Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Edge browser

Real Name
    Didace

Re: Microsoft Edge browser

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    There is more than just Cortana or Edge that you have to know about. The total system is one big interconnected piece of spyware/virus. The number of things one has to cripple grows by the day. Stay away if you value your privacy.
    It is no different than anything from Apple or Google.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

I used to have a slideshow of my various acceptances and awards as a screensaver. For some reason, Microsoft has now decided that it will give me some nice new pictures every couple of days.

For years, I've used the normal file structure to maintain my image files. I now find that they are being automatically put in albums for me. This really sucks because I will often have three cameras with me when I go out shooting and I like to organize by subject not the latest offload from the SD cards.

In my prior working yers I had, at times, been computer operator, programmer and system administrator. I don't really want to do that stuff anymore but it seems I need to start digging into the crap that's been added to my system by default.

Real Name
    Bobo

That fruit IS spyware and for that reason I have and will never ever use anything from them.

As for Google it does not invade your entire system. There is a difference!

Real Name
    George

Did you ever wonder what happens with the automatic updates? Does anybody knows what a specific update changes or add?
    Last year I bought a new pc with win 8.1. After connecting it started to update for a few hours, over 150.
    The OS isn't that old, so if those updates where security updates than I wonder what that OS was on release time.
    Who is working with apps? An app is a piece of software working at his own. Does anybody know what they do?
    Not so long ago I used some software to protect my privacy. I'm not sure but I think it was something from Lavasoft. All those cookies it pointed to as spyware are now just common.

George

Real Name
    James Edwards

George,
    my understanding is that automatic updates and 'scheduled' patches from Microsoft only relate to Microsoft products.

Updates from 3rd party suppliers such as Adobe, Java etc are notified and applied separately.

Unfortunately, Microsoft are not providing as much information about their automatic updates for Win 10 as they used to, but I do do not think they are including anything different from previous versions. Since they have no 'control' over 3rd party software, I doubt they would consider bundling such updates for fairly obvious legal, commercial and technical reasons.

As regards the time it took to upgrade when you first bought the the laptop, 90 mins does not seem abnormal. It can be several months between shipping, subsequent sale, and then the first updates after purchase and the number of 'catch up' updates often reflects this.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    George,
    my understanding is that automatic updates and 'scheduled' patches from Microsoft only relate to Microsoft products.

Updates from 3rd party suppliers such as Adobe, Java etc are notified and applied separately.

Unfortunately, Microsoft are not providing as much information about their automatic updates for Win 10 as they used to, but I do do not think they are including anything different from previous versions. Since they have no 'control' over 3rd party software, I doubt they would consider bundling such updates for fairly obvious legal, commercial and technical reasons.

As regards the time it took to upgrade when you first bought the the laptop, 90 mins does not seem abnormal. It can be several months between shipping, subsequent sale, and then the first updates after purchase and the number of 'catch up' updates often reflects this.
    Concerning the automatic updates form Microsoft you're right. But what they're changing on your system is unknown. Probably, not sure, the post of Saorsa is related to the Microsoft updates.
    I know some of the updates of win 8.1 users are related to a new install of win 10. You might google on "windows update privacy". Or "windows 10 privacy".

George

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Concerning the automatic updates form Microsoft you're right. But what they're changing on your system is unknown. Probably, not sure, the post of Saorsa is related to the Microsoft updates.
    I know some of the updates of win 8.1 users are related to a new install of win 10. You might google on "windows update privacy". Or "windows 10 privacy".

George
    It comes under the heading of 'free pictures for desktop'

As I said, I had my own gallery I used but suddenly Microsoft liked theirs better or their images were added as available in the rotation.

I have always used Nikon Transfer to move images from my camera or cards to a specified directory (WIP for Work In Progress) now I find they are also showing up in othersystem programs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12