Thread: Bragging ~ the onions are coming along nicely!

Real Name
    Brian

Bragging ~ the onions are coming along nicely!

TAKE 2: The good thing here is that it was a composition problem. At least that was the problem everyone caught. Lousy composition aside the colours are good and the histogram was passable. After receiving some advice on setting black and white points and using the subtlety of curves in Gimp (worked in Sony Express as well) I thought i would have another shot at this shot. Still not so good composition but what about the colours? better? Worse?
    Last edited by JBW; 13th February 2016 at 02:23 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Bragging ~ the onions are coming along nicely!

Brian, this takes me no where; i am not sure how others feel about this...let us wait and see....

Yes I agree. The idea is fine but I feel that I would like to see the base of the foreground plants with and a bit of earth around them; then gradually fading into the distance. Also a little bit of 'tidying up' some of the more distracting elements in the background.

There is a good image to be had here but perhaps something more like what you would see on the front of a seed packet or in a gardening magazine etc..

Real Name
    Sandy

I like the caption - Bragging...... You are lucky to have warm weather to grow onions. Our onion patch is frozen ground with a smattering of snow resting upon it! (sigh) Bring on spring and I'll give a try to catch you! BTW, what variety of onion do you have here?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Not one of your better efforts, Brian. There's nothing to catch our eye or our interest in this image.

What are you trying to do here? Slightly different camera position might work with lines of repeating patterns alternating of furrows and mounds of onions.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    I like the caption - Bragging...... You are lucky to have warm weather to grow onions. Our onion patch is frozen ground with a smattering of snow resting upon it! (sigh) Bring on spring and I'll give a try to catch you! BTW, what variety of onion do you have here?
    Now that is a question. They are small, have a red outer skin and strong. As for their name... As you may have guessed I'm new to growing veggies.

Real Name
    Brian

What about the new teatment with levels and curves?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Now that is a question. They are small, have a red outer skin and strong. As for their name... As you may have guessed I'm new to growing veggies.

Could be shallots, 'cept they're not 'sposed to strong ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallot

where it says:

"[known as] sibuyas bombay (Indian onion) in the Philippines (in contrast with sibuyas Tagalog, the larger, red onion)"
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 13th February 2016 at 03:49 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Has this become a gardening web site?

I really only expect to see photographs with some sort of visual appeal, a photographer seeking advice about a specific problem or discussing technical issues etc. Certainly not a gardeners visual diary which maybe a valid activity but not what I expect on this forum. Possibly I am the only one that thinks this way. So my apologies to Brian and everyone else if I have been too outspoken.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Has this become a gardening web site?

I really only expect to see photographs with some sort of visual appeal, a photographer seeking advice about a specific problem or discussing technical issues etc. Certainly not a gardeners visual diary which maybe a valid activity but not what I expect on this forum. Possibly I am the only one that thinks this way. So my apologies to Brian and everyone else if I have been too outspoken.
    No apologies needed. It was a lousy shot that I thought was a good one. But i shall continue to post my veggie shots if for no other reason than flowers are just too easy to make good looking. And I really don't see the difference in posting any subject for critique as long as it isn't obscene.

But this is why we have moderators. So mods let me know if I was wrong to post this shot, please and thank-you.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Could be shallots, 'cept they're not 'sposed to strong ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallot

where it says:

"[known as] sibuyas bombay (Indian onion) in the Philippines (in contrast with sibuyas Tagalog, the larger, red onion)"
    I would go with French Shallots.

Real Name
    Sandy

I like taking pics of our family's veggie patch and find that others enjoy seeing the pattern of the various types of plants.
    It is also interesting to see what types of veggies are grown in other areas of our world! How to turn them into masterpiece pics is the question? Thankfully we have a group of experts that help us with that chore! Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Ted

But i shall continue to post my veggie shots . . .
    Fine with me, Brian, as long as you shoot them RAW . . .

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Fine with me, Brian, as long as you shoot them RAW . . .
    Eggsactly.