Thread: Product photography made easy

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Product photography made easy

How to make a product photo with a white background and a soft shadow. See this.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 10th November 2015 at 09:11 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Product photography made easy

Thanks for the link!

Quick and dirty is good . . .

. . . takes me about a 100 yrs to set up my bench top to get the equivalent and it ain't that good:

Lately, I've taken to deliberately blowing the background so the paper doesn't show - which of course necessitates several manual exposures to get that right . . .

Real Name
    Max

My phone takes pictures about as well as my camera sends texts, so no good to me, but a potentially handy thing for eBay sales stuff.

If you have a small object to photograph, and some basic lighting kit, you can blow out the background quite easily. I haven't yet mastered the "proper" way to do it, by manually selecting the object and pasting it on plain white, but I set my softbox pointing upwards, put my diffuser disc on top of it and shot from slightly above so that only the illuminated part of the disc was in shot. The softbox bulb was twice the strength of the one illuminating the object and I exposed for the object, blowing out the BG. The disadvantage of this is the flarey edges you can get on the object, it being against a lit BG and all, but I am working on this.

Thanks for sharing this post on how to bring perfection in Product photography. Thanks for this post. I am a newbie Port Macquarie Photographer so these kinds of tutorials are very beneficial for me. Keep sharing such stuff dear!!