Thread: More Police Dogs C&C Welcomed

Real Name
    Kim

More Police Dogs C&C Welcomed

Hi everyone. I was invited to photograph some State Troopers with their K-9 partners during an in-service day (which is a training class for the dogs and handlers). It was a small class, only 4 participants. To say I had fun, would be an understatement. I must say, as most of you know, I love and am comfortable with animals; however, the power of these dogs, along with their laser focus can be intimidating.

Here's a few -- the conditions were harsh - midday, bright sun, but I surely wasn't going to say no :-) ** Open for best view**

#1 - This was the instructors partner - a very gorgeous dog.

More Police Dogs  C&C Welcomed

#2 - I love that the dog doesn't have any feet on the platform

#3 - this is a bloodhound used for tracking

#4 - this is the same dog as #2 - they did some bite training. The trooper's leg was accidentally bit.

Last edited by KimC; 14th August 2015 at 06:42 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: More Police Dogs C&C Welcomed

Great captures...

If I were younger, I would get a tracking dog and do search and rescue work. However, at my advanced age; all I can rescue are dogs!

Real Name
    John

Nice rich colors, good action shots.

Real Name
    Kim

I can picture you doing that Richard :-) The dogs you rescue now are thankful for your current age.

Thank you for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Great captures...

If I were younger, I would get a tracking dog and do search and rescue work. However, at my advanced age; all I can rescue are dogs!

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting John. I enjoy these outings as they are helping me to anticipate movements and get faster shooting. Being in beautiful locations with great animals and wonderful handlers isn't too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice rich colors, good action shots.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Sorry I am late to this party as I had much to do around here lately...but I am glad I had saved a link...(I must have two days worth of links to go through Anyway, these are all beautiful shots! I particularly like #1 best of all. #2 and #3 are good action shots I always admired in dog training...well done, Lucky Duckie...wish I am in your shoes at the time...next time call me, I will happily carry your gear...

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Izzie. Wish we lived closer to one another -- think we could have a lot of fun together!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Sorry I am late to this party as I had much to do around here lately...but I am glad I had saved a link...(I must have two days worth of links to go through Anyway, these are all beautiful shots! I particularly like #1 best of all. #2 and #3 are good action shots I always admired in dog training...well done, Lucky Duckie...wish I am in your shoes at the time...next time call me, I will happily carry your gear...

Real Name
    Dean

Nice series, Kim. I'm glad you included the bloodhound.

Real Name
    Kim

I could I not... her name was Daisy Duke and she was a total sweetheart. Thanks for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN01 View Post
    Nice series, Kim. I'm glad you included the bloodhound.

Real Name
    Doug

Although they are all great, I'm most impressed with the power of the last photo. Even the size of his paws let the viewer know that this is one large puppy!

Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Kim

I'm so glad you noticed that Doug! I love that part of the image; the way the dog is gripping the trooper's leg. The trooper's leg ended up being cut from the intensity of the paws/claws on his leg.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Although they are all great, I'm most impressed with the power of the last photo. Even the size of his paws let the viewer know that this is one large puppy!

Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Janis

A timely set for me, Kim, as I am reading a book about working dogs. You have a couple of great action shots here; kudos to you for capturing them in what are obviously difficult shooting conditions. The colour in #2 is a bit over-saturated for my taste, but still a great shot; I love the dog's intensity, so like that of my Stella.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for taking the time to comment Janis. Hope you are enjoying your book.

Yes, shooting conditions were difficult. I hadn't touched the colors or saturation on #2 -- it was just a very vibrant color.

Do you have a Shepard? They are very intense, and loyal, dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    A timely set for me, Kim, as I am reading a book about working dogs. You have a couple of great action shots here; kudos to you for capturing them in what are obviously difficult shooting conditions. The colour in #2 is a bit over-saturated for my taste, but still a great shot; I love the dog's intensity, so like that of my Stella.

Hi Kim,
    My favorites are #1 and #4. #1 because it (to me anyway) the dog appears highly focused on his partner, waiting for instructions. Even from this angle there is no doubt as to the level of intelligence and partnership this dog has.
    #4 because it shows how the dog can react and function as an integral member of the team. As for the rest, all great shots and the partners would be pleased to have an 8x10.
    The background in #2 suggests the State Police range in Simsbury.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Jack. The dog in #1 had been with his partner for 8 years - their relationship was very strong, and the dog was one of the most intense dogs I have met.

The handlers were all very happy with the images (they didn't know what to expect and i do believe they were pleasantly surprised.)

Close; it was at a closed reservoir in Middletown -- it was such a treat to be there as it was absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Hi Kim,
    My favorites are #1 and #4. #1 because it (to me anyway) the dog appears highly focused on his partner, waiting for instructions. Even from this angle there is no doubt as to the level of intelligence and partnership this dog has.
    #4 because it shows how the dog can react and function as an integral member of the team. As for the rest, all great shots and the partners would be pleased to have an 8x10.
    The background in #2 suggests the State Police range in Simsbury.