Thread: 1980's NYC

1980's NYC

Trying to replicate the grunge and feel of Manhattan in the 80's

1980's NYC

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: 1980's NYC

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    It definitely does that except that cell phones weren't as small in the 80's as what the woman is holding. Consider cropping at the bottom to eliminate about half of the street.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Funny that cell phones are so ubiquitous I never noticed the woman holding one.
    Mike, I didn't want to crop the bottom as it gives the two people 'room to move forward', that and it would have made it more of a panoramic shot. Instead I cropped out the two people on the far right which to me makes the image work a little better all around.

1980's NYC

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I think you have succeeded, but a careful observer would probably realize that some of the fashion statements are definitely not from the 80's. I think the second crop works better than the first version, but would +1 Mike's comment on cropping the street.

While I agree you have to give the people some space to move forward into, it needs to be in proportion with the headroom you left on top. When I play around with the image in Lightbox, I find you give them plenty of space, even without the the road and curb.

Real Name
    Griddi

I like the photo as such, but my first thought was " why in the 1980's, it could be still today " but then I read here the comment of the size of the mobile phone......to which I agree......but you know what ? The mobile phone which I have in use, is still the same size as the one in the photo....although I often promise myself to get one more up to date, but I use my phone if absolute only necessary......so very seldom......that way I could fit in the photo myself ......

Griddi......

Real Name
    Sergio

Jack,

Your original with the woman and the cell phone may not suit the title, but as a street photo it works very well. I like the different elements which draw my interest and make me wonder.

Sergio

Real Name
    George

I agree with Sergio. I don't know what a 1980 NYC feel is, but as a street photo the first one is better to me.

George

Real Name
    John

I like the crop but it brings the central characters too close to the forefront and cropping the street would bring them even closer.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio M. View Post
    Jack,

Your original with the woman and the cell phone may not suit the title, but as a street photo it works very well. I like the different elements which draw my interest and make me wonder.

Sergio
    Jack, +1 from me. Ditto on the crop. IMHO, you could lose the bottom 20% and increase the prominence of the people to good effect.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am on the side of the leave the woman with the cell phone alone, Jack...I have no idea you can determine the size and age of the cellphone via in that shot. Mike must be nerdish. I thought he is more into wines than cellphones... Anyway, I noticed those items on top of the rubbish bin and thought that man there near it looks like he just bought a bunch of flowers for someone. How nice...then I expanded in lytebox and was disappointed to note that his hands are in his pocket...However, it is nice to be able to look into the expressions of all these people after the fact. Interesting shot...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I have no idea you can determine the size and age of the cellphone via in that shot.
    I noticed it because I remember a customer of mine carrying a very heavy mobile phone during the 1980s and it was about the size of a brick.

Mike must be nerdish. I thought he is more into wines than cellphones...
    Nerdish about wine. Not smart enough to be a technology nerd. It was only very recently that I mastered the on-off switch on my camera. Just two days ago I realized that I had been trying to use my camera even though it had no battery, so I obviously have a long way to go.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 5th February 2016 at 01:51 AM.

Real Name
    Binnur

I prefer your original Jack, nice street photo

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    How? What have you done to replicate the feel, Jack? I am not familiar with Manhattan in the '80s or the teenies. But I appreciate it as a street shot. There appears to be a look of envy on the main man's face as he gazes at the better dressed woman with the phone.

I understand the point of leaving room for them to walk into, but I agree with others that it could be cropped a bit to put more focus on the people. I also feel they could use a little more headroom.

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

I am on the side of the leave the woman with the cell phone alone, Jack...I have no idea you can determine the size and age of the cellphone via in that shot. Mike must be nerdish. I thought he is more into wines than cellphones... Anyway, I noticed those items on top of the rubbish bin and thought that man there near it looks like he just bought a bunch of flowers for someone. How nice...then I expanded in lytebox and was disappointed to note that his hands are in his pocket...However, it is nice to be able to look into the expressions of all these people after the fact. Interesting shot...
    It has nothing to do with the size of the cellphone, but rather it is about the woman's pose with it that is out of keeping with the 1980's.
    In those days cellphones were for making phone calls, and so would likely just be held to the ear, rather than today's tools of the Devil that must be stared at virtually all the time by their pathetically addicted owners.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
    It has nothing to do with the size of the cellphone, but rather it is about the woman's pose with it that is out of keeping with the 1980's.
    In those days cellphones were for making phone calls, and so would likely just be held to the ear, rather than today's tools of the Devil that must be stared at virtually all the time by their pathetically addicted owners.
    My cellphone belongs in the old because it is a flipphone and it is only being used to make calls and receive my husband's call when we are not together. I do not give my cell phone number but to my doctor/s. My eldest son said I should donate it to the museum where it belongs.

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

My cellphone belongs in the old because it is a flipphone and it is only being used to make calls and receive my husband's call when we are not together. I do not give my cell phone number but to my doctor/s. My eldest son said I should donate it to the museum where it belongs.
    With respect to cellphones it appears you and I are kindred spirits.
    My cellphone is also flip phone, and only does two things: It lets me call you. And you call me.
    It is possible to text on it by tapping a key once, twice, or three times to get the particular letter you want, but I never have, nor want to.
    And yes, it has a camera, but that's only because when I bought it, there wasn't a phone available that came without one.
    It sits in my pocket and might ring once a day. And when that happens I usually say as I take it out "Who the hell is calling me?"
    It is used so infrequently that I charge it about once per week.
    Robert

Real Name
    Ian

Modern people,

.........a proper 80's cellphone should have a battery life of about 30 seconds and be able to kill a mugger at 30 paces if projected accurately.

Yep, my employer provided me with one, just so he could check up where I was.

It was regularly projected at great velocity at the footwell of the passenger seat in the car. I used to carry around three spare batteries too, as they didn't charge too fast.

Real Name
    J stands for John

If it is the 1980's then it is a cigarette case

Thanks John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast