Thread: Cokin NUANCES Neutral Density Filters

Real Name
    Steaphany

Cokin NUANCES Neutral Density Filters

Inspired by Donald's posts 12-stop shot and I'm falling deeply and madly in love .... I have been looking into ND filters and want to know if anyone has used any of the Cokin NUANCES Neutral Density filters.

They are described as providing stunning neutrality and completely free of infrared pollution.

These also seem to be an investment with B&H offering the 84 x 84mm NUANCES Neutral Density 3.0 Filter ( 10 Stop ) for $115.99US

Are they worth the price ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Cokin NUANCES Neutral Density Filters

I've never used them myself but know three different people that told me they got rid of their Cokins because of quality issues and basic design issues with the filter holder. I can't comment on the Nuance line as the 10 stop filter was not available when I bought mine 10-stop ND. For long exposures you are also going to have to look at a filter holder; one that completely blocks out any ambient light. Just the filter alone will not work for the long exposure shots

I went with the 10-stop B+W MRC for around $150 (77mm diameter). Lee Big Stopper and the SinghRay lines are also considered to be high quality. I use the Lee line for ND filters and grad filters, but don't have the Big Stopper.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Like Manfred, I cannot comment on the Nuance line from Cokin.

The big criticism of Cokin NDs and GNDs filters over the years has been the issue of throwing a colour/color cast. The reason given by critics is because Cokin is pricing its products below those of such as Lee, Singh Ray, Tiffen, etc and, as such, the quality of the product is not so good.

Because I know I'm going to be making B & W images, that 'problem' with my Cokin GNDs is pretty irrelevant.

The question to answer as to whether they're worth the price, is - 'Do they produce an identifiable colour cast?' Reviews should provide an answer, as would B & H if asked.

Real Name
    mark

I was looking at these a while back. http://www.2filter.com/HitechFormatt/hitech8.html
    they are sort of between Cokin and Lee some people liked them better than lee on some points.