Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which video editing software please?

Which video editing software please?

I was using Cyberlink Power Director 13 on my PC, but its so power hungry it's unbealivable. It has more crashes then a deranged car, and freezes more times then the North Pole, even Polar bears and Penguins would be shocked.

I have my eyes on Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite or, Corel VideoStudio Pro X7. I would like to put it on my i5 laptop which runs windows 10 and has 8gb and 64 bit processor.

Which is the better one to go for?

I'm not really looking for all the bells and whistle's (although it would be nice) stabalisation is a must, and a story board where you drag and drop.

Real Name
    John

Re: Which video editing software please?

How much editing power do these programs have? The most I've ever worked with was Windows Movie Maker and this program is limited to brightness, contrast adjustments.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I would suggest you have a good look at Adobe Premiere Elements. I understand it is quite stable.

Real Name
    Richard

I have played with Adobe Premiere Elements and don't really like the interface. I know that the problem is ME, not with the program. However, I also dislike the interface with Adobe Photoshop Elements and have always had problems using that program.

I am thinking of trying this Wondershare Filmora which seems quite simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q08T9dKnJtw

It is available as a download from Avanquest Software for $29.95 USD and has a 30-day money back guarantee...

Real Name
    Robin

If you are having crashing issues with one program there's no guaranty that another one will work any better, also others experiences may not be relevant as they aren't using it on your machine.

The PC in question - was it W10 when you installed Cyberlink Power Director 13 or did you update the OS? I ask as it may not have updated the graphics driver correctly and that could be causing an issue. Also if you uninstall Cyberlink Power Director 13 completely and do a fresh install that came often help.
    Do the required specifications on your PC match those suggest on the software box/download site? If they do how close are they to the minimum requirements? Is the PC you mentions and the laptop the same thing or are we talking about different devices? What type of video are you truing to edit - HD - Full HD - 4k?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I have used Producer ProShow for quite sometime and I like it very much...does what I told it to do.

Real Name
    Richard

Actually, I generally use Panasonic HD Writer AE 3.0 as my downloading and basic editing program. It came with my Panasonic dedicated Panasonic HDC-TM900 dedicated video camera.

I was having the Devil's own time downloading my video files from that camera until I started to use the HD Writer program to facilitate the download. The problem was that when I had first loaded HD Writer onto my computer, there was a glitch in the downloading sequence.

I erased and reloaded the HDR Writer and now the down loads are just fine...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st January 2016 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks for your replie's.

The PC in question - was it W10 when you installed Cyberlink Power Director 13 or did you update the OS?
    No Windows 7 on PC, I have windows 10 on my lap top.

Is the PC you mentions and the laptop the same thing or are we talking about different devices?
    Separate devices.

I am thinking of trying this Wondershare Filmora which seems quite simple.
    Let me know how you get on

I have used Producer ProShow for quite sometime and I like it very much
    is there a link to this please?

What type of video are you truing to edit - HD - Full HD - 4k?
    Not HD just standard. My handycam is a Sony.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseTopp View Post
    I was using Cyberlink Power Director 13 on my PC, but its so power hungry it's unbealivable. It has more crashes then a deranged car, and freezes more times then the North Pole, even Polar bears and Penguins would be shocked.

I have my eyes on Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite or, Corel VideoStudio Pro X7. I would like to put it on my i5 laptop which runs windows 10 and has 8gb and 64 bit processor.

Which is the better one to go for?

I'm not really looking for all the bells and whistle's (although it would be nice) stabalisation is a must, and a story board where you drag and drop.
    Ah'd update the drivers in the software first, or see if there's a newer build for download.

How do I do that in Cyberlink please?

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

How do I do that in Cyberlink please?
    Hi Louise,

here's the update page...http://www.cyberlink.com/support/pow...hes_en_GB.html

Ah reckon ye'll need the one dated latest - 29-11-15. Just follow the instructions.

Worth going on a power director forum or contacting help pages/FAQ etc, tae make sure that ye don't have tae install every update and only this latest one.

If ye open Power Director, ye'll find the build no. on your version by clicking on the "help" link or "about us" or similar - or the homwpage.

Real Name
    Richard

I increased my RAM to the maximum amount my desk-top computer is capable of handling and I also installed a video/graphics card that is faster and more capable. This combination has done quite a bit to insulate my desktop computer from intermittent crashing...

Thanks very much Boab, I'll try that when I'm next on my pc

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Louise - video editing is probably the most resource intensive software (other than some of the gaming software) that your computer is likely to run. I've never had to upgrade my computer for image editing, but when it comes to video editing, absolutely yes. Manipulating that much data and rendering each frame in the timeline is very processor intensive. Some of the more advanced ones use the power of your graphics card, as well as the CPU to perform the real time rendering while editing and then when rendering your output.

I used a number of products and finally threw in the towel and went for a high end editor because I got tired of the frequent automatic reboots or having the computer freeze and forcing me to reboot. I haven't tried any of the less expensive packages since, so can't say how they perform. What I will recommend it to look at what these packages recommend (not the minimum requirements) and make sure that your computer is up to snuff. Ensure that you have no other software open, other than the video editor and shut down any resource hungry background software (I find that anti-virus software can be an issue) while working. As others have suggested use the newest version of the software to ensure that it is compatible with Windows 10. Your laptop is really not all that powerful (no laptops are) so don't expect miracles out of it; the video support (if the software uses GPU support is mediocre at best).

I can do limited video editing on my laptop, but my desktop has the power to do it and I prefer working on it. My desktop is far older than my laptop.

Real Name
    Gary

I do understand your frustration but I believe you may be seeing the incorrect issue. I have 45 years experience working on computers and using software. I have been using PowerDirector since Ver 8 came out, upgrading regularly. I am now on Ver 13. In all my years I have used it on many PCs,Laptops and tablets and have never had issues like yours. I believe the real issue is your operating system. It is very easy for some things to be messed up through average, normal use. I would like to suggest you run some programs to clean your disk drive, clear your browser history and clean up the windows registry. Switching to new software might not be a solution at all. You can find out how to do the things I suggested by searching the web. If you have a PC support person you can go to that is also a good option. If these don't work for you I would be willing to help. Best of luck and HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Gary, and welcome.

I know nothing about video editing software, but thanks for your contribution

Hope you will stick around.

Dave

I don't do gaming. I installed the patch on Cyberlink but its the chip which is I think causing the problem. I think I'll try installing Cyberlink onto my laptop and put the saved movie from that onto a stick and open it up within the programme.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

put the saved movie from that onto a stick and open it up within the programme.
    Be careful there, Louise. I know you are shooting standard definition video, but reading data of a USB 2.0 stick / port might give you data issues as it might not be able to keep up with the data requirements, It would be better to transfer the data onto your laptop's hard drive to do the editing.

I would be surprised if the problems you are seeing are related to a defective component on your desktop.

That means I might have to start from scratch (eg plug video camera into laptop etc) which might be a bit of a pain. I have a Sandisk edge 16GB memory stick.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Not at all Louise. Just copy the files off one computer (with the stick) and load them onto the other machine.

If you maintain the directory structure of the original files, you should be able to resume editing right where you left off with this approach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast