Thread: Printing to a certain size

Real Name
    Richard

Printing to a certain size

The full face photo needed for U.S. passports needs to be a total size of 2 inches by 2 inches, borderless with a head size from top of the head to bottom of the chin between 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches.

How do I measure the head 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches when printing from Photoshop CS6?

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Printing to a certain size

To measure distances and angles in an image use the Ruler tool Richard.

Real Name
    Andrew

We just renewed our Canadian passports and found a change now calls for the photos to done by a professional photographer in person. Whatever that means. My usual stop would have been Costco but they were installing their nice new printers. Imagine my displeasure about having to kick out $50 to the professional 17 year old newbee at Wal-Mart. Oh well, between the dead batteries in the camera and the flash that wouldn't fire I got my moneys worth because it took her three tries to get things right.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The full face photo needed for U.S. passports needs to be a total size of 2 inches by 2 inches, borderless with a head size from top of the head to bottom of the chin between 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches.

How do I measure the head 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches when printing from Photoshop CS6?
    Set your blank canvas size (2" x 2") in PS first, make sure the rulers are showing, then set the guides up to the required head dimensions. Import your image on to a new layer, resize using the transform tool so that the head fits within the guides. Flatten layers and print on the smallest paper you have!

Well that's how I do it but there may be an easier way.

Mike

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Our passport require the same sized photo and dimensions. I imported the template into a layer of photoshop, reduced the transparency so I could see the head on the layer below and then just moved and scaled (lock ratio) the template so it covered the face at the right size and in the right place. Then used the crop tool to crop to required area (square), turned off template layer and used size to make 2" x 2" at 300dpi and printed at 100% (no printer scaling to fit page).

Alternatively you could just try using this online size and crop tool specifically for passport photographs. It looks like you upload the jpeg file to it and the tool will help you position, size and crop the photo so it conforms. I have never tried it but it looks like a good way of doing it.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 19th November 2015 at 09:36 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

How do the passport office know whether the shot was done by a "professional" from Walmart or Costco or Sam's or a private photographer or another person? Just curious...my husband renewed his driver's license and he was so annoyed at the result. He will soon have to renew his passport and I plan to do it myself in my studio so this will be a good exercise for me...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    How do the passport office know whether the shot was done by a "professional" from Walmart or Costco or Sam's or a private photographer or another person? Just curious...my husband renewed his driver's license and he was so annoyed at the result. He will soon have to renew his passport and I plan to do it myself in my studio so this will be a good exercise for me...
    If you have to attach the photo to the application I guess they can look at the back for the logo, if you upload they probably can't tell. I think the "professional" tag just means they want it done by someone who knows the rules for sizing; I wonder how many glamour photos they actually receive. I had someone do mine and at the last moment they said "oh you have to remove your glasses".

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    If you have to attach the photo to the application I guess they can look at the back for the logo, if you upload they probably can't tell. I think the "professional" tag just means they want it done by someone who knows the rules for sizing; I wonder how many glamour photos they actually receive. I had someone do mine and at the last moment they said "oh you have to remove your glasses".
    Maybe a rubber stamp should be made to order in this case...these "professionals" take ugly photos...have you ever heard of anyone really liking their passport photo or driver's license photos, etc.? Not one. OK...there's my vent.

Real Name
    J stands for John

My last two drivers photos are horrible but they simply used a P&S with its flash. It apparently is something to do with the biometric new secure PP system [ or sumthin! ] At least the Americans have me filed so last time they didn't take my photo on entry, only my wife's.

Be interested to know if they accept your photo Izzie, I doubt it from my experience

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Passport photographs aren't rocket science. According to the USA website giving information on passports the photographs do not need to be taken by a professional photographer but they certainly cannot be hand held selfies. I gave a link earlier to the part of the website that has a tool for sizing, positioning and cropping of a jpeg file so that it conforms.

Here is another link that gives instructions on how to take the photograph. I note they say it must not be altered by editing but I have always done the normal adjustments to exposure, contrast, sharpening and WB if needed. In NZ we have a website you can upload the photograph to and you get a message back a short time later advising whether it conforms or not.

Richard have you had a look at the website that has the answers? It should be very useful.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 20th November 2015 at 05:39 AM.

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks for the link...That is interesting...I will practice on my mannequin. When I got my passport renewed, we have to go to Chicago earlier so I can have my pp photo done by a "professional" before going to the Consulate. We thought we have to be there at a certain time before we go there so we ended up at the mall and I ended up buying some stuffs first then ran for our appointment. We were half an hour early still but we were in and out by 10 minutes on arrival only to be told (I asked) that we really did not have to go to that place the woman I talked to on the phone "recommended". Got my pp then went on an early flight back here in Missouri. When we go over to Chicago Bill doesn't want us to stay long there. And of course, my pp photo sucks but didn't say nuffin. I think I am just resigned to the fact that pp photos will always be ugly if not done the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Passport photographs aren't rocket science. According to the USA website giving information on passports the photographs do not need to be taken by a professional photographer but they certainly cannot be hand held selfies. I gave a link earlier to the part of the website that has a tool for sizing, positioning and cropping of a jpeg file so that it conforms.

Here is another link that gives instructions on how to take the photograph. I note they say it must not be altered by editing but I have always done the normal adjustments to exposure, contrast, sharpening and WB if needed. In NZ we have a website you can upload the photograph to and you get a message back a short time later advising whether it conforms or not.

Richard have you had a look at the website that has the answers? It should be very useful.