Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Possible scam warning

Real Name
    Richard

Possible scam warning

I accessed what I though was the Adobe Products website to look at upgrading my Creative Suite CS3 or buying a new edition of PS CS5 since I now have a new computer which can make use of the capabilities of CS5. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Creative Suite and I found out from Adobe that upgrading to Creative Suite CS5 from Creative Suite CS3 is as expensive as purchasing ab entirely new Photoshop CS5 program. And in the case of the Photoshop CS5, future upgrades would be a LOT LESS EXPENSIVE.

The site I accessed looked exactly like the Adobe site except that they had Adobe Photoshop CS5 (not the extended, student edition or upgrade) at 66% off. I ordered this program. I am usually very conscious of scams but, it this case, I let my guard down because I was under the impression that I was dealing directly with Adobe who is a reliable seller.

I began to suspect the 66% off PS CS5 was a scam when I never received a purchase number nor email receipt from Adobe. I phoned Adobe this morning and learned: 1. They had no record of my purchase and 2. There was never a 66% off sale on PS CS5.

I contacted my bank to learn that my credit card had been charged by a Chinese website for the purchase amount of the PS CS5. I cancelled that transaction and then cancelled that credit card and renewed it with a new number.

This should solve any future bogus claims against my card.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Possible scam warning

Hi Richard,

That's scary stuff - thanks for posting. Unfortunately these kinds of things seem to be happening more and more; I wish the "long arm of the law" would / could make more of an example out of these types of people.

For what it's worth, I recently upgraded to CS5 via Adobe's site (from CS4) ... I think it cost around 1/3 the price of the full version (ie in NZ Dollars, around $400 -v- $1200 for non-upgrade).

Out of interest, how did you end up on the fake site? A technique I'm seeing more and more of is the old "look like a URL to somewhere, but it really points to somewhere else".

Real Name
    Steve

That looks like bad luck, I'm sorry you lost money and I suppose it is easy to be scammed.

Thanks for the warning.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    That looks like bad luck, I'm sorry you lost money and I suppose it is easy to be scammed.
    I think he got the $$$ back, unless I'm mistaken.

Real Name
    Richard

I intercepted transaction before it had actually been funded since I discovered so quickly that the web site was a hoax.
    But, boy, they did a great job counterfeiting the Adobe Site. My credit union states that I will not lose my money. This is the reason to use a credit card, not an ATM card in on line purchasing. If I had used my ATM card, I would have been out the money.

The reason I don't want to upgrade my present Photoshop is that it is part of Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and I cannot upgrade just the Photoshop portion of the suite. It is a lot less expensive to upgrade Photoshop than to upgrade a Creative Suite and I never use the extra capabilities of the Creative Suite Programs.

I have decided to enroll in a Photoshop CS5 course at a local community college and therefore would be eligible to purchase Photoshop CS5 at a student discount.

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Colin,

Good point! How did I end up on the fake site??? I did a google search using Photoshop CS5 as my search parameters. I then perused the results of that search looking for an Adobe address. Apparently, this site had a URL that was designed to make it look like it was Adobe's website. When I opened the site, I had no doubt that this was Adobe. I have been on the "genuine" Adobe site multiple times and "thought" that I knew what the site looked like.

The site advertised a standard, non-extended version of Photoshop CS3. I actually thought that this was an abbreviated program which was designed for photo editing only and might have been reduced because of the recession. I was really more concerned that this was neither a student nor an upgrade issued program. It was neither - it was just a scam.

I could not find the frauulent site again after looking for it. I changed computers after ordering the program so I couldn't use the "history" to find that site.

I had also seen this website with a 66% off price for Photoshop CS5; so I really thought that the Adobe price was realistic. However, I would never hadve ordered it from a non-Adobe marketer. I would bet that you could never actually receive Photoshop CS5 at this price if you tried to order from this vendor.
    http://www.cs5sales.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=51

I have decided to enroll in a community college Photoshop CS5 class to obtain a student ID Card. Then I will be eligible to get a student/teacher version of Photoshop CS5 at about 50% off the listed price. I won't upgrade my Creative Suite CS3 since the upgrade to Creative Suite CS5 is very expensive. I would be forced to upgrade the entire suite since I couldn't just upgrade Photoshop. Who knows, I will probably learn someting in the class as well as qualifying for the 50% off program.

Real Name
    Darren

As is often the case.....if it seems too good to be true, it usually is!

Glad you sorted it though before it went through.

Darren.

Real Name
    Richard

I MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG...

I just received a copy of PS CS5 from China. I have installed it on my computer and Adobe accepted the serial number and the program appears like it is working just fine.

I can't believe it but, it appears like I got a fully usuable version of PS CS5 for about $246 (USD). I am sure that I will get an email from the Chinese company who sold me the PS CS5 that my credit card refused payment. I will then make arrangements to pay them the money that I owe for the PS CS5 program. I am going to wait for them to contact me in case the PS CS5 quits for some unknown reason.

In the interim, I purchased PSE-8 from my local COSTCO warehouse store -- so I now have both PS CS5 and PSE-8 on my computer. This is O.K. with me since there are a few things which I can do with PSE-8 that I don't know how to do with PS CS5.

I have also downloaded the upgrade for my older Huey Pro Color Monitor Calibrator which I have had for a long time but, never used. I will calibrate my monitors this afternoon and then will be back in photo editing.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG...

I just received a copy of PS CS5 from China. I have installed it on my computer and Adobe accepted the serial number and the program appears like it is working just fine.
    I still strongly doubt it Richard. Unless Adobe have changed the way they do things, the electronic serial number isn't a number that they keep a copy of when they issue it and then "check it off" when it's activated ... it's just a code that's verified by an algorithm; and unfortunately, the thieves have reverse engineered that part of the program so that they can produce their own numbers that appear to be valid.

If you really wanted peace of mind, I'd suggest contacting Adobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I still strongly doubt it Richard. Unless Adobe have changed the way they do things, the electronic serial number isn't a number that they keep a copy of when they issue it and then "check it off" when it's activated ... it's just a code that's verified by an algorithm; and unfortunately, the thieves have reverse engineered that part of the program so that they can produce their own numbers that appear to be valid.

If you really wanted peace of mind, I'd suggest contacting Adobe.
    Hi Colin,

This story of unauthorised multi copies of the same legally purchased software is.

Whoever is doing this type of business, actually purchase one legal version, and get serial number, they themself will not registered the product with Adobe.

Thereafter they make multiple copies ( their susequent cost is only cost of blank DVD plus cost of duplicating it )

Whoever first registers such product with Adobe. Adobe will accept only 1st one, and will get all the benefit of registred holder of the product.

Others who purchase, their product with supplied serial number will work on their comptur if they do not register their product with ADOBE or never try to update from Adobe.

It is also strange, without receiving payment, they have sent the Product. logic is simple, if they do not get payment, they will loose only cost of DVD and corrier charges they have paid nothing more... ! ! !

Hi Colin, and every member of this Forum,

Just I came across one website, they are offering Photoshop CS5 extended @ $129.95

how this is possible...! ? possibly unauthorised..version! ! !

AdobePhotoshop CS5
    Extended $129.95
    Cheap software. Buy Now.
    www.puzyr.com
    Last edited by Ashwin; 13th August 2010 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG...

I can't believe it but, it appears like I got a fully usuable version of PS CS5 for about $246 (USD). I am sure that I will get an email from the Chinese company who sold me the PS CS5 that my credit card refused payment. I will then make arrangements to pay them the money that I owe for the PS CS5 program. I am going to wait for them to contact me in case the PS CS5 quits for some unknown reason.
    Hi Richard,

Have you been contacted again by CHINESE CO. for the payment of the product they have sent to you..?

I think they will never attempt to contact you, they are well aware what they have done and what they are doing, for you Product may be working fine, and same has been registered with adobe very fine. let us wait.

I have come across such site, I have not clicked on it, fearing some virus may enter my computer, but they are offering product as you have got, at half the price you were supposed to pay, very strange..