Thread: Adobe Placates Lightroom Users...

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Adobe Placates Lightroom Users...

Well, that's a relief.

After struggling with the new import interface in Lightroom and telling myself I would get used to it, this happened:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3005...ew-update.html

Consider me placated.

-rb

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Adobe Placates Lightroom Users...

My wife warns me about going to a newer version - I will never understand it, it will cost me heaps and get me into deep trouble. I am not sure that she was referring to any relationship I have with Adobe but why take the risk.

Signed: Lightroom 5 user.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 18th November 2015 at 08:46 PM.

Real Name
    John

I always review what are the benefits of upgrading, so far I'm happy with Lightroom 4, the only version I've owned although I tried the 30 day trial of version 5. Only reason I tried 5 was for the tethering feature but it was very basic so I didn't bother.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I always review what are the benefits of upgrading, so far I'm happy with Lightroom 4, the only version I've owned although I tried the 30 day trial of version 5. Only reason I tried 5 was for the tethering feature but it was very basic so I didn't bother.
    Once you are on the subscription plan, the upgrades just appear, and all you have to do is let the Creative Cloud software install the update. Since the upgrades are costless, unlike in the old model, a lot of folks (including me, most of the time) just let it upgrade. This time, a friend warned me in time. As a general rule, I am going to wait a week or two after every new release now.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

I was looking at Lightroom and Photoshop as possibles for replacing Aperture when 1) Apple pretty much killed Aperture altogether and 2) Adobe started offering the two applications together for a monthly subscription. It works for me.

But if you didn't see their new interface for imports in Lightroom, then you are definitely much better off for it. It was bad, really bad. I just find it a bit odd that the takeaway on this is Adobe is placating someone. They screwed up, plain & simple.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

so far I'm happy with Lightroom 4...Only reason I tried 5 was for the tethering feature but it was very basic so I didn't bother.
    I rarely use Lightroom but one of the things I do use it for is complicated cloning that exceeds the capabilities of the simplistic cloning tool in my everyday post-processing software. If you do much cloning, there is a huge improvement in Version 5 over Version 4 and there is yet another improvement (though less important) in Version 6.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    My wife warns me about going to a newer version - I will never understand it, it will cost me heaps and get me into deep trouble. I am not sure that she was referring to any relationship I have with Adobe but why take the risk.

Signed: Lightroom 5 user.
    Well LR5 user, I think that's a wise call.

Signed : CS6 user

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Well LR5 user, I think that's a wise call.

Signed : CS6 user
    Not even a free trial version? - no on second thoughts I am sure it would not be worth the hassle.

Real Name
    Grant

Having used computers in my daily work since 1968 (yes it was a steam powered computer), there is one lesson I have learned and that is to always upgrade your software regularly. If you don't you quickly fall behind and when you are finally forced to upgrade it becomes a time-consuming nightmare to get back up to speed with the latest version.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    Having used computers in my daily work since 1968 (yes it was a steam powered computer), there is one lesson I have learned and that is to always upgrade your software regularly. If you don't you quickly fall behind and when you are finally forced to upgrade it becomes a time-consuming nightmare to get back up to speed with the latest version.
    Hi Grant,

That's my issue, usually the upgrade only provides one or two new functions that I'm currently not using and can probably live without, example the tethering function for my particular camera; so even if I wait for three or four revisions to pass the learning curve isn't that steep.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Hi Grant,

That's my issue, usually the upgrade only provides one or two new functions that I'm currently not using and can probably live without, example the tethering function for my particular camera; so even if I wait for three or four revisions to pass the learning curve isn't that steep.
    For me, despite any misfires & related hassles, I try to keep to a rule of, "If you have it, keep it up to date." That's basically a protocol for me to assure I keep up on security related updates.

I am glad they walked back the import portion of this update. It was a good concept: making a more interesting interface. But it just wasn't doing the job well.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Thlayle View Post
    For me, despite any misfires & related hassles, I try to keep to a rule of, "If you have it, keep it up to date." That's basically a protocol for me to assure I keep up on security related updates.

I am glad they walked back the import portion of this update. It was a good concept: making a more interesting interface. But it just wasn't doing the job well.
    I agree about the updates, but upgrades are a different matter.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

I agree about the updates, but upgrades are a different matter.
    For sure. I wasn't noticing that distinction in the comment thread. I jumped in with the Photoshop/Lightroom CC Plan, so the update/upgrade distinction fades for me. I tend to be an early adopter as it is, and yes that practice does backfire at times.

I was just curious about any others at the CIC forum who have seen this 'improvement' that Adobe walked back. It was a fail and so much so that they had a lot of blowback from it. Having had workplace experience with cloud computing, I know that the software changes can roll out a lot faster, something that brought new headaches from time to time but also was a process that was pretty quick about fixing problems too. I just was wondering if others noted the irony in the term 'placated' as it was used to describe Adobe's fumble & recovery on this topic.