Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: To sleep, perchance to dream

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

To sleep, perchance to dream

Taken last winter in the Chinatown district here in downtown Toronto.
    This is a homeless man I see on the street summer and winter, often sitting in doorways busily writing in a notebook or on empty paper coffee cups.
    On this particular day he was asleep, leaning against a bank deposit machine so not to get wet on the slush covered sidewalk.
    Converted to black and white in Photoshop.
    motorized Nikon F2AS
    Tamron 35~105 2.8 AIS manual focus
    Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
    5.6 @ 1/125th
    To sleep, perchance to dream

Real Name
    John

Re: To sleep, perchance to dream

Nice capture.

Real Name
    Dean

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Ole

Great B&W. I would like a bit more information on the right side of the picture, but maybe that was not possible.
    Cheers Ole

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Good capture...I really like the conversion.

I like this picture very much. The only thing I would say is that it is a shame the person at the cash machine is in the picture. I feel they should have been completely cut out of the shot or more of them needed to be in it. This way I was slightly distracted trying to figure out what was in the right side of the picture.

Well done on the title as well. "To sleep, perchance to dream" is fitting in so many ways!

I like this picture very much. The only thing I would say is that it is a shame the person at the cash machine is in the picture. I feel they should have been completely cut out of the shot or more of them needed to be in it. This way I was slightly distracted trying to figure out what was in the right side of the picture.

Well done on the title as well. "To sleep, perchance to dream" is fitting in so many ways!

Real Name
    Griddi

I like the image very much, but feel too, the person taken out money should be cropped out ( Hi Manfred.....see, I learned more )

I also feel sorry for this homeless man, he must have a very hard life, cannot even lay down to sleep.......

Griddi......

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

tinally /Griddi,
    Thanks for the comments.
    I debated whether to leave in the sliver at our right or take him out. in the end I left it in for two reasons:
    1) So that there is a bit more space behind the subject so the shot isn't really "crowded into a narrow vertical, and
    2) Just because there is a bit of context as to where exactly the subject is standing: at a bank machine terminal, which adds a touch of irony to the shot. He is so close to a source of "comfort" from his problems and yet might as well be a million miles away.
    Robert
    Last edited by RBSinTo; 1st December 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
    I debated whether to leave in the sliver at our right or take him out. in the end I left it in for two reasons:
    1) So that there is a bit more space behind the subject so the shot isn't really "crowded into a narrow vertical, and
    2) Just because there is a bit of context as to where exactly the subject is standing: at a bank machine terminal, which adds a touch of irony to the shot. He is so close to a source of "comfort" from his problems and yet might as well be a million miles away.
    I completely understand your point and I think you are right: It would have been too crowded had you cropped it anymore. I think the problem is just that it is difficult to recognise that its a person, as so much of him is not in the shot. Perhaps the image should have been a little wider then? Again I agree that the juxtaposition between the sleeping man and the man taking money out of the cash machine is nice and adds a further dimension to the image.