Thread: Problem opening PSD files in Raw

Problem opening PSD files in Raw

I am using CS5 and have many images that started as NEF files and have been adjusted using Camera Raw 6.7. Some have layers that have been "Flattened" and some have layers still visible. I have tried to open them again in RAW to carry our some further adjustments (best done in RAW). Why can't I open them? I can't see the option to select "Open with Raw" I am sure I have done this before, can anyone help please. I have "Open with Adobe CS5" (default), COM Surrogate 6.1, and Notepad++ that not really associated with image manipulation.

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

Re: Problem opening PSD files in Raw

There are options in Camera Raw Preferences (under EDIT in CS5) for opening JPEG and TIFF files in ACR. You need to check the option for TIFF. Can you open them as PSD files in CS5 and then save them as TIFF? You should then be able to open them in ACR and have access to the adjustments.

Real Name
    Dan

Welcome to CiC. Please add your name and location to your profile? We use real names here, and your location will often help people offer better advice.

If they have layers, you have adjusted them in more than camera raw. Photoshop creates PSD files, but camera raw itself doesn't. Once you have a PSD file, you can only get back to the raw image by giving up the edits you did to create the PSD file, that is, go back to the raw file, with or without the camera raw edits.

However, you can use camera raw to edit files that are not in the raw format. If that is what you mean, you can see how to do it here. I don't know about CS5--it's been a long time since I used it--but in current versions, you use the 'file open as' option. There is no 'file open as raw.' Check the video.

Real Name
    George

I don't have CS, but are you trying to open the NEF-file or the PSD-file?

George

Real Name
    Terry

Camera Raw and Photoshop are two different pieces of software.

Camera Raw does not recognize .psd files of any kind. It is also incapable of supporting layers at all. So any file including layers will not be recognized in Camera Raw and it will not accept them. Including .tif files that are layered.

Camera Raw will, however, open a flattened (single layer) .tif file. It will also open .jpg files but they are always a single layer anyway.

The only way to retain your layers and have access to Camera Raw is to upgrade from CS5 to CC. One of the features in CC that came about after CC’s inception is called Camera Raw filter. This is a filter that takes the chosen (highlighted) layer back into Camera Raw where most, but not all, of the tools are then available for manipulation.

One example of a good use of this feature is to stamp visible layers, giving you a flattened layer consisting of all visible layers stamped (flattened) into one layer on top of, and not affecting your existing layer stack. Then using the Camera Raw filter on this single layer taking it back into Camera Raw for further adjustment. If you don't like what has happened all that needs to be done is either "undo" to the point of origin, or just delete that stamped layer and start over. Again, none of your previous layer hiearchy will be affected. The beauty of non-destructive editing.

To me, this is the best update since Adobe started the subscription model and the best thing since sliced bread! You then get access to ACR at any point in Photoshop (as long as you use it on only one layer, and that can be any non-adjustment layer, not just a “stamp visible” layer) while retaining all previous layers in the .psd.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Camera Raw is a raw converter with parametric editing capabilities. It is not a full-blown editing tool like Photoshop.

The way it works when you open a raw file is that, depending on how you have set it up, will either write the edit data to a sidecar file (same name as the raw file, but with an .xmp extension) or as an Adobe DNG file. The moment you have layers, this file will have been edited in Photoshop and can no longer be directly edited with the Camera Raw editor. Some later versions of Photoshop do have a Camera Raw filter that allow you to use Camera Raw functionality within Photoshop, but I don't know if this was available in CS5.

Once you have opened the image in Photoshop, this is the appropriate tool to do further edits unless you want to start over again. If you open the NEF file, any Camera Raw edits you have made will be in place (and can be changed0, unless you have deleted the sidecar file, in which case you will have to start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndukes View Post
    There are options in Camera Raw Preferences (under EDIT in CS5) for opening JPEG and TIFF files in ACR. You need to check the option for TIFF. Can you open them as PSD files in CS5 and then save them as TIFF? You should then be able to open them in ACR and have access to the adjustments.
    I could not find options in CS5 only in Bridge, and that did not refer to ACR at all, mine was set to "Automatically open TIFFs with settings", the other options was "Automatically open All supported TIFFs"

From the other postings I think I have got the message about OPENING PSD's whilst layers are used, I thought I had done this in the past, but am obviously wrong.

Thanks to all

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What current camera are you using? I had that same problem when I bought a D810 and CS5 does not want to open NEF files because they wanted me to buy CS6 or CC. I ended up using On One Suite to open my NEF file and translate the file to PSD so that I can edit it properly. (I didn't know at the time that my student ID is still current till the day I die so I was told) so I as soon as I knew about it, my ID I mean...I bought CS6 and I have been right since then.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Nodarvch

The other thing you might be thinking about is the use of a Smart Object when you open a raw file image in PS from ACR. When you open the image in PS from ACR, if you hold the shift key down the image will open up in PS as a Smart Object. You can then add filters to this Smart Object in PS to your heart's content. At any time however, if you double click on the icon in the Smart Object layer, it will re-open the file in ACR and you can do further edits in ACR on the raw file. When you are finished, click OK and you will go back to PS where the Smart Object will be updated with the image from the re-edited raw file.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 13th October 2015 at 02:53 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

I save my files as PSD Master files and keep the RAW files.

The Master file has color, exposure and contrast adjustments. In fact, it has all the corrections EXCEPT cropping, resizing and output sharpening...

The cropping, resizing and output sharpening is done when I know the ultimate use for the image. If I need to change a master image, I open it as a PSD in Photoshop and work on it in Photoshop or with the Photoshop Plug-ins NIK Software and/or On-One Perfect Photo Suite.

Richard I had that problem years ago I could not open my files I downloaded a fix for this from: http://www.ardfry.com/nef-codec/ I think I paid about £15 for it. Never had any further problems since installing this. To answer your question about cameras. Nikon D2x & D3.

See my posting at the time: Query Viewing NEF (Nikon) Files with IE version 8
    Last edited by Nodarvch; 13th October 2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional information

Real Name
    Peter

"I have tried to open them again in RAW to carry our some further adjustments (best done in RAW). Why can't I open them?"

You can't but you can open flattened Tiffs in ACR.

As I am using CS5 I thought that Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) as a Photoshop Filter is not available to me so it's not a great help to me. I used to upgrade my Photoshop about every two years but as a pensioner the cost of upgrading any further with Cloud and monthly payments is something I have decided not to participate in.

Real Name
    Richard

I was fortunate in that I was able to purchase what was one of the last few Adobe Photoshop CS6 boxed editions available (at a rather low price) that Adobe obviously was trying to get rid of.

I plan on staying with CS6 for as long as I possibly can and have added both NIK and OneOne plug-ins which really (IMO) upgrade the capabilities of CS6...

Thanks Richard, I was not aware of the CS6, I would have purchased it if I had known about it. I have had Photoshop since the first edition, but typically loyalty does not count these days. I don't suppose Adobe will miss me as a customer. I am aware a number of retired photographers who agree it's now got to expensive for our age group. I to plan on staying with CS5 for as long as I possibly, I also have NIK.

Real Name
    Andrew

Izzie when you import your photos into Lightroom if you select convert to dng you can then use RAW to edit.