Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cathedral by Candlelight

Real Name
    Steve

Cathedral by Candlelight

Well not really Picturenaut says this is 9.5 ev but I think it is probably more and I've got some more to put here over a few days, if they turn out that is since this is the first that has done using my new lens.

Cathedral by Candlelight

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Cathedral by Candlelight

This one was pointing up so was even more difficult, notice the star it doesn't mean anything to me.

Cathedral by Candlelight

Real Name
    Steve

Getting a bit silly now, the lights are not blue but give a blue cast; or are supposed too

Cathedral by Candlelight

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    ~ notice the star it doesn't mean anything to me.

Cathedral by Candlelight
    Yes, a nice compositional aid in the corner there, good frame/crop Steve.

Is it 'full width' on histogram as published? It looks just a little flat/under exposed, the first was better in that respect.

I agree the third is a bit strange colour-wise, although the stonework looks natural, the windows (I assume it is daylight outside?) are too blue.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

I don't know really, but cheers dave. I bang the lowest exposure up to the right and it is HDR of 3 frames 2 ev apart.
    Last edited by arith; 31st July 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

To me, the first is spot on, the second has a strange purplish look in the dark areas and the third just looks like blue sky outside. But I do like the composition of #2. As Dave suggests, a nice anchor point in the corner there.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Kit; 4 spirits next. I got this big problem with exposing to the right and the histograms look perfect but when it goes to PP it is blown. Same here.

Cathedral by Candlelight

Getting a bit silly now, the lights are not blue but give a blue cast; or are supposed too

Cathedral by Candlelight
    This shot is with mixed lighing, very strong day light is effecting through window
    This is white balancing problem only. It can easily be corrected.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Ashwin; but I get yellow stone with white windows. The windows were slightly blue though.

Last two HDR before I start on LDR

Cathedral by Candlelight

Cathedral by Candlelight

This door is hardly ever opened; there isn't a timetable for opening the door, it is 25 feet high so it is unreasonable to ask for it to be opened. So when I saw it open I was amazed, but tried quickly to get an image on thirds. This is where the straight jacket kills you since it would be much better to get the whole door. It is however still a reasonable image.
    Last edited by arith; 30th July 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Cheers Ashwin; but I get yellow stone with white windows. The windows were slightly blue though.
    Anyway with Mixed lighting, dominant source of light will effect other part of the photographs.

It is very difficult to get proper white balance for whole picture. Either you have to be satisfied with the acceptable result, or you have to white balance it selectively.

Real Name
    Steve

Anyway with Mixed lighting, dominant source of light will effect other part of the photographs.

It is very difficult to get proper white balance for whole picture. Either you have to be satisfied with the acceptable result, or you have to white balance it selectively.
    I am as happy as can be with equipment I've got. It is a bit like the orbs, maybe it wouldn't happen with a cannen, but I like it anyway.

I never try to get white balance until I get home, then either I can see a white point or use auto but as a last resort take white balance from another photo taken in the same place around the same time.

But of course white balance changes with angle.

What is your opinion for this...!

Cathedral by Candlelight

Real Name
    Steve

It is very bright Ashwin You have got the colour right but it is overcast outside and only one floodlight is on in here making it feel dark. Mind you it isn't as dark as other parts of the cathedral since most of the windows have been removed and covered, to be replaced I'm told in 2014. That is a long time to wait.

It is very bright Ashwin You have got the colour right but it is overcast outside and only one floodlight is on in here making it feel dark.
    Yes I admit this is my mistake, in fact I had prepared 3 layers, one with original photograph of yours, I was knowing that this is not well lit place, as such one corrected layers with condition as I visualised it was little dark, and just to test how properly lit place would look, I prepared another layer, altogether 3 layers.

At the time of merging the layers this brighter photo was on top layer, I realised my mistake when I posted the corrected version here, but some how thought let what are the comments coming. Anyhow here is my darker version

Cathedral by Candlelight

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Ashwin, the colour is spot on. I don't think those grills on the floor are radiators, I think they was made circa 1250 ad and are made of stone and despite windows all round this place is so dark there is a light inside the cabinet to illuminate precious items, in the front a book. cheers

Exposure up to 10.4 seconds at av 6.4 and 100 iso, but it was banged up to the right so 2/3 of a second for windows only.

They are radiators; I didn't see that until I saw your PP. Wow I wonder how old they are.
    Last edited by arith; 31st July 2010 at 12:56 PM.