Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does white balance matter in RAW?

Re: Does white balance matter in RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by neverhood311 View Post
    Whoa, this thread got wildly off track since I last checked it.
    Do we get extra points for that?

PS: seriously, you had some pretty good replies. Now it's just the vultures picking over the bare bones.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Dammit man - that's what we're here for. That and the baaanaaanaas.

#does little vulture dance#

I'm from Seattle and I go to school in Utah
    Real Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    PS: seriously, you had some pretty good replies. Now it's just the vultures picking over the bare bones.
    Yes, it's very true. Thanks to all who shed some light on the answer to my question.

NO...

If want to learn more, see UniWB http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....ssage=32188398

Balancing the channels with filters
    http://www.libraw.org/articles/magen...n-digicam.html
    http://www.club-nikon.ru/forum/index...1&#entry308411
    There is no cc30m multi-coated, but the FL-D from Hoya

some WB needed after all ... or ... is this a RAW topic ?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by tassebem View Post
    some WB needed after all ... or ... is this a RAW topic ?
    It was 3.5 years ago when the last post was made prior to yours ...

Real Name
    Richard

Let me muddy the waters somewhat in a thread that has already become redundant...

There are certainly times in which the white balance of the light illuminating your subject matters. That is when you are shooting under a mixed lighting situation, say: part of your image illuminated by fluorescent light (often the background) with another portion of your image (often the closer main subject) illuminated by electronic flash...

Despite the ease of adjusting your color balance in camera RAW, you can have a devil of a time adjusting for that mixed light situation. That is when it may be best to filter your flash to match the color of the florescent lights (usually with a green filter) and then adjust the color balance of your image globally in Camera Raw...

Another thing, if you are shooting in daylight and have chosen a tungsten color balance (even when shooting RAW) the image you may view on your LCD monitor will be skewed.

Additionally, if I select an inappropriate color balance in shooting RAW, it will open in Camera Raw skewed to that color. As an example, it will look very blue if I have set the camera to tungsten and shot the image in daylight. Of course, it is easy to compensate for this but, IMO, using the Auto white balance brings me closer to the optimum right from the start...

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Let me muddy the waters somewhat in a thread that has already become redundant...

There are certainly times in which the white balance of the light illuminating your subject matters. That is when you are shooting under a mixed lighting situation, say: part of your image illuminated by fluorescent light (often the background) with another portion of your image (often the closer main subject) illuminated by electronic flash...

Despite the ease of adjusting your color balance in camera RAW, you can have a devil of a time adjusting for that mixed light situation. That is when it may be best to filter your flash to match the color of the florescent lights (usually with a green filter) and then adjust the color balance of your image globally in Camera Raw...

Another thing, if you are shooting in daylight and have chosen a tungsten color balance (even when shooting RAW) the image you may view on your LCD monitor will be skewed.

Additionally, if I select an inappropriate color balance in shooting RAW, it will open in Camera Raw skewed to that color. As an example, it will look very blue if I have set the camera to tungsten and shot the image in daylight. Of course, it is easy to compensate for this but, IMO, using the Auto white balance brings me closer to the optimum right from the start...
    Thanks for what I think is a most helpful post !
    I have read the whole thread and your post reaffirms the same principles posted before.

Thank you !

New member here - first search on WB clipping brought me to this thread - glad you kept it around!
    Heard confusing (brief) discussion of this at photography seminar - left with impression the WB setting could actually affect the RAW file. But from this thread, it reaffirms my original understanding that RAW is RAW and unless the photog changes settings based on camera jpg, es macht nicht.

A question not addressed - is this the same for all manufacturers?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Does white balance matter in RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by rdverb View Post
    New member here - first search on WB clipping brought me to this thread - glad you kept it around!
    Heard confusing (brief) discussion of this at photography seminar - left with impression the WB setting could actually affect the RAW file. But from this thread, it reaffirms my original understanding that RAW is RAW and unless the photog changes settings based on camera jpg, es macht nicht.

A question not addressed - is this the same for all manufacturers?
    Welcome - great to have you with us.

I can't say "all" categorically, but probably. WB is a processing choice (either in-camera or post-processing), so it doesn't affect the capture. However, WB selection may affect the choice of exposure which of course will affect the RAW data captured.

Try it - take a couple of RAW shots (camera on tripod) at diff WB settings - process at same WB settings - and see if there's a difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12