Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to confess to an act of gross stupidity

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Time to confess to an act of gross stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Well I'd had some practice after the rugby ... and then I calmed down a bit after the world cup netball final
    I am truly sorry you had a reason to calm down....

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Donald,

I am sorry for your troubles and I hope you get some positive resolution for your difficulties.

marie

Real Name
    Greg

Not much can be said about accidents like this Donald, they just happen
    Hope it all works out well for you soon

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for comments.

BTW for all you folks 'down under', I see Scotland allowed Ireland to win at the weekend in the first of the warm-up games for the rugby world cup. We're just getting ready to peak at the right time!!

Anyway, to start looking for some positives on the 'bounce-the-camera-on-the-concrete' saga. Just back from having delivered body (with battery grip, which seemed to take the main impact) and lens to Scotland's authorised Canon repair centre. Initial thought was that the body might be okay, but that the lens looks decidedly unwell! They'll send me a report for the insurance company by Thursday.

My insurance broker made positive noises and could not see that there should be any problems with the claim.

Watch this space for further updates!!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Watch this space for further updates!!
    Looking forward to them!

Real Name
    Keith

Not stupidity Donald, just a momentary loss of concentration. We all do it from time to time and it is our personal nightmare. Best of luck with the repairers and the insurance company. It will all turn out right in the end.

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you all for comments.

BTW for all you folks 'down under', I see Scotland allowed Ireland to win at the weekend in the first of the warm-up games for the rugby world cup.
    "ALLOWED"?

As regards your camera and lens, I hope the insurance company pays up. In my experience they tend not to quibble these claims. Let's hope it gets sorted in time for your trip.

Back in 1973 (I think) I was taking photographs of coastal cliffs in Co.Donegal and, before driving off I placed my Praktika SLR on the roof of my Ford Capri while I removed a sweater. Forgot about the camera and drove off only to watch the camera with 50mm lens attached tumbling to the ground in my rear view mirror.
    No damage done! Those cameras were built to last.

Have a great trip.

I really feel for you.

Donald,

Is there any word about whether you can expect to get your camera and lens back before you go on vacation?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Donald,

Is there any word about whether you can expect to get your camera and lens back before you go on vacation?
    Thanks for asking, Mike. Just had it confirmed that I won't have it back by the end of next week.

I got the estimates for repair, with the camera/grip and the lens each coming in at just over 350GBP. So the total repair bill is about 730GBP. I've sent that estimate off to the insurance company. The repair centre say it will be about two weeks from when they get the go ahead.

So, I will just have the 7DMkII body and my widest lens will be 24mm. But, I'll just have to compromise and be aware that I don't have an ultra-wide angle, nor a full-frame body, in the bag.

I have to say that I was amazed at how low the estimates were, particularly for the lens. I can only surmise that these things are indeed built like tanks and it takes an awful lot to really cause significant damage to the interiors. I really thought the lens would be a write-off. But I am confident in the work of A J Johnstone and that the estimates do specify that in respect of the body, the battery grip and the lens, "FULL SYSTEMS CHECK AND TEST TO CANON SPEC..".

So, now I wait and hope that the insurance company turns my claim form around quickly and gives me clearance to go. If they don't, I will, of course, still go ahead and authorise the repair. I'll just have to skip my wine order for Burgundy for next month!!
    Last edited by Donald; 28th August 2015 at 02:38 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I feel for you, Donald. Unfortunately statistics always win and if we in-fact use our equipment odds are that one of these "acts of stupidity" will befall each of us sooner or later. Hope it all works out as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I feel with you, Donald. Hope it all works out.

Never dropped any camera bodies or lenses so far, which I guess significantly increases the statistical likelihood that I will do so soon. However, to make up for this embarrassing omission I once left my camera on a bench on the top of a hill and only noticed it the moment when I was all the way down in the valley. Never before or since, I made the 1000 ft uphill that fast, despite having hiked 15 miles before - it's amazing what undreamed-of powers a decent rush of adrenaline can evoke. Back at the bench, I was fortunate enough to meet a nice and honest guy who told me with a wry grin that he spotted me way down on the trail and instantly knew by the haste I was in that it was my camera laying on the bench

Yesterday I came across the following while reading For the World to See -- The Life of Margaret Bourke-White. The story is her explanation of photographing President Roosevelt and the White House.

"I had my appointments for the next morning. That night I dreamed that I broke my camera, dropping the bulbs like a clumsy fool every time I set up my equipment. When I went for my appointment to the White House the next morning, I was in a panic. But everything went smooth as cream. The President was charming, and posed with no mishap to my machinery. But here's the joke. On the White House lawn as I was set up for an exterior, my arm hit the camera. The tripod collapsed and the camera broke into a thousand pieces."

Real Name
    Bobo

Sorry to hear you having to go through this. I had the same experience last year with the 1Dx and the 200-400. Finished shooting for the day, opened up the car boot, put the equipment on the bag so that I could move some other stuff. Lens and camera self-detached and both went crashing on the concrete road.

Both the lens mounts had to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Timar View Post
    Never dropped any camera bodies or lenses so far, which I guess significantly increases the statistical likelihood that I will do so soon.
    I guess I shouldn't have written that as I promptly dropped my first lens -from 3 feet on the hard tiling. An inexpensive 18-55 Canon STM kit lens, though, all made out of plastic. Much to my surprise, although it gave a horrible noise when it crashed on the floor, the lens doesn't show any sign of damage. Focus and zoom both work flawlessly; I even checked the lens in 100% view for deteriorations in sharpness and couldn't detect any, it seems as sharp as ever. Many photographers don't like plastic lenses, yet I can't help but think that it was the plastic that absorbed the impact and thus protected the glass from damage and that an all-metal L lens may have got broken in this situation.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just a quick jump in from my holiday/vacation cottage.

The insurance company agreed to pay out and I got a call today from the repair centre to say that camera and lens are ready for collection.

I do wish I had had them with me on this trip. Oh well, next time!

Would it not be worth it to pay for next-day delivery so you can use the gear while you're on holiday?

Real Name
    Bruce

Donald, good new on the financial front but still frustrating not having the camera with you. In any event, I (and others) will look forward to photos taken on your 7Dmkii.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Would it not be worth it to pay for next-day delivery so you can use the gear while you're on holiday?
    I thought about that, but I've got the 7DMkII. The thing I don't have is the ultra wide angle lens, which is frustrating. I just have to adapt and not 'see' ultra wide angle shots. But, of course, when you haven't got the lens, you 'see' them all over the place.

In that situation, I would be very tempted to ship the lens and save the money related to the camera by picking it up later. That's because I don't deal well with frustration, as my wife will confirm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast