Thread: Numbering of multiple images

Real Name
    Andy

Numbering of multiple images

I have been asked to photograph a dressage competition where there will be about 50 horses taking part in the event. As part of the request, I am to present images of riders carrying out their dressage test, in order for competitors to purchase photographs.
    It has been advised, that I number each image so riders can easily identify which shot they want printed.
    I am not sure of the best way to show the images I have taken! Either On a (Windows) laptop with images in a loop - but don't know how to number each image. Or, a printed row of smaller thumbnail images so riders can identify which image they want.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    All the above is, of course, assuming riders want to purchasemy images in the first place!!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Numbering of multiple images

Andy I do not think you want to hear this, but here goes: shoot everything in jpeg as you do not have time to convert raw files, two get some one to down load the files on to laptop and in a folder for each rider. Have 6-8 small2-4GB SD cards so as you shoot one or two riders your helper can be downloading and creating rider files while you are shooting. Extra cards in-case the helper gets slowed down you can still keep on shooting. As you will be shooting j-pegs you should be able to get maybe 5 horses per card. It would be best if you had two laptops so people can see on one monitor and process on the other.

Cheers: Allan
    Last edited by Polar01; 14th November 2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: here to hear, my bad.

Real Name
    Andy

Hi Allan,
    Thanks - yes you are absolutely spot on. JPEG will be a must & second lap top too. A folder for each rider sounds a good idea 👍

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

As for numbering each image: If your method of displaying the images also displays the file name, simply use a file-naming convention that sequentially numbers each file.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Interesting assignment you got yourself into...

Real Name
    Brian Grant

I agree completely with small cards and an assistant. You won't be doing a lot of processing on site so I would recommend FastStone as the viewer for the competitors to pick pictures. It can be set to display the camera assigned image number as it goes through a slideshow.

My worlkflow would be to put the just shot SD card into the process computer this usually creates a unique folder, create and copy the files to the riders folder (which could be setup in advance from the program). Create a rider folder on the second laptop

Once the images are on the computer, the assistant could eliminate shots that are out of focus, cut off heads, etc. (This may not be a problem in dressage but hunter/jumper, performance and rodeo events can present problems). Copy the selected image to the riders folder on the first PC. Use a thumbdrive (or network) to copy the images to the second PC for display.

You will now have three copies of each image, baseline load, culled images and finally the display PC. If the thumbdrive is large enough, you would have a fourth on the thumbdrive.

If you have a printer available, it can be very profitable selling quick 4x6 or 8x10 images on the spot. Have a flier with the pricing for larger images. I found that many folks were less likely to do on-line orders and mom, dad, and grandparents are willing to spend on the spot with the image in front of them.

Good luck with the assignment.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I agree with the general flow and content of the advice; two extra people would be good - one collating and editing and one selling; laptops for viewing; segmented folders and number as per the JPEG files.

Apropos Brian’s business model; I agree people are less likely to buy on line, or more precisely people are more likely to buy in the hype and impulse of the moment, but that doesn’t mean that the goods need to be supplied on site, it can mean that the order is taken and paid for and the goods supplied later. (i.e. NOT printed on site).

If you are selling an higher quality product than quick edit and site printing, which is to be delivered later, then as well as the previews you need samples depicting that high quality product, in which case you should capture raw + JPEG; shoot very accurately apropos exposure and white balance and set you in camera JPEG post production files to look great on the monitor with little or no computer post production required - and you use the raw file for post production later

If you plan to sell prints on site, then: In any case you should shoot very accurately apropos exposure and white balance and also set the in camera JPEG post production so as to look great on the monitor and in a print with no computer post production, because time will be your greatest enemy.

If you choose to print on site and you haven't done this before, then I strongly advise that you have a test run first: it is not as easy as it seems.

Also consider the logistics: 50 riders; if 80% want a squiz at the photos, then that's 40 people wanting a look; each takes 2 minutes to view and gesticulate; that's 80 minutes if one viewing screen and only if viewing is continuum; 80% then want to order at 1 minute for each order, that's 32 minutes for taking orders. Consider printing time (if you choose to print on site). Consider how you're getting the files to the viewing area and how long that takes . . . etc.

After considering all these time elements, I think that you might find that there will be not much time at all for post production on site; and so that's why I wrote and why I am re-iterating now:

"In any case you should shoot very accurately apropos exposure and white balance and also set the in camera JPEG post production so as to look great on the monitor and in a print with no computer post production, because time will be your greatest enemy."

Good Luck.

WW