Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for some advice (Sensor cleaning)

re: Looking for some advice (Sensor cleaning)

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Yes it does refer to page 289 of the manual. Page 293 covers manual cleaning of the sensor. It does recommend taking it to a Canon service center but then goes on to explain how to do it. For the warranty to be voided I would expect a statement to be made to that effect at this point. As it is an activity covered in the user manual and as long as the instructions are adhered to I cannot see any grounds for Canon to void the warranty.
    Paul, I just read that info last night

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Rita,

At the risk of being obvious, be sure to hold the camera with the front facing down while using the blower. Doing so makes it possible for the hair to fall out of the camera. It's best to do this over a plain material in a solid, contrasting color such as a tablecloth or shirt. That will make it easier to see the hair if it falls outside the camera.

Once the hair is removed from the sensor, if you do not see it on the material outside the camera you should be aware that it might still be inside the camera though not on the sensor. That being the case, it can fall back onto the sensor sometime in the future. In that situation always be on the lookout for the reappearance of the hair in your images.

Better yet, regularly check the sensor for any items that might have gotten on it rather than waiting to see them displayed in your images. The sooner you notice an item on your sensor, the greater the chance that you will be able to easily remove it using a blower. The device with the bright light mentioned in the thread that I provided in an earlier post makes it especially easy to check the sensor. If I remember correctly, a blower is sold with that device.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 13th January 2016 at 03:28 PM.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I did find the hair, along with some other "stuff" on the sensor. The blower didn't remove everything so I got brave and cleaned the sensor. Discovered that this really isn't all that scary to do The result is a perfectly clean sensor with no marks showing when I take an image of a blank wall. I am happy!

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I did find the hair, along with some other "stuff" on the sensor. The blower didn't remove everything so I got brave and cleaned the sensor. Discovered that this really isn't all that scary to do The result is a perfectly clean sensor with no marks showing when I take an image of a blank wall. I am happy!
    Well done Rita.

If you are lucky enough to have a good cloudy or blue sky that makes another good test target as well as a white monitor screen if too cold to go outside

Thanks Grahame. Must say that I did give myself a pat on the back when I succeeded.
    We do have a cloudy day today but there is the factor of torrents of rain coming from the clouds

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Must say that I did give myself a pat on the back when I succeeded.
    A well-deserved pat on the back. Any of us would have been happy to provide it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A well-deserved pat on the back. Any of us would have been happy to provide it for you.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

It will not seem so daunting if you have to clean it again. Congratulations.

Paul, you got that right.

Rita - It was scary for me the first (and so far only) time I cleaned my sensor in my Nex-7. Good for you on doing it yourself.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Congratulations, Rita...I have only recalled having to physically clean my sensor and changing the focus mirror also once to an architectural one and that was when I was in films. I had been careful not to change lens again in the open. Trev is right -- use two bodies when going out. I've been doing that since I switched to digital and now I have three including my P&S. Old habits need not die.

Izzie, I do still have my old camera but since I got my 5d3 I have never used the old one. I didn't like using that one so much. One day I will have a second body that I don't mind lugging with me

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Congratulations, Rita...I have only recalled having to physically clean my sensor and changing the focus mirror also once to an architectural one and that was when I was in films. I had been careful not to change lens again in the open. Trev is right -- use two bodies when going out. I've been doing that since I switched to digital and now I have three including my P&S. Old habits need not die.
    Looks like I need to hit the lottery.

Re: Looking for some advice (Sensor cleaning)

Mark, I wish I could win the lottery

Real Name
    Arnstein Bjone

This is how I clean my sensor:Looking for some advice (Sensor cleaning)

Real Name
    Ken

Izzie, I do still have my old camera but since I got my 5d3 I have never used the old one. I didn't like using that one so much. One day I will have a second body that I don't mind lugging with me
    I am going to Iceland for a photographic tour. Yes I will be taking a second body, in case something happens to my first camera.
    See threads 'falling off or with tripod', 'dropping in sea', 'dropping on concrete, asphalt' etc
    And in case I get sensor spots then I can use the backup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123