be a nice toy.

Thanks Richard and Peter.

Richard, I was kind of think in the lines of a paperweight or the like too

Peter, I will let him know about the possibility of adaptors.

Real Name
    Dan

Novelty item. Though there are a few of us out there who like to shoot with novelty gear (not me).

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Novelty item. Though there are a few of us out there who like to shoot with novelty gear (not me).
    When it works, I have a few old film camera lenses that require an adapter to attach to my DSLR. I'm sure it's the adapter that causes the dark glaze that spreads across the surface, it leaves only a small opening visible through the viewfinder. Needless to say, I don't even bother trying to use the setup.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Here is the question:
    I came across an old zoom lens I used to use. It’s a “sun” brand, and fits a pentax (thread-mount) camera, and is 85—210 size. Do you know if there is any use for something like this now?...
    Assuming it really is an M42 mount, it can be used on some digital interchangeable lens cameras with a simple adapter ring (although with several caveats including no autofocus), but it's unlikely to bring in any bucks on sale, because it's not the type of lens most folks want to pay money for. Given that it's a generic 3rd party lens of a specific age, it's unlikely to have great image quality, was probably purchased because it was cheap, and modern telephoto zoom lenses can beat it handily. Unless he's going to price it for $5-10 or something, it may not even sell, and it's unlikely a dealer would purchase it from him.

With adapters, the main issue is that the lens was designed for a manual focus mount, without electronic communication. So a modern dSLR or mirrorless camera can't "talk" to it. So, no autofocus. No shooting modes other than full manual or aperture priority (because the camera can't control the aperture). No wide-open metering (and some camera bodies can't do stop-down metering, because the camera can't control the aperture), and no EXIF information from the lens (focal length, lens name, aperture setting used). Personally, I don't go there unless I can find a rocking deal in Zeiss glass, but that's me.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Rita,

Sun was one of the very first 3rd. party lens makers. The company was founded pre-WWll. A simple M42 mount adapter can be found for $3/4, from China. Most DSLRs will take an adapter and probably all M4/3rds with interchangeable lenses. Nikon SLR/DSLRs need an adapter with an optical element which prevents infinity focus and reduces the IQ.

Sun has a mixed reputation, many swear by the quality, some badmouth all their lenses. Ah've seen and used 3/4 lenses from them and find the IQ... good tae very good. Their middle period from the mid-sixties tae around 1980 is reputed tae be their best. The company was sold, closed down, restarted and changed its name several times.

The lens may have an auto pin, this'll have tae be disabled or the diaphragm won't work manually. If it's pre-auto focus etc., it'll work as a normal manual. There were several different editions, one even had a pistol grip. These lenses can be found as Soligor, Hanimex, Suntar and a couple of other names.

The number of features available tae the lens is camera-dependent. Ah use (a lot of) manual lenses on my Sony a700 on DMF (direct manual focus). Ah set A -priority and the camera provides the same aperture which ah set on the lens, thus enabling proper exposure. Apart fae the lack of communication between body and lens, all the other functions on my camera work with these legacy lenses.

Ah've seen Sun lenses sell on the 'bay for between $40-80.

The best thing yer friend can do is buy a cheap adapter, stick the lens on his/her camera, go out and shoot. It may turn out tae be a very pleasant experience.

Thank you all for the continued info. I will be sure to pass the responses on to him so that he can decide what he wants to do with it.

Real Name
    Dave

Pretty much all the bases have been covered already. With an adaptor it will fit probably just about all current DSLRs and probably many non SLR digital cameras too.

One use could be macro work with static subjects. With an adaptor mount this lens on the camera, then using a coupling ring (in the UK they cost around £10 -£15) mount a shorter focal length lens in reverse on the end of this lens. I think the magnification is ratio of the focal lengths of the two lenses.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Real Name
    Richard

Totally off the subject... Back in the days of large format aerial cameras and the prevalence of smoking in the U.S. Navy, one camera repairman I knew used a junk aerial camera lens about six inches ( ~150mm ) in diameter, face up on his workbench, as an ashtray.

It seemed strange to see someone smash out a cigarette on a camera lens - even if the lens was junked

Richard, I wouldn't have thought of using it for an ashtray. I could see me taking it apart and then trying to put it
    back together though

^^^^I like that idea a lot!

Real Name
    Yes

Lenses that have large elements in them can provide useful lenses for experimenting with,

Real Name
    Ken

There is a market for lens coffee mugs, if all else fails.