Thread: P&S with short blackout time

Real Name
    Richard

P&S with short blackout time

My wife has been using a Canon Powershot ELPH100HS and has been achieving decent results. Her contention with this camera is the long shutter lag and long blackout time with every shot.

I have offered her my SX50 HS, or 40D cameras but, she wants a really tiny camera.

Neither of us like the quality she gets from her Iphone-6.

Is there any tiny P&S camera with a short shutter lag and short (or no) blackout time?

We are not restricting ourselves to Canon.

Real Name
    John

Re: P&S with short blackout time

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    My wife has been using a Canon Powershot ELPH100HS and has been achieving decent results. Her contention with this camera is the long shutter lag and long blackout time with every shot.

I have offered her my SX50 HS, or 40D cameras but, she wants a really tiny camera.

Is there any tiny P&S camera with a short shutter lag and short (or no) blackout time?

Not familiar with your current camera but has she tried all the settings (sports, night landscape)? I ask because each has specific built in settings but will sometimes fit the bill if used in less than normal shooting conditions.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

Hi Richard,

that sounds like a loose ribbon cable. It's an easy repair. Fixed the same problem with a Fuji compact ah had. Ah'm sure ah have the Canon step by step, as well as the Fuji one. Ah'll have a rake. Ye can always do a search for blackout on Canon elph 100 or Fuji F700/800.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

P&S cameras seem to have a long lag. The ones I have used do not let you prefocus like the better mirrorless / DSLRs ones do, so the lag is a combination of focus and camera lag (these little beasts don't have the fastest processors either), which explains the long "black out", which is where the image is processed and written to the memory card.

Unfortunately if your wife wants a tiny camera, relatively inexpensive camera, she is going to have limited performance in these two areas. Something better is going to be larger.

Real Name
    Robin

These have blistering fast AF and a good processor to back the rest of the shot taking. The lens is nice, very bright, colours are fantastic and you have exposure controls if you want them.

https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/...eras/model/xq2

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XQ2-W...words=fuji+xq2

She can even pick the colour she likes

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

My Nikon P&S has a short shutter lag but no black out...And it has a manual setting and I got it relatively cheap from Bill's rewards point.

Real Name
    Dan

Based on my very limited experience to date, my Lumix LX100 has very short shutter lag for a small camera. See also this. If I turn the autoreview to off, the blackout is also very short. I've read that the Sony RX100 has very short shutter lag too, but I have no experience. if you google, you can probably get stats for that and alternatives for the LX100.

Real Name
    Richard

I (or rather my wife) solved this. he is willing to use my SX-50 HS bridge camera. The lag time is a bit longer than a DSLR but, nothing like the ELPH. There is a blackout time also but short enough to be lived with. It actually produces decent imagery and I can put a 270EX II hot shoe flash on it with which we can shoot bounce flash in selected areas (I cannot light the world).

Real Name
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    These have blistering fast AF and a good processor to back the rest of the shot taking. The lens is nice, very bright, colours are fantastic and you have exposure controls if you want them.

https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/...eras/model/xq2

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XQ2-W...words=fuji+xq2

She can even pick the colour she likes
    It sounds like you're all sorted Richard but just thought I'd add a vote for the xq1 or xq2. I picked up an xq1 for my wife for Xmas, older model so significantly cheaper yet exactly the same hardware, and I'm super impressed with the quality of image it produces. I'm actually a bit jealous and thinking about picking one up for myself!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Based on my very limited experience to date, my Lumix LX100 has very short shutter lag for a small camera. See also this. If I turn the autoreview to off, the blackout is also very short. I've read that the Sony RX100 has very short shutter lag too, but I have no experience. if you google, you can probably get stats for that and alternatives for the LX100.
    Thanks Dan -- this looks like what I want too so I added it to my wish list. I have never had anything but a Nikon but I will bite...