Thread: comparing a Close-up lens with the basic 16/20mm extension tube set

Real Name
    J stands for John

comparing a Close-up lens with the basic 16/20mm extension tube set

A plant beside my access path to my house has been teasing me for some time as first it grew and currently is flowering.

maybe what the 2 d would do with Brian's existing lens

adding the 16 to the 20 gives you 36mm extension
    And I tried to show what just the 16mm would give me .. I suggest as a first off general purpose addition when hunting small things.

And if shaking [JBW] is too bad then a cheap hot-shoe **flash and a bit of experimentation as far as exposure and any old flash picked up s/h should work* as you do not need power when working at close distances ...probably how to cut back its power with facial tissues will be in order .... the flash I started with had a guide number of 56 with 100 ISO film that gave me f/5.6 at ten feet f/11 at 5 feet and problems when I wanted to photograph a white wedding cake [ though negative B&W film could be over exposed ] as I needed f/32 but didn't have it and had not twigged onto facial tissues et al.
    * in addition to the flash you will probably need a shoe between camera and it into which the flash units sync cord plugs.
    Like this if the camera doesn't fire the flash ...The PC socket in the front accepts the sync cord.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html

edit ...
    Only the 36mm extension tubes gives me the 40mm across subject that I am used to with my bridge camera and the 2 dioptre.

** edit 9/7/15 Careless! onboard really to me suggest the built-in which in lieu of external flash is worth a try and experimenting with as I suggested elsewhere. They are usually quite controllable these days
    Last edited by jcuknz; 7th September 2015 at 03:53 AM.