Thread: Monitor adjustment pointers...

Real Name
    Richard

Monitor adjustment pointers...

Since, I have a new computer and am using a pair of monitors, I have to calibrate the two monitors. With my old computer and single monitor I just used a calibration program available free on the Internet and then simply worked with my printer to get the best print...

I just got an unused Pantone Huey Pro setup from a friend. The unit is a couple of years old but has never been unpacked.

I want to calibrate my monitor to two different profiles:

1. The print well on my Epson R1800 printer
    and
    2. To optimize an image for Internet display

Does anyone have any tips before I start playing with the Huey Pro?

Should I try to get into the ballpark with a program like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ first, or just jump into the Huey Pro?

I will probably not start working on calibrating the monitors until Monday. I am starting to feel overwhelmed with new equipment and programs as well as the other things for which I need to do:

* Getting fishing and photo equipment ready for overnight saltwater fishing trip for tuna in Mexico and the fishing trip itself from noon tomorrow until late PM on Saturday. I have decided to make this trip dual purpose trip - both fishing and photography. Usually, I opt for just fishing but, I want to make a record of the trip. We are chartering the boat for family and close friends so I won't have to worry about crowds or anyone stealing my camera equipment. I was wondering why I ever kept the old 10D but, now I know - for this type of venue. Although I will keep the camera protected as much as possible, I don't want to jeopardize my front line cameras.

* Getting surplus photo equipment ready for a photo equipment sale at which I have reserved a table on Sunday. I hope to convert the money I get from selling my old equipment into a Canon 7D...

* Trying to determine why Internet Explorer will not work lately but, Mozilla Firefox will

* Shoot pictures of a litter of rescue Maltese puppies who are ready to go online for adoption

PLUS various and sundry chores which now seem to numerous to count... However, I am not accomplishing any of these goals by sitting here at the computer...

I'll be back to the forum Monday... Hopefully with some neat photos of my group landing some large tuna and some more images of the puppies ready for adoption... And, perhaps with the news that I am now the proud owner of a 7D...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th July 2010 at 04:15 PM.

Re: Monitor adjustment pointers...

As far as I know.... and im not an expert here but you are best jumping in and profiling your monitor using the equipment you have acquired. Which will create a custom monitor profile for you which is the starting process of a colour managed workflow.

After your monitor you would profile your printer or make sure you have profiles from the manufacturer.

Then make sure your editing software is set up with the right working colour space, your monitor and your printer. At this point make sure you are letting your editor manage colour correction and turn off any colour correction in your print driver. And then softproof your images when printing.

As for internet explorer its not colour managed and uses sRGB for images so all you can really do is make sure your images are converted to sRGB. People on the web dont always have profiles monitors you cant control that and each monitor will display the image slightly different.

Hope that helps a bit and someone with more knowledge may help a lot more

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Richard,

I replied to this yesterday (or so I thought) -- you didn't post this anywhere else by any chance did you?

Real Name
    Richard

Colin,

I posted a query regarding just about the same thing on the POTN, Canon Forum.

Although I haven't used it yet, the Huey pro seems pretty straight forward and easy to use. I will do the adjustment tomorrow.

Richard

Real Name

Hi Richard,

Traitor

I did type a reply to you, but not sure what happened ... perhaps I didn't hit the right button or something.

The point I wanted to make was: "DON'T create a monitor profile for online work, and another for printing" ... you'll be making a rod for your own back as you'll then have to make 2 versions of every image, which is (up to) twice the work. Best approach is to calibrate your monitor and then profile it to a set standard (usually 6500K & Gamma 2.2) and then have a seperate printer profile created for each type of paper that you use (you only need to do it once). Problem sorted, once and for all!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Richard,

The point I wanted to make was: "DON'T create a monitor profile for online work, and another for printing" ... you'll be making a rod for your own back as you'll then have to make 2 versions of every image, which is (up to) twice the work. Best approach is to calibrate your monitor and then profile it to a set standard (usually 6500K & Gamma 2.2) and then have a seperate printer profile created for each type of paper that you use (you only need to do it once). Problem sorted, once and for all!
    I hope you realise that this may come back to haunt you once we arrive in Nelson?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    I hope you realise that this may come back to haunt you once we arrive in Nelson?
    Bring it on

Real Name
    Richard

WOW! That was simple... I was able to adjust both monitors so that they "look good" now, the test will be, do they print good? I will wait until tomorrow to do that. I am just happy that the basic monitor calibration worked as well as it did. It's really pretty astounding... I thought that I would have to fiddle with the monitors and that the Huey would act like an exposure/color meter combination. Instead, all that I did was plug the Huey pro into the USB connection and follow a few simple (even for me) steps.

Both monitors are pretty well balanced. I can switch an image from my NEC Multisync over to my old Dell monitor and the images look pretty well the same. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    WOW! That was simple... I was able to adjust both monitors so that they "look good" now, the test will be, do they print good? I will wait until tomorrow to do that. I am just happy that the basic monitor calibration worked as well as it did. It's really pretty astounding... I thought that I would have to fiddle with the monitors and that the Huey would act like an exposure/color meter combination. Instead, all that I did was plug the Huey pro into the USB connection and follow a few simple (even for me) steps.

Both monitors are pretty well balanced. I can switch an image from my NEC Multisync over to my old Dell monitor and the images look pretty well the same. Amazing!
    Hi Richard.
    The Huey calibrators are decent and easy to use, but sometimes have QC issues (in my experience). Its good to hear you got everything setup and working correctly. Two tips that may help you: 1/ Because computer monitors emit light and photographic prints reflect it, turn turning your monitor brightness down and pay close attention to histograms in PS when editing, 2/ I like to "reverse engineer" my monitor calibration. After running the Huey (initial set up), I typically get a print that I'm happy with, open its base file, and adjust settings (Huey), monitor brightness and contrast to match the print.