Thread: Fountain

Real Name
    randy

Fountain

Fountain

Real Name
    raymond

Re: Fountain

Would have nice to compare pics if you also shot a slower shutter speed and elimate the bottom distractions in the photo .

Real Name
    Greg

I agree with Ray, try cropping it to the bottom of the first tier Randy

Real Name
    John

Or use it for social commentary on the disgrace of littering, I'd definitely send the image to local politicians and perhaps a neighborhood group.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Randy,

From the EXIF: Nikon D750, 50mm at f/1.4, ISO 100, 1/4000s

I agree, there's a lot of stuff at the bottom of frame that shouldn't be there, some might have been removed before taking the shot, others bits removed in crop and clone operations.

However, if I were to guess, I suspect this might perhaps be a 'record shot' of something you've perhaps built (or cleaned) yourself, possibly in your garden? In which case, some of the stuff below is valid to include.

I see the wide aperture has forced the fast shutter speed, which has frozen the water drops - did you try any shots narrower apertures and slower shutter speeds? A bit slower would give elongated falling and splashing drops, giving a sense of movement, or a really slow speed for a 'continuous flow' effect.

I have found shooting fountains like this always gives the dilemma over what height to shoot from; as you may found found - and others can imagine - moving the camera up or down slightly makes huge differences to the 2D shape of the ellipses of the various levels of the bowls and base. I think your choice here is good.

Final thought - is it illuminated? I wondered what a night shot might look like

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    randy

Dave has actually hit the nail on the head in regard to the stuff at the base of the fountain. This is private property and the owner is apparently cleaning and preparing for winter. A couple years ago, he was not as diligent and had to replace the original for 20,000 bucks! That said, I will do a little cleaning myself and see about removing the debris with my cloning tool

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I thought it is your fountain and you were in the process of cleaning it then got bored and took a shot of it instead in stages...Then the distraction at the bottom would have been understandable...

Real Name
    randy

Close, Izzie, I had just fertilized the lawn and snapped the pic on the way to the door to drop off invoice

Real Name
    randy

Fountain

latest iteration

Real Name
    Chris

That does look a lot a lot better. The only little nitpick that I have, is the cloning repetition, lower left and on base stone. Probably not noticeable by the casual observer, though quite obvious to anyone who has ever used the clone tool.

I understand the difficulty here, as the area that needs cloning doesn't offer a lot of choices of vegetation that is suitably sharp to fill the space.

I suppose the adage: "Better to get it right in-camera than in post production" could be applied here - something I struggle with daily!

Nice cleanup work Randy.