Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some advice (Sensor cleaning)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

re: Looking for some advice (Sensor cleaning)

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    get it cleaned properly and professionally.
    Getting it cleaned properly rarely requires getting it cleaned professionally.

Mike, your cynicism is duly noted, but I would recommend you expand on that with appropriate advice on getting someone experienced and skilled for the task required. You might be able to do this, but that is irrelevant to this person unless you offer to do the work for them and take the risk of doing so.

This is an issue of change management. If the unit is cleaned by a professional then the client has some recourse if something goes awry. The owner's skill level is critical in establishing the risk of poking anything inside the box. This is after all an expensive camera...

Furthermore, if it is still under warranty attempts to clean the unit may impact upon the validity of that warranty if someone does something to the camera that is not approved under the provisions and especially if they cause collateral issues. As was previously noted, blowing into the camera could well push whatever it is further into the body, along with any other dust etc that may be lingering.

Understanding if the warranty applies is the first step. I understand that the camera may be subject to an extended warranty and if it is, then knowing what is and is not covered, and what cannot be done is the next.. I have had warranties from Canada, NZ Australia and I know these vary considerably as these warranties are sometimes provided by third parties, and not Canon as such.

This is, in principle, the exact same issue I face in IT a lot. Someone violates a warranty because they decided to do something minor and create another issue. When they go to resolve that they find they are out in the cold as regards warranty, and out of pocket because some well-meaning person told them it was OK to do so.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 13th January 2016 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks for the link Mike. I will read through it.

Thank you for the feedback Kathy. Appreciate the video.

Mike, your cynicism is duly noted,
    I wasn't being cynical. I was being factual.

I would recommend you expand on that with appropriate advice on getting someone experienced and skilled for the task required.
    I feel the link I provided to another thread does that. Most specifically, Rita explained that she has trepidation about cleaning the sensor herself. The thread I brought to everyone's attention explains that I used to feel the same way and why that no longer was the case once I began using the product and method explained in that thread.

You have explained your thinking about the warranty several times now and each time your explanation has been valid. However, the degree of validity doesn't increase with repeated explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Rocket Blower is fat, ugly and bulky and mine lives in my handbag, not in my camera bag, but it works Rita...

Welcome back...hope to see some of your shots again.
    Hi Izzie, thanks for commenting. I will be posting again but life seems to be in the way of me doing very much with photography lately. Only had the chance to do a few things. I am looking forward to getting some time to get out and shoot.

Wow, thank for all the replies everyone, much appreciated. I think I will look into the blower and start there to see how it goes.
    Then go to the next step from there.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks Dave for your tip about cleaning tools for the camera. So far I have not used my Rocket Blower for any of my cameras, but I did use it for cleaning my laptop. Like Trev, when I go out, I go out with a lens that will stay in that camera until I go indoors. I use two camera bodies on every trip, excluding my P&S...The thing I had used to clean is a lens cleaner for my lens. My camera has a digital sensor cleaner accessible through the menu. I seldom have to use it either...

John, I don't use many images SOOC but I would like to get the offending mark out. I would rather take care of it now before a lot of spots/marks start showing up.

The primary reason in my mind for removing whatever is on the sensor is that some day you'll capture a scene that is not only messed up by it but is also located in a place of the image that makes it especially difficult to digitally remove.

Mike, I really would not be happy if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I wasn't being cynical. I was being factual.

I feel the link I provided to another thread does that. Most specifically, Rita explained that she has trepidation about cleaning the sensor herself. The thread I brought to everyone's attention explains that I used to feel the same way and why that no longer was the case once I began using the product and method explained in that thread.

You have explained your thinking about the warranty several times now and each time your explanation has been valid. However, the degree of validity doesn't increase with repeated explanations.
    Hi Mike:

First of all no offense was intended and I completely support your efforts to be helpful, however your comment is a matter of opinion and perhaps a statement of your experience and that's fine in that context. I think such a generalization emphasize by the word "rarely" cannot be considered a fact as I have tried to explain the implications of professional work as opposed to skilled or unskilled amateurs in this context. I DID try clicking on your highlighted text and nothing happened, so I missed the thread.

Since everyone is continuing to suggest a do-it-yourself solution I felt my word of caution was falling on deaf ears and I would be genuinely sorry not to have said my piece in a spirit of wanting to protect Rita. Obviously she will do what she wants and that's fine.

Enough said and I shall leave it at that.

I DID try clicking on your highlighted text and nothing happened, so I missed the thread.
    I tested it on my end when I posted it and it worked fine. I just now tested it again after seeing your comment and it still worked fine. Consider trying it again on your end.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

I had my camera sensor cleaned recently and it cost me approximately a cup of Starbucks coffee. I just went to a Nikon service center and then waited for an hour while the sensor is being cleaned. Doing it by myself is not worth the risk at all, eventhough I'd like to think myself as a fairly technical, DIY guy.

While waiting I went to the Nikon museum and saw a really huge vintage Nikon fisheye lens, the new Nikon 24-70 and many other crazy lenses so the waiting time was worth it.

Real Name
    George

I didn't read it, maybe missed it. But does the camera have a sensor cleaning function?

George

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I didn't read it, maybe missed it. But does the camera have a sensor cleaning function?

George
    Yes it does refer to page 289 of the manual. Page 293 covers manual cleaning of the sensor. It does recommend taking it to a Canon service center but then goes on to explain how to do it. For the warranty to be voided I would expect a statement to be made to that effect at this point. As it is an activity covered in the user manual and as long as the instructions are adhered to I cannot see any grounds for Canon to void the warranty.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Yes it does refer to page 289 of the manual. Page 293 covers manual cleaning of the sensor. It does recommend taking it to a Canon service center but then goes on to explain how to do it. For the warranty to be voided I would expect a statement to be made to that effect at this point. As it is an activity covered in the user manual and as long as the instructions are adhered to I cannot see any grounds for Canon to void the warranty.
    Why not try the in-camera function before anything else?

I don't think warranty is involved. Warranty is on material and functioning of the system. Cleaning the sensor is an action you or somebody else is doing. Even if you have it done by others, it's mostly for your risc.

Just try the in-camera function, than the blowers and if that doesn't help you have to try the contact-cleaning, dry or wet. I can imagine one is scared for that. I didn't have to use it so far.

George

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Yes, be cautious and careful not scared.

Leo, sounds like a great way to spend your time while waiting.

George, yes my camera does have a cleaning function which I have set to run when I turn my camera on and off. It just isn't removing that hair. I did take a look at the sensor last night and I can see the hair so feeling confident that a blower will take care of it for me. Thanks for commenting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast