Thread: Canon DO Lenses??

Canon DO Lenses??

I am wanting to purchase a Canon 400mm f4 and notice that all the adds use the term DO in the full lens description. What is the difference between these lenses (DO) and other L Canon lenses if any?

Thanks in anticipation

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Canon DO Lenses??

Hi John - welcome to CiC.

DO means that one of the lens elements is a fresnel lens (DO stands or diffractive optics). What this means is that by using the optical principle of using a series of tiny concentric angled lines results in having a relatively thin optical component can replace a piece of thick curved glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

As an end user, this means you get a smaller and lighter lens. So far as I know both Canon and Nikon use this type of optical element in some of their latest lens designs.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

DO means that one of the lens elements is a fresnel lens (DO stands or diffractive optics). What this means is that by using the optical principle of using a series of tiny concentric angled lines results in having a relatively thin optical component can replace a piece of thick curved glass.

As an end user, this means you get a smaller and lighter lens. So far as I know both Canon and Nikon use this type of optical element in some of their latest lens designs.

Many thanks for the prompt response. Your bottom line being as an end user it makes it possible to have a smaller lighter lens makes sense, much appreciated.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

Nikon refers to theirs as PF lenses with PF meaning Phase Fresnel.

Real Name
    Yes

Unfortunately the two early models using the diffractive optics by Canon - a 70-300 zoom and the 400mm prime both suffered from a problem with out of focus highlights, in much the same way as mirror lenses do. The latest version of the 400mm has changed the optical configuration to reduce this problem.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by John Cloran View Post
    . . . What is the difference between these lenses (DO) and other L Canon lenses if any?
    For clarity a small, but maybe important point:

At this time, none of the three Canon "DO" Lenses, (EF 400 F/4 DO IS USM; EF 400 F/4 DO IS MkII USM; EF 70 to 300 F/4.5~5.6 DO IS USM), is an "L Series" Lens.

DO Lenses sport a GREEN Band: L Series sport a RED Band.

If you want an L Series 400mm lens, then I am almost certain there are 5 (five) of those lenses in the EF range and none is an F/4 Lens. Obviously not all are current models:

400/2.8L; 400/2.8L MkII; 400/5.6L; 400/2.8L IS; 400/2.8L IS MkII

WW
    Last edited by William W; 28th October 2015 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added more detail