Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which monitor calibration device?

Real Name
    Dave

Which monitor calibration device?

I want to get a good monitor calibration device and nothing is available where I live so would probably order from B&H Photo.
    Can I get decent one for about $150.00?

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Which monitor calibration device?

Dave before I can give a good suggestion, it would help to know if you want to calibrate your monitor only and nothing else? You see I have one that will do my monitor, projector, and print from my printer. I will wait until I hear back before making any comments.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks Allan, I wish to calibrate just my monitors. I don't really do any printing. I was looking at the X-Rite ColorMunki Display which is a mid range device.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Dave,

Another location to search for a calibrating device would be an art supply store.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I use the ColorMunki Photo myself as I print, the ColourMunki Smile would probably work well enough, but I thing that the Display would be a better choice. I also have the Spyder 4 which I used before the ColorMunki, I found that for the most part my prints were good but sometimes certain colours were a bit off even with the Epson ICC profiles loaded. I later found out that Epson creates their ICC profiles using the X-Rite products. So I change to X-Rite, got the ColorMunki Photo and even just profiling the monitor, the prints that I had problems with were greatly improved. The price that B&H is showing today is a very nice price and free shipping.
    Hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks Allan, I'm leaning towards the ColourMunki Display and will probably order it later today.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dave - I bought the ColorMunki Display a couple of weeks ago. At the time (with exchange rates and taxes figured in); I found that Henry's had the best price (I also looked at Vistek in Canada as well as B&H and Adorama in the USA). I used their web store. I believe I had it within 3 days.

x-Rite products have been the industry standard for years. The basically bought out all of the main colour quality control companies over time including Pantone, Munsell, Gretag-MacBeth, etc. I understand that DataColor units are quite good as well, but most of the people I know use x-Rite.

This device replaced an ancient i1 unit that I've been using for at least a decade. Unfortunately, the drivers are not compatible with my operating system so I could not load them. I had a hard look at the ColorMunki Photo, but could not justify the additional cost right now; the paper manufacturer's profiles will do for now when I print.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 7th December 2015 at 05:44 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I just ordered Spyder Studio a few days ago from B&H...it will arrive today or tomorrow.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks Manfred I just ordered the ColorMunki Display.

Dave

Real Name
    Yes

I use a spyder with no problems.
    I chose the spyder studio over the colorMunkie because it is a single step calibration - the munkie requires a fine tune print and calibration (or did when I lookedat options) A step people often forget when calibrating prints is to let them dry fully before calibrating, the spyder studio allows this to be easily accomplished.

Real Name
    Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Thanks Allan, I wish to calibrate just my monitors. I don't really do any printing. I was looking at the X-Rite ColorMunki Display which is a mid range device.

Dave
    I've no experience with that one, but I've used the x-rite iDisplay for a couple of years and it works well.