Thread: Windows 7 confuses me - Bill Gates stole my "save as" and "copy to" commands...

Real Name
    Richard

Windows 7 confuses me - Bill Gates stole my "save as" and "copy to" commands...

I was quite happy with Windows XP and then along came Vista which I avoided like a plague. However, I recently bought a new computer and was forced to choose Windows 7 which, according to the Bill Gates Mafia Group, is better than sliced bread!

I don't at all like the way Windows 7 is organized. Virtually every program which ran under Windows XP was basically set up the same. File had the same choices etc. But, not on Windows 7. It is probably that I am behind in the learning curve... Or is Gates secretly plotting to drive me bonkers? If he is, he is succeeding admirably.

Now... The subject of this posting: I was just trying a simple function; copying an image from my external hard drive to a thumb drive. I went to the image folder and selected the image....

WHAT! No "File" from which to select a drop down menu? Oh heavens! What will I do? Obviously, Bill made a typo when laying out Windows 7 and entered "Organize" instead of "File"! Oh well, even millionaires can make mistakes.

Now I select the drop down menu from "Organize" and I frantically search for "send to", "copy to" or "save as". What has happened to those selections? I select "Copy" and Windows 7 makes a duplicate copy right next to my original image. Just what I need, two images in the same place!

I find cut, copy, undo, select all, layout, folder and search options but no "save as", "copy to" or "send to".

Sure, I can just grab the image with the cursor and move the thumbnail down to my thumb drive along the left side of the screen but, what happened to my old favorite "copy to" command.

I also seem to have trouble sending images which are emailed to me to where I want to send or copy them to. Again, is it the learning curve or a conspiracy against me???

I have a hunch that if Mr. Gates were to develop the 2012 cars for Ford, he would think that it would be a good idea to steer with the gearshift and shift gears with the steering wheel! Heaven knows what he would do with the gas pedal - maybe put it on the radio dial?

At least, once I got past the silly "Office Button" on Microsoft Word 2007, it had the standard "Open", "save", "save as", commands etc.! I can live with that...

Am I crazy, stupid or what? Although I have tried to be humorous, I do know that I am frustrated as heck with the loss of "save as' and "copy to". What, if anything, is the substitute for those commands?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Windows 7 confuses me - Bill Gates stole my "save as" and "copy to" commands...

I read the pain Richard but I have not migrated to Windows 7 yet so all I can do is say "I hear ya" and sincerely hope you have the answers ready when I do.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Windows 7 confuses me - Bill Gates stole my "save as" and "copy to" commands...

Hi Richard,

Couple of quick things ...

1. Bill hasn't had anything to do with the company for a few years now, and

2. Lots of ways to get a file copied --- the easiest is probably to just right click it - choose "copy" then navigate to your memory stick - right click - and choose "paste"; job done

Real Name
    Tommy

I pretty much always use keyboard shortcuts...

Here are some of the most useful, which you probably already know...

Ctrl + A = Select All

Ctrl + C = Copy
    Ctrl + X = Cut
    Ctrl + V = Paste

Ctrl + S = Save

Hope that helps

Real Name

Alt + F4 brings up a hidden easter egg in most versions of Internet Explorer too.

I'm from Seattle and I go to school in Utah
    Real Name
    Justin

Bill Gates is my neighbor. I went and asked him if he stole them and he said 'no.' So I guess that solves the problem!

On a serious note, though, there are a few features that I don't really enjoy on Windows 7, either. XP was fairly straightforward. Heck, I even didn't like the transition from Windows 98 to XP, but you get used to it.

Real Name
    Sean

Right-click and select "Send To" to find the thumb drive. If you want to copy more than one file, then hold Ctrl or Shift before selecting the files. You could always open both folders and "drag and drop".

I *never* use the Explorer to do my file management, have being using Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ since the last millennium...
    Here you can find the plug-ins http://www.totalcmd.net/

There are other alternatives, here a free one http://www.freecommander.com/index.htm

If only I could return to Windows 98 SE, Justin, when the world was so much simpler!

So far, I have kept away from Windows 7 because I heard that a lot of older software won't work on 7 and I still have a few occasional programmes which can't be updated.

Have you had any problems with this, Richard?

When things go horribly wrong and all your work self destructs before your eyes, listen very carefully - I'm sure I can hear Bill Gates giggling.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    So far, I have kept away from Windows 7 because I heard that a lot of older software won't work on 7 and I still have a few occasional programmes which can't be updated.
    By and large anything that worked under Vista works under Windows 7, but don't forget that Microsoft have also make XP Mode available for download. XP Mode is a full windows XP virtual machine that runs under Windows 7 ... I use it to run my accounting system (which is very old) and to get my beloved checkers game back. Works just fine.

Real Name
    Peter

What make & model is your new machine, Richard? If it's a desktop, you may still be able to run XP. I've just acquired a new laptop with 7, and like it as little as you do. Trouble is, as it's a laptop getting the drivers is not easy...so i'm stuck!

For your immediate question, I think that you'll find that the keyboard shortcuts still work - Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V (select all, copy, cut, paste) and are much faster anyway...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by proseak View Post
    I've just acquired a new laptop with 7, and like it as little as you do.
    Hi Peter,

I'd suggest just percevering (sp?) with it. I remember when WinXP came out ... I didn't like it and stuck with my beloved Win 2000 for as long as I could ... these days I use WinXP machines ... and Windows 7 machines ... and they're all just fine ... and I do have to admit that some of the enhancements to 7 actually do make life easier. It's just a case of getting used to it

Real Name
    Peter

"Microsoft have also make XP Mode available for download. XP Mode is a full windows XP virtual machine that runs under Windows 7 ..." (Thanks for that, Colin - very useful indeed!) Anyway, here's the url;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Peter

(EDIT);

I've just visited the url, and got this:

"You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. "

Aargh!

(but you're right of course, Colin - thing was, when I moved 98>2000>XP each suited me better. This is new to me)
    Last edited by proseak; 5th August 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added stuff

Real Name
    Pops

Turn them on.

Show the menu bar in Windows Explorer

The classic menus from Windows XP are still available in Windows 7, but they're hidden by default. You can show them if you need too, although most of the same tasks are available on the toolbar or on the menu that appears when you right-click a file or folder.

Windows Explorer with the menu bar visible

To show the menu bar temporarily
    On the taskbar, click the Windows Explorer button .

Press the Alt key. The menu bar appears above the toolbar.

To hide the menu bar, click any menu item or press Alt again.

To show the menu bar permanently
    On the taskbar, click the Windows Explorer button .

On the toolbar, click Organize, point to Layout, and then click Menu bar.

To hide the menu bar, follow the same steps.
    Pops

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks folks... As always, I get some very accurate and helpful information from my fellow forum members. I appreciate your help!