Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NIK software

Real Name
    John

Re: NIK software

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I just used some videos like this ones...nothing really especial but I learned that if you select the people, then invert your selection, you get the background to go to Nik's and you do can anything to it as you please...

https://www.youtube.com/user/NikSoftwareLessons

http://edknepleyphoto.com/2013/04/05/googles-nik-collection-tutorials/
    Thanks for those, I'll add to my collection.

Real Name
    Grant

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Thanks for the links Richard. I watched them both. A great explanation of the power of the control points and how to use them.

Grant

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I just used some videos like this ones...nothing really especial but I learned that if you select the people, then invert your selection, you get the background to go to Nik's and you do can anything to it as you please...

https://www.youtube.com/user/NikSoftwareLessons

http://edknepleyphoto.com/2013/04/05/googles-nik-collection-tutorials/
    Thanks. I think you may have accidentally posted different links than you intended--when I look at them, they don't seem to explain this--but but a very helpful post anyway. I have almost always used Nik from Lightroom, and I completely missed the fact that in PS, because Nik filters are attached to a layer, you can apply them to selections. Very helpful. thanks for posting this.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Thanks. I think you may have accidentally posted different links than you intended--when I look at them, they don't seem to explain this--but but a very helpful post anyway. I have almost always used Nik from Lightroom, and I completely missed the fact that in PS, because Nik filters are attached to a layer, you can apply them to selections. Very helpful. thanks for posting this.
    No Dan...John was talking about special effects on people and also using Nik's Software...the links is about Nik's lessons and the process that I use with people are different but if I want some special effects, I selectively isolate the people via inverse selection and use the special effects on the background itself. I hope this helps clarify that point...

Real Name
    Richard

Perhaps this isn't the place to mention this but, I have just learned that I like the results when I use NIK Color Efex Darken-Lighten Center instead of vignetting. The effect is far more subtle...

Original:
    NIK software

Lighten Center at Default:
    NIK software

Often vignettes are too strong - this one is very-very subtle but, IMO, it does focus attention on the subject.

Real Name
    John

Perhaps this isn't the place to mention this but, I have just learned that I like the results when I use NIK Color Efex Darken-Lighten Center instead of vignetting. The effect is far more subtle...

Original:
    NIK software

Lighten Center at Default:
    NIK software

Often vignettes are too strong - this one is very-very subtle but, IMO, it does focus attention on the subject.
    I did have a go at the Darken-Lighten Center filter, interestingly enough the tutorial I was following also called for darkening the background prior to applying the DLC filter.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I did have a go at the Darken-Lighten Center filter, interestingly enough the tutorial I was following also called for darkening the background prior to applying the DLC filter.
    This makes sense! If you get the image just the way you want it and lighten the center, the center would be too light.

I will often, when working with NIK, globally change an image before selecting the critical points using the Control Point technology and then adjusting the critical points.

The results on Joey's image are so subtle that my wife couldn't see the difference until the two images were seen side by side.

Do you remember which tutorial mentioned this process...

Real Name
    John

This makes sense! If you get the image just the way you want it and lighten the center, the center would be too light.

I will often, when working with NIK, globally change an image before selecting the critical points using the Control Point technology and then adjusting the critical points.

The results on Joey's image are so subtle that my wife couldn't see the difference until the two images were seen side by side.

Do you remember which tutorial mentioned this process...
    Chapter 11-Portraits Start to Finish-Candace, p.221 of Nik Software Captured.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12