Thread: LightRoom advice

Real Name
    Gordon

LightRoom advice

lightroom experts... the image is a jpg version of what I am still working through... the areas marked with red circle. are giving me problems. I cannot get them at all to look right. the blue is too strong in the water and how that was shot I don't know ... I have tried adjustment brush and radial filter in LRoom with no joy.

I am starting to think I will have to reinstall lRoom as the effects they produce do not work everytime. any other ideas ..appreciated

[IMG]LightRoom advice[/IMG]

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

re: LightRoom advice

Hi Gordon,

I'm not a LR expert (don't have it), but I note from EXIF data that you also have PS CS6, can you tackle it there, using a separate layer and a couple of small holes in a mask?

I suggest that because for the tiny, irregular areas you are trying to affect, I know I wouldn't try to do that in ACR (the equivalent workspace in Photoshop).

Good luck, Dave

Real Name
    Gordon

Re: LightRoom advice

cheers Dave will give that a try. I am trying to master LRoom a little more than I already know. I know Cyberlink Photo director a little better but have no longer got it, or cannot find the CD after two house moves. PShop I am pretty clueless. but I see what you are getting at.

Real Name
    Dan

A bit off topic first, but I have to say that I don't see anything wrong with those areas. It isn't surprising that the reflection of the sky would have a different hue where the surface of the water has been disturbed. However, that's neither here nor there.

I agree with Dave. I do a great deal of my editing in Lightroom, and it is quite a powerful editor, but one of the situtations in which it really falls short of a good pixel editor is in working on limited areas. The adjustment brush has become quite powerful in recent versions, but it is still more limited than what you can do in Photoshop.

I think the adjustment brush in LR would actually work reasonably well in this case, with the right settings, if it included the individual color channels, but it doesn't. They are available only for global adjustments.

Real Name
    Gordon

I really thought that the amount of blue in those pieces looked out of place ..playing around in PShop with it. perhaps I am being too pernickety

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Like Dan, I also wondered what you think the problem is with those two areas. The blue tones you mentioned look very natural to me.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd January 2016 at 05:23 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

I think the adjustment brush in LR would actually work reasonably well in this case, with the right settings, if it included the individual color channels, but it doesn't. They are available only for global adjustments.
    Exactly my thoughts when I saw the image. I also think the marked areas look ok.

Dave

I've downloaded the image and tried a couple of ways that seem to work:
    1. In the HSL / Color etc panel, reduce blue luminance a little (and maybe blue saturation). That will have global effect, but only on blue parts of the image, and only those parts you highlight are noticeably blue.
    2. Use the adjustment brush, brush to select the blue areas, and use the Color panel. Click the "Color" rectangle at the bottom of the adjustment brush panel, click somewhere in yellow, and move the slider left and right to reduce the blue to taste (i.e. make those parts a bit more yellow).

Both of those methods seem to tone down the blue on the waves without markedly affecting anything else.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garrett View Post
    I've downloaded the image and tried a couple of ways that seem to work:
    1. In the HSL / Color etc panel, reduce blue luminance a little (and maybe blue saturation). That will have global effect, but only on blue parts of the image, and only those parts you highlight are noticeably blue.
    2. Use the adjustment brush, brush to select the blue areas, and use the Color panel. Click the "Color" rectangle at the bottom of the adjustment brush panel, click somewhere in yellow, and move the slider left and right to reduce the blue to taste (i.e. make those parts a bit more yellow).

Both of those methods seem to tone down the blue on the waves without markedly affecting anything else.
    Simon you beat me to it.

I often use the adjustment brush with a colour set. Very useful set with green to tone down the red complexion that can be on Caucasian faces especially when taken with flash. (Golf club prize giving shots)

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks Paul and Simon. More techniques to try.

Dave

Real Name
    Gordon

Thanks people I appreciate the help ... and advice. now have it down to the level I like and off to the printers for a canvas. and master stored away for safe keeping ..

For future reference a good way to tackle this in Lightroom is to set the local adjustment brush to a small size, with a feather size of 30 and flow set to 50 or 60. Then set the saturation on the brush to -40 and brush over the area (auto mask off). If it removes too much colour just adjust the saturation slider. If some areas need more work you can reduce the brush and paint over them again to increase the effect. As with all brush tools subtlety is the key.

This method is also very good for whitening yellow teeth and the bloodshot whites of people's eyes.