Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

  1. #1
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Click image to see full size: 1,100px 459px
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th July 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add size info

  2. #2
    PopsPhotos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington (state) USA
    Posts
    984
    Real Name
    Pops

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    That one makes it worth the wait.

    Pops

  3. #3
    David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire and Dumfries & Galloway
    Posts
    732
    Real Name
    David

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Ali - Great shot - the sheen on the water is astonishing, with the reflections of the tiny street lights amplified and of the (church?) tower leading the eye back to the foreground. I appreciate, too, the layer structure of the image: foliage, water, far shore, sky, each with its own characteristics (rough and tumble of the greenery, smoothness of the water, dark mystery of the shore, and pastel colouring of the sky), yet still indicating depth and distance.

    Great!

    Cheers

    David

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Hi Ali,

    Great capture ... but there's still more to be wrung out of the post-processing!

  5. #5
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    What a beautiful scene - so tranquil. I think David sums it up beautifully.

  6. #6
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,786
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    I like the shot; it is a for real place, it looks like a cool evening after a long hot day.

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    15,983
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    It took me one year to come up with this
    Why? Did you plant the greenery?

    It is a nice image Ali, well done.

    It deserves to be seen full size though, hence my adding the "hint text" as to its true size.

    I don't doubt Colin can make it more colourful, etc., which may make it better, but it doesn't look 'wrong' now. Am I making sense?

    Cheers,

  8. #8
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Thanks, Pops!

    I posted an image here from the same lake (which is by the way in the middle of the city of Boston) last year. The main feedback was that it needs a foreground (which makes me laugh now, since I should have known this better, being a big fan of the director, Spielberg and his masterpiece "Jaws" => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyYYZ2QxvLg [go to 3:24 min ]).

    Anyway, I said took me one year not that I have been trying for a full year, just took me a full year or so to go back to the same place and this time include a foreground in the same scene Pretty slow I suppose....

    Alis

  9. #9
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Ali - Great shot - the sheen on the water is astonishing, with the reflections of the tiny street lights amplified and of the (church?) tower leading the eye back to the foreground. I appreciate, too, the layer structure of the image: foliage, water, far shore, sky, each with its own characteristics (rough and tumble of the greenery, smoothness of the water, dark mystery of the shore, and pastel colouring of the sky), yet still indicating depth and distance.

    Great!

    Cheers

    David

    Thanks a lot, David! That is very nice of you.

  10. #10
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

    Great capture ... but there's still more to be wrung out of the post-processing!
    Come on, be a little bit more specific, I was kidding about being nice

    But seriously, one thing is that the foreground now is too bright I guess, does not match the late evening darkness of the rest of the picture. This is actually three bracketted exposures and I blended them in PS manually.

    Also, it is a foreground now, but it has nothing pretty in it I guess. I have to tell you, it is very difficult to get closer to the water, I was afraid I may fall into the lake, which is pretty deep from the beginning

  11. #11
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Why? Did you plant the greenery?

    It is a nice image Ali, well done.

    It deserves to be seen full size though, hence my adding the "hint text" as to its true size.

    I don't doubt Colin can make it more colourful, etc., which may make it better, but it doesn't look 'wrong' now. Am I making sense?

    Cheers,
    I agree, Dave and thanks for adding the note. I am very curious to see how he will make it better, so that when I take a really nice one later, I have those things in mind during the capture and in when processing it.

  12. #12
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,786
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    You can ignore me if you like, I think the forground is a bit bright and would maybe be better a lot darker. But I think it should be bright. Maybe. confusing

  13. #13
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,786
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Ignore that rubbish statement I made. It is good everywhere except at the front. But with tweaking will be marvellous. It is a lovely image and one I would like to keep.

  14. #14
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Ignore that rubbish statement I made. It is good everywhere except at the front. But with tweaking will be marvellous. It is a lovely image and one I would like to keep.
    Thanks, Steve. by no means I meant to ignore your comment. Just missed that one, lost track. I agree with you. though that the foreground is unusually bright. I masked the bottom part of the shorter exposures but I think overdone that part.

    The whole process of playing with the exposure and layers and the fact that, unlike photographing people, I could sit there for a long time in total darkness and take a picture that looked like bright daylight was very exciting. Too bad I am not brave enough to do this outside the city, at the sea coast or in a mountain at that time of the day I need a buddy and that is what I do not have I guess

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Come on, be a little bit more specific, I was kidding about being nice
    Hi Ali,

    When I first saw it I thought that the actual capture was great ... but looking at the post-processing I thought ...

    - A bit more vibrance would bring out some of the colour in the sky and water

    - A bit of clarity would bring more definition to the clouds in the sky

    - Some of the foliage might look better cropped away

    - The foliage in the foreground was a bit bright and was competing against the rest of the image

    - A little vignette would help draw the eye into the scene

    So here's what I came up with in one of my notorious Photoshop 30-Second Makeovers (TM!) ...

    It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    * Now with "korrect schpellin"

  16. #16
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

    When I first saw it I thought that the actual capture was great ... but looking at the post-processing I thought ...

    - A bit more vibrance would bring out some of the colour in the sky and water

    - A bit of clarity would bring more definition to the clouds in the sky

    - Some of the foliage might look better cropped away

    - The foliage in the foreground was a bit bright and was competing against the rest of the image

    - A little vignette would help draw the eye into the scene

    So here's what I came up with in one of my notorious Photoshop 30-Second Makeovers (TM!) ...

    It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    * Now with "korrect schpellin"
    Thanks a lot, Colin! It looks exactly what I it should look like now.

    About clarity, I know you used the Jpeg to do this but when working with RAW, is there anywhere in PS to adjust clarity or you have to do it in ACR and before importing into PS?

    Thanks again,

    Ali

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Thanks a lot, Colin! It looks exactly what I it should look like now.

    About clarity, I know you used the Jpeg to do this but when working with RAW, is there anywhere in PS to adjust clarity or you have to do it in ACR and before importing into PS?

    Thanks again,

    Ali
    No worries Ali,

    Re: Clarity - I think you could probably accomplish the same thing with a USM - the clarity slider just makes it easier though.

  18. #18
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,786
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: It took me one year to come up with this, so be nice :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Thanks, Steve. by no means I meant to ignore your comment. Just missed that one, lost track. I agree with you. though that the foreground is unusually bright. I masked the bottom part of the shorter exposures but I think overdone that part.

    The whole process of playing with the exposure and layers and the fact that, unlike photographing people, I could sit there for a long time in total darkness and take a picture that looked like bright daylight was very exciting. Too bad I am not brave enough to do this outside the city, at the sea coast or in a mountain at that time of the day I need a buddy and that is what I do not have I guess
    I'll be your buddy I'm just to far away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •