Thread: The Photography Show (Birmingham NEC)

Real Name
    Matt

The Photography Show (Birmingham NEC)

Anyone planning on attending this? I think I'm going to go on the 19th March (Saturday)

It will be my first time, anyone been before?

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

Re: The Photography Show (Birmingham NEC)

I went with a friend of mine (flew over from Dublin just for the day) a few years ago. It was called 'Focus on Imaging' at that time. Assuming it is basically the same format it is well worth visiting. I recall, apart from the big brands, lots of interesting stuff including some useful sessions on Photoshop technique and a few stands doing trade-ins of used gear. It probably won't make you a better photographer but it is nice to immerse yourself in the atmosphere for a few hours.
    Won't be there this year, otherwise would have tried to meet up.
    Enjoy the show.

Real Name
    Robin

Been going for years as I used to work for Jessops and we ran it back in the day then just kept up the tradition with a car full of us going down for a mooch about and catch up with people we know in the trade. Missed it last year but I will be going to this one.

Quick note - you can take a camera with you on the Sat/Sun and get away with it but best not during the week as you'll look a bit naff.

Real Name
    James Edwards

I'm 'lucky' to live about 3 miles from the NEC and have been to FoI and The Photography Show for the last 12 years.
    From my point of view, it has always been worth a visit. There are usually good offers on kit, ... lenses, paper, printers etc which are 'exclusive' to the show. I usually contact a few of my 'usual' suppliers here in Birmingham to check out if they are going to be at the show. Last year I bought a new Epson printer at a price well below high st and Internet.

I always take my camera with me... I get the chance to try out Canon & Sigma lenses and take the results away to evaluate at my leisure. I've also taken a data stick with some images (Tiff) to get printer vendors to print out for me.

I have tickets for Monday 21 and Tues 22nd but I'd be quite happy to meet up with any other CiCs members for 'coffee and a bun' on any of the show days.
    Last edited by James G; 9th February 2016 at 10:06 AM.

Real Name
    Dave

If you've been, which day(s) would you recommend? Being retired, I can go any time, but tend to avoid weekends because they are usually more crowded.

Dave

Real Name
    James Edwards

If you've been, which day(s) would you recommend? Being retired, I can go any time, but tend to avoid weekends because they are usually more crowded.
    Dave, It has always been very busy, I'd suggest avoiding the weekend if you really dislike the crowds. In the past, the last day was good if you are looking for the chance of some 'end of show' deals.
    Booking some of the more popular formal sessions can be an issue and needs to be done as early as possible. (I'm not bothering this year, I'm more interested in checking out some new gear, and getting a few of my favourite papers.)
    Last year the last day day of the show was free for students (or so I believe). Arguably getting, there early is best. I plan to go for the start of each of the two days I'm currently signed up for, and don't think I will be there after lunch on either day.
    If you are going though, I'd recommend strongly that you print off your ticket bef
    ore the show rather than buying on the day!

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post

Dave
    Definitely week days and not the weekend as its quieter plus you get more pro's and less camera club types.

Real Name
    Matt

Whats the transport like to the NEC? I'm not sure whether to get the train or just drive?

Real Name
    James Edwards

Matt,
    Birmingham international train station is the mainline station for the NEC. It takes about 15 minutes (max) to walk from the station to the exhibition hall. (all under cover!)

Driving is relatively easy. You come off the M42 at the A45 junction and then follow the signs either to the NEC carparks or you can drive into the Station car park and park up there .

I believe that parking at Birmingham International rail station costs about £9 per day (fixed tariff) There is plenty there and I believe can be booked in advance,but you can check that out 'online'.

Parking in the NEC is about twice the cost for the day, and there is plenty of it there also.

Real Name
    Jenny

I'm thinking of going on one of the weekdays. I went a couple of years ago as I had a need for specific gear and I knew I could meet the three main vendors face to face in one place (Elinchrom won ).

Some of the events are many, many people deep and unless you get there early you'll be looking over a sea of heads and not seeing much! What I found especially useful was looking at all the "bits and pieces" stalls - brackets and clamps and all sorts of such goodies. Also good for looking at bags, tripods and other accessories.

If you plan on lunch get to the cafeteria EARLY or you'll be queueing for a LONG while and the food while not school dinner level is not amazing.

After you park up you can get a bus to take you to the main entrance.

I'd also be interested in meeting up :-)