Thread: Gujo Odori

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Gujo Odori

Gujo Odori is one of the many famous festivals in Japan. This one takes place in the middle of August where the towns people (and others) show up for an all night dance. The festival goes back to sometime in the 1600s.

I went monochrome in this image because the mixed artificial light caused some interesting colour casts. I could fix the skin tone of one person only to have another turn a sickly green.

Gujo Odori

Traditional yukatas and geta / a casual summer kimono-like outfit and wooden sandals are commonly, but certainly not universally worn by the dancers.

Real Name
    John

Re: Gujo Odori

Has a very cinematic feel to the capture, I get a sense of movement of the subjects just by the play of shadows and tones and perspective.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Has a very cinematic feel to the capture, I get a sense of movement of the subjects just by the play of shadows and tones and perspective.
    Thanks John - the colour temperature of the lighting might have been terrible, but the direction and distance made for interesting shadows to work with. I suspect this is where the cinematic / theatrical "look and feel" comes from.

Real Name
    Dean

Nicely captured, Manfred.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

When I saw the photo, I immediately thought it was captured at night. Then I read the narrative confirming it. Yet I have no idea what the lighting characteristics are that made me assume it is a night-time scene. Any ideas?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Yet I have no idea what the lighting characteristics are that made me assume it is a night-time scene. Any ideas?
    Mike a combination two things say "night shot" to me:

1. Dark sky; and

2. Distinct, hard, long and dark shadows.

Both of those characteristics could have been daylight characteristics. I wonder if the defining characteristic is the flare in the top right corner, implying that another light source was in the opposite direction of the light source creating the shadows.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Both of those characteristics could have been daylight characteristics. I wonder if the defining characteristic is the flare in the top right corner, implying that another light source was in the opposite direction of the light source creating the shadows.

Yes and no. Dark sky with artificial light are the main clues, but I agree that other light sources also show that it is night time.

We urban humans have a lot of experience seeing both daylight and night time with artificial lights, so all those subtle clues tell us what is happening.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am amazed at the conservatism of the Japanese people and their love for their culture. Even coming out of their homes with their national kimono dress to watch the celebrations, even sometimes on ordinary days going out...not many cultures do this anymore...the only one I can think of are the Chinese children in their cheongsam or qipao during Chinese New Year...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    .not many cultures do this anymore...
    You haven't been to Bavaria, in Germany or to Austria where people still wear the "Tracht" clothing on weekends.

I'm Bavarian by birth, so I do own and wear Lederhosen from time to time.

From Africa to Asia to South America to Europe, I have been to many places where these types of traditions continue.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I do own and wear Lederhosen from time to time.
    We need a selfie!

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

Monochrome really works well here. Nice one.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Forgot the Germans...hubby is part German and his "skirt" is forever in his closet because he doesn't want to show his legs. I have not been to any Asian countries since I married him, like yonks years...so I'd like to be forgiven for that...next year I promise him an Asian trip...

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    You haven't been to Bavaria, in Germany or to Austria where people still wear the "Tracht" clothing on weekends.

I'm Bavarian by birth, so I do own and wear Lederhosen from time to time.

From Africa to Asia to South America to Europe, I have been to many places where these types of traditions continue.