Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ello

Real Name
    Gordon

ello

quick hi to all, my name is Gordon . based in Norfolk UK, partially disabled .. been interested in photography for ages now, did a lot in my teens and early 20's with film then family work and sports took over. I restarted about 2000, with a little P&S kodak, and progressed through a couple of Fuji Bridge Cameras, finally buying a DSLR 2 years ago. Still have a bridge camera as that is easier for me when out shooting saving having to carry loads of kit with me.

I am now 63, finding that there isn't much I can now do workwise with the mobility problems getting worse, so it is photography that takes up most of my time, reading studying, helping others as much as I am able. and get a little shooting done. 40 od years as a decorater have taken their toll, the same can be said with active sports, football cricket, tennis and badmington..

I have covered a wedding or two along with some portrait work, which I must admit to enjoying.

anyways enough of my ramblings

Real Name
    Dave

Re: ello

Hello Gordon, and a warm welcome to CiC.

I hope that you enjoy being a part of our community. I expect you've had a look around, and can see that we are a friendly and polite bunch (and we enjoy a laugh, too). There are all kinds of photographers here, but if your interests are reading, studying and helping others you are definitely in the right place.

You could update your profile to show Norfolk as where you are (better put Norfolk UK, there may be Yanks here who would place you in Virginia), and Gordon as your "real" name.

Look forward to seeing you around,

Dave

Real Name
    Gordon

thanks Dave for the warm welcome. yea had a bit of look round, will continue to do..

Real Name
    John

Gordon,

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing your images.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Gordon,

A warm welcome from me too.

~ so it is photography that takes up most of my time, reading studying, helping others as much as I am able.

~

I have covered a wedding or two along with some portrait work, which I must admit to enjoying.
    You sound like you know what you're doing with the DSLR, so please - don't be shy, post a shot or two, we'll be kind.

With that in mind, you may find this thread helpful:
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?
    plus the first post in this thread:
    How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images

Cheers, Dave

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Warm welcome from Missouri on this coldish day...Hope you enjoy your stay here at CiC...do please post some images along your journey here...

Real Name
    Gordon

many thanks for the very warm welcomes... I'll sort a couple of shots out ... trying to work out a good way of storing a vast amount of them.

Real Name
    Gordon

created an album just one shot for now ..

Link to Gordon's album at CiC

Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st January 2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added link

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by gordo52 View Post
    many thanks for the very warm welcomes... I'll sort a couple of shots out ... trying to work out a good way of storing a vast amount of them.
    Most people use an independent site Gordon, e.g. see links to mine in my signature below.

I use PBase now, but started with Picasa, but there are literally hundreds of alternatives, the free ones come with some restrictions, I pay a few dollars a year for my PBase web space, which I think is worth it.
    Not all hosting sites are equal, some have disadvantages that are obvious, some less obvious, for example I chose PBase because:
    a) Its page of thumbnails (in a given gallery) are not all cropped to square, destroying my artistic choice in the process - so I recommend avoiding any site that just gives square thumbnail pages.
    b) If I link a picture (hosted in PBase) to a post here at CiC, then move that picture to a different gallery/album at PBase, it still remains visible here - many other sites only provide an image link via the gallery it sits in, so when you (inevitably) re-organise things 'over there', it destroys posts here

Even some of the big name sites fall foul of these issues.

However, if this is your only forum and you don't need to display them to anyone else, you could just use the TinyPic method, as shown in link in my post above.

The albums here at CiC are VERY limited in the size of image allowed and they also erase the EXIF data, and those two things will hinder us giving good feedback - we'd prefer you use TinyPic until you get a web site sorted elsewhere.
    That's because CiC is not a photo hosting site; it is primarily a website with tutorials and forum.

I know there's a lot to learn, but if you're confused, just ask and we'll answer

Cheers, Dave

PS I have added a link to your album in your post above, as not everyone would know how to find it otherwise.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st January 2016 at 02:30 PM.

Real Name
    Gordon

I have viewbug an flickr, my sorting was for myself on external hard drive . I know I can pop folders on the there alng with name and date them. I am looking for a good cheap or free cataloguing software .. if there is such a thing. I am trying to compile a listr of one to look at ..