Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Getting rid of the colored shadows

Real Name
    Jack

Getting rid of the colored shadows

I'm trying to get the right white out of this mix of colors on this piece of an (ugly) curtain.

First, I added a hue/saturation level, then a selective color level to subtract a bit of red from the white, and finally a channel mixer one. I get this result:

Even though it is better now, I'm still not very happy with it, because there are still shadows and an ugly red, yellow (or whatever) visible on the curtain (look at the red signs I drew on the second picture, and it doesn't look natural anymore.
    I would like to get rid of all those colored dark shadows, and get an even, natural white.

Can you help me to obtain a more decent image?

Thank you.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Getting rid of the colored shadows

Welcome aboard colorjack...would be nice to give us a name, like Frank or Jim or Sara or whatever.

Am going to assume, from your post, that you use PS.
    I would use the color picker tool to find the area that I want to replicate and another color picker
    from a bad area, then use a hue/saturation layer (using individual colors) to balance the numbers.
    There are numerous other techniques available though.

On my monitor, the red color is really faint indeed.

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Welcome aboard colorjack...would be nice to give us a name, like Frank or Jim or Sara or whatever.

Am going to assume, from your post, that you use PS.
    I would use the color picker tool to find the area that I want to replicate and another color picker
    from a bad area, then use a hue/saturation layer (using individual colors) to balance the numbers.
    There are numerous other techniques available though.

On my monitor, the red color is really faint indeed.

Hi chauncey. Call me Jack.
    Yes, I use PS.
    I added a hue/saturation layer to balance the colors, but I was not very pleased with it. Anyway, I'm not a professional and someone else could well get a better result playing with it, I guess. Even though I know the RGB value for each, I don't know how to get the "right number" moving the slider in the hue/saturation settings.
    Could you explain it to me please?
    Meanwhile, I have just finished to try a different method. After getting the better result I could with the hue/saturation level,
    I then used the frequency separation technique, and I coloured with white the low level (lowering opacity afterwards).
    But getting an even white colour on the curtain still seems to be a very hard task.
    Thank you

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Hi Jack...I cannot help you here but it will be nice if you can fill up your profile as to where you are located and also the name you wanted us to refer as...Most people here, including me, are sort of lazy to address a problem unless we have a name to refer to.

In your post above saying, call me Jack -- will be long forgotten after this post. Just a hint..

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi Jack - welcome to CiC. Fortunately the images are tiny, so it's hard to see what you are looking at. If you could post them at around 1600 pixels on the long side, that would make this easier for us.

The way I handle localized colour casts in Photoshop is to add a desaturation adjustment layer and ensure that it has a black mask (blocks the mask totally). I will then take a very soft, white brush with a low flow (try 10% at 100% opacity) and paint over the mask to revel the desaturated image below. This will ensure that the colour cast is replaced by neutral gray.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Hi Jack - welcome to CiC. Fortunately the images are tiny, so it's hard to see what you are looking at. If you could post them at around 1600 pixels on the long side, that would make this easier for us.

The way I handle localized colour casts in Photoshop is to add a desaturation adjustment layer and ensure that it has a black mask (blocks the mask totally). I will then take a very soft, white brush with a low flow (try 10% at 100% opacity) and paint over the mask to revel the desaturated image below. This will ensure that the colour cast is replaced by neutral gray.
    I tried the desaturation/color picker method but couldn't get any change, I also used the slide bars on the color thread at bottom of panel. I was trying to reduce a purple color cast and when I chose the color the reference showed Red2; however when I moved the sliders nothing happened.