Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The camera bag dilemma.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: The camera bag dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Also NO batteries in your hold luggage.
    Carefully said, this is an IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulation that all member carriers have adopted. All Lithium based batteries including those powering your camera, smart phone, laptop, etc must be part of your cabin baggage. The reason is that they do occasionally burst into flames and you don't want that happening in the cargo hold where it can't be detected. Li-on fires are thought to have been the cause of at least one cargo plane crash.

Other kinds of batteries are okay to put into your checked luggage.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . Ta. I was not as precise as I could have been, but in the context of the thread I did mean the "camera batteries". . . .

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

. . . Ta. I was not as precise as I could have been, but in the context of the thread I did mean the "camera batteries". . . .
    Bill - this wasn't meant as a criticism of your posting, but rather just a bit more information regarding the rules around flying with equipment that uses Li-on batteries.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . Chillax Manfred, I didn't ever interpret it as a criticism. I understood your comment to be value added and relevant information to the conversation . . . That's why I wrote "Ta" (aka "Thanks") - bloody written words we can't hear the tone and timbre of one's voice.

Chillax - verb, hybrid of 'chill', and 'relax'.

Fantabulous word is 'chillax', I wish I had invented it.

Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Geranium View Post
    Mysecond camera body and chargers etc etc will have to go in my checked in luggage. I am not certain that an additional small handbag is permitted in addition to 7KG on the various flights( I am travelling South African Airlines from Australia etc) which is a worry as tickets , passport money tablets need to go with me on the plane.
    I'd strongly advise against checking any expensive/valuable items such as camera gear, jewelry, or anything else that can get "lost" or walk off.

According to the airlines webpage, you're allowed one 8kg item, and one "small personal" item such as a purse or small laptop brief. http://www.flysaa.com/us/en/flyingSA...ndBaggage.html

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by SamRothstein View Post
    I'd strongly advise against checking any expensive/valuable items such as camera gear, jewelry, or anything else that can get "lost" or walk off.

According to the airlines webpage, you're allowed one 8kg item, and one "small personal" item such as a purse or small laptop brief. http://www.flysaa.com/us/en/flyingSA...ndBaggage.html
    I have just been through airport securities for my annual pilgrimage from the US to Oz. I have two camera bodies, a plethora of cords, chargers, lights, two hand carries (a backpack and a camera bag), hubby has my rolling carry on and his hand carry, each totalling more than 8 kg each. As I had already said, I do this trip at least once a year, unless I have problems here at home in Oz that will require special trips. My rolling bag carry is a London Fog bag which I pack my laptop and DSLRs on, a warm coat, some other odds and ends.. this is how it looks like...but in a plain brown colour. This sucker can carry more than I can put in it. and when it comes to photographic equipment, there is no limit in weight unless you are bringing some lights and backdrops, etc.

The camera bag dilemma.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

I can understand the reason for this thread; keeping our gear safe is a major consideration. Most photographers buy the most expensive gear they are comfortable owning and many trips have photography as the No.1 priority. I remember my battery running out while 1/3 of the way through the Forbidden City. I felt like such an idiot that I didn't have a charged spare and left the complex shortly afterwards. The next time I went to The Forbidden City my batteries were fully charged....and it was closed for a Public Holiday!
    One piece of cautionary advice I would offer the OP: a professional hardcase immmediately points you out as someone carrying something expensive and this is something I would try to avoid. I tend to go with Army Surplus backpacks- strong, ergonomically-good and utilitarian. I try to look like organised but not wealthy. I also take as little as humanly possible after lugging an excrutiatingly heavy bag all over Gare du Lyons in search of their luggage storage...much to the amusement of the locals. I spent 3 weeks in Praha with a daypack and went to a local laundrette when I needed to. A massive, brand-new backpack and a bemused expression are a recipe for hassle. A small, well-worn pack & boots and a beeline for the local public transport generally allows one to blend into the crowd.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Steve View Post
    One piece of cautionary advice I would offer the OP: a professional hardcase immmediately points you out as someone carrying something expensive and this is something I would try to avoid.

Steve

Hard cases is the only way to go if things are going into the aircraft hold. If is also a way of getting stuff to a shoot if you have a vehicle to get you there.

It is not a solution to carry gear when sightseeing. Those are two different needs and have different solutions.

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

That is patently not true, whether "sightseeing" or otherwise.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    . . . Hard cases is the only way to go if things are going into the aircraft hold.
    Agree.

I've done several international gigs including Olympic and Commonwealth Games and I do NOT know of any Pro Photographer or Media Organization that does not use Hard Cases for Photographic and Technical Gear which will be stowed in the Aircraft Hold.

WW

Real Name
    Andrew

I would agree with the comments about checking ahead of time regarding each carriers requirements and stick to them. With the airlines now charging for extra baggage I've noticed a marked increase in what people are trying take as carry-on. Because of that the scrutiny of carry-on's even for local flights has gone up. Having your camera gear in a soft sided bag you intended to put in an overhead then being told it has to go unsecured in the hold would be problematic. And some of those attendants are worse to argue with than a border guard.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My first dress rehearsal for going to Yosemite in September.

British Airways allows 23kg as carry-on and American only has a size limit, NOT a weight limit.

The camera bag dilemma.

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

Agree.

I've done several international gigs including Olympic and Commonwealth Games and I do NOT know of any Pro Photographer or Media Organization that does not use Hard Cases for Photographic and Technical Gear which will be stowed in the Aircraft Hold.

WW
    At what point did the OP state he is working for an international photographic organisation?
    Professional hardcases with cut ballistic foam obviously provide ultimate protection, but that is neither here nor there when it comes to the needs of the original poster.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

At what point did the OP state he is working for an international photographic organisation?
    Professional hardcases with cut ballistic foam obviously provide ultimate protection, but that is neither here nor there when it comes to the needs of the original poster.
    Steve - the original poster did actually bring up the question of hard cases, but that is neither here nor there. These threads do tend to take on a life of their own at times and can digress from the original question. That is just the way these threads seem to work.

In my view, this is a good thing as there are quite a few very experienced photographers posting here and people do read and learn from them.

As I recall, you reopened this stale thread (no posts since the middle of March) and made some statements some of us might not completely agree with. The original poster has not been back to this site for the past couple of months.

I will stick with my original statements about hard cases - I own two large Pelican cases and they have definitely had expensive equipment that went in the bellies of aircraft. By the way - I'm a hobbyist and have to pay my own way and end up paying any excess baggage fees out of my own pocket, just like anyone else.

I've flown with expensive camera and video gear in aircraft holds to every continent except Antarctica - nothing has been broken, lost or stolen (so far) in spite of being in what were clearly photography and video gear cases and bags. I agree about being cautious, but I also know a little about how airlines handle luggage and while I carry the critical cameras and lenses on board with me, if at all possible, it is not always possible to do so. If its not in my hand luggage, its properly packed and padded and in the aircraft hold.

Just because your experience does not line up with that of others, does not make either of us right or wrong. I think it is good that people relate what their experience has been and the readers can make up their own minds about what they end up doing.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

The OP didn’t ever state that she is working for an international organization.

The (obvious) point about my mentioning I have worked for International Media Organizations, goes to establishing the first hand experience behind my agreeing with the comment I quoted that Hard Cases provide the best protection for any gear which is to be carried in the Aircraft hold.

WW

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

The member did not state that hard cases provide the BEST protection. The member stated that a hard case is the ONLY possible method of adequately protecting one's gear. This is not the case.
    Let's all move on, eh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12