Thread: Elon Musk's gas station

Real Name
    Simon

Elon Musk's gas station

Elon Musk's gas station

I didn't quite get as much out of focus as I intended , but I feel it works ok. I had a play with the bokeh tool in PS but couldn't get the right sense of depth with the different objects. I'll have to go back with a 1.8...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Elon Musk's gas station

Your idea of returning to the scene is well worth the effort considering the quality of your concept.

Quote Originally Posted by ionian View Post
    I didn't quite get as much out of focus as I intended
    To help with that when you return with a larger aperture, consider that you only need to display the far right side of the first fuel station. The other fuel stations clearly imply that the first object is also a fueling station even when nothing currently displayed in color in that station is included in the scene. Changing the composition will allow you to effectively use a smaller depth of field.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

If you do not know, I have been struggling with my UWA but I find that if you turn a little bit to your right here, you could have caught the curve of the street a little bit more to show some more of the scene here and would have made a better shot...just a thought...try it with both lenses when you go back, the one you used here and the one you intended to bring along if you will bring another lens. I think the lens you brought here is good enough. It is just a matter of angling it just right. This advice is from my recent experience, a bit here, a bit there and you're good.

Real Name
    Simon

Thanks for the tips Izzy. This was taken with my 18-140 at the wider end. I will try the 35 and 50 primes as well; I think the 50mm is the one, taking a few steps back and adjusting the angle slightly. I may not get as much of the road in but the electric pumps will work much better. I'll have a play with it all when I get the chance - it may be a few weeks but it's good to go with a shot in mind.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice one

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You might want to try bracketing the aperture the next time you are back.

I see the shot was taken at f/5 at a 62mm focal length. You are giving yourself a FF equivalent of f/7. You need to open up the lens more. The FF equivalent focal length of 93mm means you are into a fairly short telephoto range.

The 35mm lens is going to give you more depth to the shot and I would have thought you would want more, rather than less compression in the shot

Real Name
    Simon

Thanks Manfred - I'm pretty sure it was as wide as I could go with the only lens I had with me. I'll have to try the 50mm or stand waaaaaaaay back with the 70-300. The more I look at the image the more I am concerned that too much out of focus will lose detail that makes the scene. I had a thought that it would be nice to catch a car as part of the picture, coming down the road to the right, but that's going to take some planning, persuasion or patience.