Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used dSLR Camera for Beginners

Real Name
    Sanjib Mukhopadhyay

Used dSLR Camera for Beginners

I am an absolute beginner to dSLR photography and intend to upgrade from my exsiting Canon SX510. But the thing is that my budget is not that high as to afford a new dSLR available in the market. I prefer to stick to Canon models because of familiarities with their menus and controls. Can I start with a used camera? I have got one eos 450D, 5yrs. old for Rs.12000/- and there is another 550D (1-1/2 yrs. old) which is Rs.3000/- more. What do you suggest? Presently 1$ = 65 INR

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Used dSLR Camera for Beginners

Used equipment can be a good bargain, if you know that it is in good condition or buy it from a vendor who guarantees it. Otherwise, it is a gamble. The times I have bought used equipment without a guarantee--only twice--it has been fine. However, you can't be certain.

Those two cameras are similar in design and controls. The 550D is a newer model. It has a much higher resolution sensor, and it has automatic sensor cleaning. I don't think the 450 does. However, when I switched to digital, I used an earlier version of the 450, and I got some very good photos from it. This site might be helpful: http://kiyas.la/en/digital-camera/compare/Canon-EOS-450D-vs-Canon-EOS-550D

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I would agree with Dan. If you are intending to purchase from a private seller as opposed to a reputable dealer, then look at some of the information available on the internet about buying cameras privately. These sites tell you want you should look for and the questions you should ask.

You did not say, but I assume the cameras that you are looking at also have a lens included in the price? If buying privately, you need to check both the camera body and the lens.

Real Name
    Richard

If video is not needed, I might recommend a Canon 40D. This is an older workhorse of a camera which can be found in many areas at quite a low price,

I prefer the 40D and or the 50D because of the better (IMO) control system. The dual dial control system allows you to easily switch shooting parameters without needing to revert to the menu.

Here are some shots that I did in China using both the Canon 30D and the Canon 40D.

https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/CH...2010-LI-RIVER/

The 30D is also a viable camera choice (at usually a very low price) but, I prefer the 40D for several reasons including the auto cleaning system.

Yes I agree with 40D.

When I upgraded to a 7D I had mine reconditioned and kept it as a spare. Although now that I also have the Mk II 7D I don't need the 40D so have offered it to a few friends for the price that I paid for the servicing; but no takers so far. Maybe one day I might advertise it but at the moment it can sit in a cupboard with no problems.

Real Name
    Dan

I didn't think that the 40D/ 50D was an option, but I agree--the ergonomics and controls are far better than on the Rebels like the 450 and 550D. The 40D and 50D are very similar in some respects, but the 50D has a few advantages. They are both very cheap here in the US now. I know, because I sold my 50D last year, and it didn't fetch much.

Real Name
    J stands for John

As one who used cameras like what you already have I would council you to think about what you do and appreciate that a DSLR of any kind is for the rich person .... you pay for what you get and compared the the capabilities of the SX510 what you can afford will be very limiting. I eventually have moved to MFT as the larger sensor was my main complaint with bridge cameras. This opens up the ability to use higher ISO .... for IQ reasons I limited myself to 100 ISO with my bridge cameras but I have sacrificed 'reach' from 950mm back to 280mm [with 476 with a tele adaptor].
    For awhile I had a 60D purely becuase it enabled me to use my bellows and extension tubes from film days but as a camera apart from an innitial enthusiasm with the 'new toy' it was rarely used [never actually] for my bridge cameras. and eventually was given away to what appeared a 'good cause'.

But I do not know what sort of photography you engage in and the slowness of the SX510 at full zoom would be a drawback without the ability [ ability measured in IQ terms, not what the maker says it will do ] to compensate with higher ISO. I believe you would face similar restrictions with any of the cameras suggested above with the cost of equivalent reach to the SX510 being prohibitive to you financially.

Photography is more than pretty pictures taken with a DSLR ... high quality mush with little merit ... mush being a polite word instead of the one I would use if speaking to you I suggest that you go back to the SX510 and really use it to its capabilities .... the only alternative IMO would be a Panasonic FZ200 with its constant f/2.8 throughout the zoom range ... that truely would be a step up whereas a DSLR is a step backwards.

Real Name
    Sanjib Mukhopadhyay

Thnx a lot for your very straight forward answer and constructive suggestions. I am really impressed and would love to hear the "impolite" version of mush -- Thnx a lot once again.

Real Name
    Sanjib Mukhopadhyay

Thnx a lot Dan. Your photos are really impressive!! I have enjoyed a lot and more than enthused. Those shots of wilted flowers and both the night photos of Christian Science Plaza were awesome. I am giving more weight age to your views than those of John. His suggestions are true but a bit unpalatable for a beginner to start with. OK let me start with a used one and lets see how it progress.

Real Name
    Sanjib Mukhopadhyay

Yes Donald, both the cameras include the 18-55 kit lens and one of them is available with an additional 50 mm/f1.8 lens and another with a 55-250 lens. However, both of them are from individual seller. OK let me start with and as you people are around me, I am confident that I will get always someone to look back upon.

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

If you are looking for a used DSLR I suggest you do not limit yourself to Canon. Having owned/used quite a few Canon and Nikon cameras over the years you will I think find it easy to get familiar with Nikon's menu system. There are some great Nikon DSLR's to be had used. I would watch out for a used D300 in particular. It is robust, has a great viewfinder (no video) and excellent focussing. I had one for years. Sold it because I'm gone to full frame now.
    Good luck in your quest.

Real Name
    Colin

Many years ago I got the Canon 300D and was delighted with the results once I'd added a better lens than the 'kit' lens that came with it. Some time later I decided to get the 400D and once again was delighted with the results. However, I increasingly became uncomfortable with the feel of the 400D in my hand compared with the 300D. The 400D was physically smaller than the 300D and I ended up adding a battery grip. Admittedly I have large hands but the point I'm making is that if possible try and hold the camera to see if it feels comfortable and easy to control.

Either way the 450/550 is capable of very good results.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cauger61 View Post
    Thnx a lot Dan. Your photos are really impressive!! I have enjoyed a lot and more than enthused. Those shots of wilted flowers and both the night photos of Christian Science Plaza were awesome. I am giving more weight age to your views than those of John. His suggestions are true but a bit unpalatable for a beginner to start with. OK let me start with a used one and lets see how it progress.
    Thanks for the compliment. I think any of the cameras suggested will allow you to progress. The keys are practice, study, and patience more than equipment.

Real Name
    Sanjib Mukhopadhyay

Excellent Dan!! Really getting encouraged by your words. Don't mind if I make you disturbed, may be sometimes with silly questions, time to time. If you have no reservations, pls. post some photos of social events (yours as well as of others). They are the most challenging ones I feel, because you sometimes need to satisfy others. With best regards.

Real Name
    Dan

By all means, this is the place to post questions.

I do some events, but I don't post those photos. I do them for the people at the events and therefore don't feel comfortable posting them for the public.

Real Name
    Richard

Cauger... The IS (image stabilization) version of the 18-55mm lens is a better lens than the earlier (non-IS) version.

If you are looking at getting it DSLR gear, my first thought is to look at the lenses available across all brands concentrating on the correct lens for the kind of photography you intend. Consider hiring equipment to evaluate it. Once you make a decision to invest in a brand it is not cheap to change. I would get the best lens you can afford and then look at the body... In considering a body, apart from the age of the model and its capability - which you can look up in sites like dpreview.com I would want to be aware of the lens count and condition of the camera. There is a big difference between a good lightly-used camera and one that has been thrashed. You can get software that will accurately tell you the lens counts on various brands and models.

Real Name
    Marc

I do prefer Nikon, because the IQ, especially the DR of the Sensors here is since 2007 way better than Canons, but besides Nikon (DX) i do have also Canon DSLR into APS-C & FF terms. To the Question: The Best Camera is that one, that's with you...to quote Chase Jarvis...and the one, which you feel good, familar with it...i won't choose a DSLR with too many advanced features, especially not the 8th sublevel Menu system, which does overstrain every new beginner for digital photography, or better said, DSLR or DSLM, here.

You might check that you want more than the usual suspects, that means the typical 18-55 Kitlens into here...they're good for 90-95% of all things, but within time you may want a ultra wide lens for landscape or architecture photography, or a telephoto lens for wildlife, birdie, etc photography...or you want some faster lens then, the kitlens are always F3.5 to 5.6 now, but that's too confusing for starters.

I can only say, you can take great pictures with any camera, even if mostly starters are using the (full) Auto mode, which is okay for beginners, or the P-mode alternative.

Have a look at the tutorials section here and be passionate, demanding, mindful about photography...one could learn so much about it...and don't give up in case you struggle with the technical part, or sometime loosing interest to make pictures...it happens from time to time...for everybody...no master appears from nowhere..it'll take some time...and years....for sure, it's a demanding hobby, within time one want better gear, mostly lenses, bodies, accessoires...but it does make lots of fun, i do use it for trying to keep my minds eye into photographs, to get relaxed, and to keep track of my present memories, moments in life...it's always nice to look at good pictures back in time.

Into the End, i think it's a good idea to buy Camera Gear 2nd hand, because one wouldn't spent a whole lot of money, if you may encounter after some time, weeks, months...it just isn't the right hobby for you...you haven't lost so much money...well...always good light...

Marc

Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Used equipment can be a good bargain, if you know that it is in good condition or buy it from a vendor who guarantees it. Otherwise, it is a gamble. The times I have bought used equipment without a guarantee--only twice--it has been fine. However, you can't be certain.

Those two cameras are similar in design and controls. The 550D is a newer model. It has a much higher resolution sensor, and it has automatic sensor cleaning. I don't think the 450 does. However, when I switched to digital, I used an earlier version of the 450, and I got some very good photos from it. This site might be helpful: http://kiyas.la/en/digital-camera/compare/Canon-EOS-450D-vs-Canon-EOS-550D
    Sorry to disturb, but the 450D like the 400D also have had sensor cleaning feature inside the Body...it's also somehow overrated, i've seen dusty Canons whereas the sensor cleaning feature couldn't shake off all dust particles from the sensor, well, technically the IR Filter and other glas in front of the sensor, you know what i mean.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Once again we have the hoary old comment about the family when for most people the family is an expensive dare I say waste of money and most get along perfectly happilly with one or two lens which is answered by all makes. The menu question is far more important and I have got to know Panasonic over the last decade and 'cannot stand' the Olympus system.

One of the serious drawbacks to a SLR is the fact that it has inter-changable lens ability and people are forever nagged by the question "what lens should I add to my stable". For years with film none of my numerous cameras had more than a 'standard' lens and only with digital did I enjoy the versatility of numerous focal lengths .... but saved from 'the question' by the fact that bridge cameras are not ILC [ except for one maker, Pentax I think ] while I repeatedly read about the 'question' and 'family' on blogs. In recent years I joined the ILC clan but lesson learnt and other things to spend my money on I bought just one lens, a x10 zoom which though supposedly the inferior original model has served me well and continues to do so.

It HAD to be a x10 zoom because I was used to x12 zooms on my bridge cameras ...being spoilt by the bridge cameras I found despite the better quality of MFT over bridge extremely frustrated by just a x3 zoom [28-84mm] of my first MFT.

So moving to a DSLR with just a short zoom is a step backwards from the bridge camera Cauger is used to ... unless you equal or near so the zoom range of the bridge ... in my case a 35<432mm for 28<280mm and of course the larger sensor 6x4 to 17x13 mm

So for the person with limited funds I am not sure a DSLR is a good idea when I consider I spent best part of NZ$2000 [US$1240 or 80,600INR] with freight/import duty from the States to achieve what I wanted which was a larger sized bridge camera without the weight of the DSLR equivalent. I had a DSLR at one time [ D60 not a 60D ]which confirmed my distaste and gave it away when MFT joined the 'stable' [ literally to what I thought was a good cause ] Though it did take good photos with my Takumar 50mm lens from Pentax film days.
    Used dSLR Camera for Beginners

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast