Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snow over the Beacons

Snow over the Beacons

First posting, taken a week ago, trying to get autumn colours with the snow on the hills, the sun appeared for a few minutes on a very damp and cold day.

Snow over the Beacons

Thoughts appreciated.

Lincs1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lincs1; 12th November 2008 at 11:03 PM.

Re: Snow over the Beacons

Hi Lincs1,

I don't think I am competent enough to give any technical feedback other than to say it is a good photograph. The cropping has given it a semi panoramic view - and I really like the contrast between the green fields and the snow in the distance. Looking forward to seeing some more of your shots.

Cheers, Richard.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

'ello mate

Did you use a tripod? As I think it could use a slight sharpening technique. Otherwise it's great. Although now I feel cold.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't think I am competent enough to give any technical feedback other than to say it is a good photograph. The cropping has given it a semi panoramic view - and I really like the contrast between the green fields and the snow in the distance. Looking forward to seeing some more of your shots.

Cheers, Richard.
    Thanks for your comments and feed back, there was too much fore ground and sky in the original so it stood the crop.

Lincs1

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseablue View Post

Did you use a tripod? As I think it could use a slight sharpening technique. Otherwise it's great. Although now I feel cold.

Mark
    Thanks Mark for your feed back, in answer to your question, it was taken using a tripod, level and Mirror Lock Up. It was sharpened using Unsharp Mask 100% 0.8pixels and 1threshold, maybe it could have stood a shade more.

Lincs1

Real Name
    Chris

I am surprised that you didn't get sharper with set up described, may be some has got lost in over-enthusiastic compression.

When using a lens as wide as this and including buildings, it might be a good idea to use a distrotion correction to stop the edges leaning in alarmingly..

...but mostly jealous that you got such a great shot with good light/sky and the natural contrasts in the landscape.

If you took 2 or 3 before the light went wrong, see if any of the others have less confusion between snow and cloud. I am always trying to get the mist blowing over the edge of the Malverns and meet this problem (but without the snow, which is a bit rare)

Chris

great colors, but like others, I would have it even better with more sharpness, mostly in the clouds...the landscape by itself is fine..just the clouds are kind of fuzzy...

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I am surprised that you didn't get sharper with set up described, may be some has got lost in over-enthusiastic compression.

When using a lens as wide as this and including buildings, it might be a good idea to use a distrotion correction to stop the edges leaning in alarmingly..

...but mostly jealous that you got such a great shot with good light/sky and the natural contrasts in the landscape.

If you took 2 or 3 before the light went wrong, see if any of the others have less confusion between snow and cloud. I am always trying to get the mist blowing over the edge of the Malverns and meet this problem (but without the snow, which is a bit rare)

Chris
    Thanks for your comments and interest.

I took several in a few minutes, this was the best, the sun shone for no more than five minutes and it was a case of working as quickly as possible to catch the light, when the sun had gone the cloud descended and it was difficult to make out the cloud and the snow.

atvinnys
    great colors, but like others, I would have it even better with more sharpness, mostly in the clouds...the landscape by itself is fine..just the clouds are kind of fuzzy...
    Thanks for the comment, there was little definition in the clouds, they were very fuzzy, but some good foreground colour.

Lincs1

Real Name
    Ian

I think the amazing contrast of snow in the background and green /yellow trees with green grass in the middle and foreground make this shot so unusual. Almost a composite?

I can understand what you mean about the clouds, although often snow clouds are thin wispy and ill defined.

You certainly get out into the landscape with some fine shots being returned.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I think the amazing contrast of snow in the background and green /yellow trees with green grass in the middle and foreground make this shot so unusual. Almost a composite?

I can understand what you mean about the clouds, although often snow clouds are thin wispy and ill defined.

You certainly get out into the landscape with some fine shots being returned.
    Thanks for the encouragement, there was certainly of a lot of luck in the timing here, there was probably just a five minute window when it appeared like this.

Lincs1