Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens For Large Panoramas

Lens For Large Panoramas

I’m working on creating large sharp-as-a-tack panoramas and wondering if anyone has a lens suggestion for this application for the Sony A7r? These panos are intended to print approximately 8X24 feet. The process will be milti-row (lots of photos) stitched panos. Yes, huge file size so forth and so on with the end result being as close to 300dpi at the aforementioned print size. They are not billboards and are intended to be examined at close proximity. GigaPan is not an option for this application. As a side note – has anyone done this???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    John

Re: Lens For Large Panoramas

I'm sure there are some helpful sources on this forum, but are you familiar with the Alpha Universe?

http://briansmith.com/sony-alpha-uni...ine-issue-one/

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've done some large panos, but nothing quite this size (2ft x 9ft at 300 dpi) would likely be my largest, if I were to print it full size. I don't think I would lose a lot of resolution if I upsampled to 4ft x 18ft.

Lens For Large Panoramas
    (This is the pano I was referring, but it has been downsampled so that it could be uploaded).

Unfortunately Sony does not make any shift-tilt lenses, so your options are somewhat limited. I believe Minolta built a couple of models, but they were wide angle lenses, so probably not a good match for what you are trying to do.

You would want a medium focal length so that you can get the coverage. Using a shift-tilt lens lets you stack the shots vertically (mount the camera in vertical format, shift the lens to the lowest position and do one level pano and then shift the lens to the top position and repeat.

If I were shooting with the Sony, I'd have a hard look at the Hartblei f/2.8 80 TS Superrotator shift/tilt lens.

http://www.hartblei.de/en/sr80pl.htm

or the Schneider-Kreutznach 90mm f/4.5 Makro Symmar

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...=1822&IID=8478

So far as I know these are the only two manufacturers that turn out Sony mount lenses. If you can find a Nikon to Sony or Canon to Sony adaptor, the Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 or Nikon PC-E Micro Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D would work as well.

I would mount the camera on a very heavy duty tripod and and sandbag it so it does not move AT ALL. Obviously the camera has to be level and you may or may not need a long focus rail. Obviously 100% manual shot; low ISO and moderate aperture to maximize sharpness.

I'd be be bit concerned about the processing software. Many of my panos are done with a Nikon D800 (also 36MP) at up to 180 degrees, and the photomerge software with Photoshop CC 2015 seems to work, but it takes a long time.

I have a 24mm Nikon shift-tilt and it is too wide for any meaningful panos, so I really don't have anything worth showing as a 2-pass work. I'm planning to get or rent a longer one one of these days. Alternatively, I have a Nikon to MFT adaptor and with a 2x crop factor, the 24mm Nikkor would give me a 48mm FF equivalent, so I might try that some day on my Panasonic GX7.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 10th August 2015 at 12:56 AM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Technically, it's not that difficult but...a superior lens is called for, like ones that the MTF chart
    goes straight across...no distortion. Lots of overlap is called for.
    I've done lots in the 40" range without problems...moving water can sometimes be a problem
    and might require manual manipulation.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by OFE View Post
    I’m working on creating large sharp-as-a-tack panoramas and wondering if anyone has a lens suggestion for this application for the Sony A7r?
    Canon TS-E 90 F/2.8 used with Metabones MB-EF-E-BM4 (Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter Mk. IV)

But I would hastily add that if this is a one off project you may be far better to rent a Canon 5D Series Camera or similar and a TS-E 90/2.8 to avoid the use of the adapter, which I think will be difficult to rent and probably difficult to sell if you purchase it for a one off task.

I am ignorant of the first two lenses that Manfred mentioned, but I have used the Nikkor and I own and use the Canon TS-E 90. My view is that the Canon 90 is superior to the Nikkor 85. The TS-E 90 is one of the three sharpest lenses of many which I have used in the present Canon range of lenses - the other two being the 135/2 and the 50/2.5

As a side note – has anyone done this???
    Yes, but not for printing as large, therefore not the number of images, as you describe.

creating large sharp-as-a-tack panoramas and wondering if anyone has a lens suggestion for this application for the Sony A7r? These panos are intended to print approximately 8X24 feet. The process will be milti-row (lots of photos) stitched panos. Yes, huge file size so forth and so on with the end result being as close to 300dpi at the aforementioned print size. They are not billboards and are intended to be examined at close proximity
    My view is that, to do this properly, the task is quite technically challenging.

I also concur with Manfred's general comments describing how to go about this task.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 10th August 2015 at 02:48 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Using a shift-tilt lens lets you stack the shots vertically (mount the camera in vertical format, shift the lens to the lowest position and do one level pano and then shift the lens to the top position and repeat.
    Manfred,

I have never used a tilt-shift lens. For this particular purpose, what does this technique get you that simply rotating the camera (assume you are rotating around the nodal point) doesn't?

Thanks

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Manfred,

I have never used a tilt-shift lens. For this particular purpose, what does this technique get you that simply rotating the camera (assume you are rotating around the nodal point) doesn't?

Thanks

Dan
    Dan - the purpose is to get a taller image. Normally when doing a pano, you pan the camera and get a series of images to stitch together. That gets you a very skinny pano, so most people will shoot a pano in vertical (portrait) orientation. This gives a bit more height to the image.

If you want an even taller image, you use a shift / tilt lens. Same principles; mount on the tripod with the camera in vertical orientation and level. Rotate around the no-parallax point, if this will affect your image, but this time with the shift / tilt lens, shift the lens so the front of it is in a low position and shoot the pano. Then shift the lens is in a high position and repeat.

Doing this will give you an image that is almost twice as tall as the approach with a standard lens.

I have a 24mm shift / tilt lens, and I generally don't shoot panos that would benefit from using that short a focal length, so one of these days when I get a longer one (Nikon makes them in 24mm, 45mm and 85mm focal lengths).

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

thanks

Dan

[QUOTE=Shadowman;540228]I'm sure there are some helpful sources on this forum, but are you familiar with the Alpha Universe?

Now I am Thanks for suggesting.

Can't the taller pano also be accomplished by a multi-row pano?

If I were shooting with the Sony, I'd have a hard look at the Hartblei f/2.8 80 TS Superrotator shift/tilt lens.

http://www.hartblei.de/en/sr80pl.htm

or the Schneider-Kreutznach 90mm f/4.5 Makro Symmar

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...=1822&IID=8478

Thank you. I am checking them out.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I routinely use either a 180mm macro or a 300mm f/2.8 for my panoramas as I don't want a
    distorted image. What would be the benefits of a tilt-shift lens?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by OFE View Post
    Can't the taller pano also be accomplished by a multi-row pano?
    But without a Tilt Shift Lens (or using a Camera with Movements), how would you make the row above, or the row below, WITHOUT inclining or declining the angle of the lens's axis, relative to the horizontal?

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I routinely use either a 180mm macro or a 300mm f/2.8 for my panoramas as I don't want a
    distorted image. What would be the benefits of a tilt-shift lens?
    The OP wants an huge image to scrutinized at a close viewing distance, which implies lots of segments and NOT just one row of the panorama, but MULTIPLE ROWS of the panorama -

videlicet:

If you want an even taller image, you use a shift / tilt lens. Same principles; mount on the tripod with the camera in vertical orientation and level. Rotate around the no-parallax point, if this will affect your image, but this time with the shift / tilt lens, shift the lens so the front of it is in a low position and shoot the pano. Then shift the lens is in a high position and repeat.
    WW

Real Name
    wm c boyer

The OP wants an huge image to scrutinized at a close viewing distance, which implies lots of segments and NOT just one row of the panorama, but MULTIPLE ROWS of the panorama
    Which is something that I routinely do with those lenses.

Real Name
    Allan Short

OFE you might be interested in the following article by Kevin Raber of Luminous Landscape, it is titled "Having Fun with Panaramas", near the end of the article he shows a 54 shot image he did with a Nikon D800e.

https://luminous-landscape.com/havin...ith-panoramas/

Cheers: Allan
    Last edited by Polar01; 11th August 2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Forgot link

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Which is something that I routinely do with those lenses.
    But you doing so with a 180mm or 300mm lens means that you must incline or decline the angle of the lens's axis to make more than one row: - in this respect, I certainly see using a T/S lens as being a benefit. And that was the question that you asked, 'what would be the benefit'

Manfred explained in detail the benefits of using a T/S lens for this particular work in post #7 and I expanded on that in post #13 when I answered a similar question asked by the Original Poster, who incidentally has already specified that GigaPan which uses the EPIC Head is NOT an option for this task

WW
    Last edited by William W; 11th August 2015 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I don't know anything about changing the lens's axis as this was hand held, badda bing and merged in PS badda boom, using the afore mentioned 180 macro...30x45. No big deal!

Lens For Large Panoramas

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I don't know anything about changing the lens's axis.
    Understood; it was assumed that's why the previous questions were asked by you.

this was hand held, badda bing and merged in PS badda boom, using the afore mentioned 180 macro...30x45. No big deal!
    QUESTIONS:

1. What does "30 x 45" mean? 30" x 60", 30cm x 45cm, 30ft x 45ft. . . etc

2. And at what viewing distance, subsequently, is that print to be viewed?

WW

Real Name
    wm c boyer

30 inches by 45 inches...it is OOF at f/3.5 and focus point was well short of clouds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast