Thread: Computer setup for PP?

Real Name
    Joe

Computer setup for PP?

I am at the point of replacing my computer on which I do my editing. I currently use a 32 bit laptop which has 4gig ram and 200 gig HD. I use Lightroom5 for PP and can't upgrade without the 64 bit system. Funds , of course are limited.
    In sourcing a new system what specs are critical? Obviously 64 bit is necessary, as is ram (8 gig is recommended by LR). Should I be looking for the fastest possible CPU or is it a better investment in hard drive size? My current laptop drive is always near full and I am constantly moving files to my external drive to make space. Should I be looking at SSD for storage?
    PS. I have only used Microsoft operating systems, so am more comfortable in that arena as opposed to Apple.
    Your comments are always appreciated.
    Last edited by joebranko; 9th August 2015 at 03:57 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Computer setup for PP?

Joe, I won't tell you what you need but my recent experience may be of interest.

My XP SP3, 1.6GHz, 4GB machine died for the second time, so I said "enough!".

The shop had a Dell Inspiron, Intel Core i5 (two-core), 6GB RAM, Windows 7. After reloading all my stuff, including the latest 64bit RawTherapee, I am well pleased with the results - especially the speed of those previous sluggards; Sigma Photo Pro and RawTherapee. Can't advise on LR/PS, I don't use Adobe for anything.

As to storage, that is not a personal concern for I hardly shoot anything worth saving and I rarely keep my raws or TIFFs. But for your purposes, sounds like you should perhaps place HD capacity at a higher priority than the very latest CPU, operating system, RAM size, etc.

My computer tech says Windows 8 sucks, BTW. Just passing that on, not saying it does or it don't myself. Others here can advise further.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Joe - if you are planning to get another laptop, then go with both a 64-bit operating system (that's what all the new ones are being sold with anyways) and 8-GB of RAM. That tends to be the highest amount of RAM one seems to find on a laptop. Most seem to have around a 1TB hard drive (often a composite system with a mix of SSD and conventional hard drive). Processor speed is somewhat irrelevant as image editing is not particularly processor intensive. Stick with external storage for archival purposes.

As for Windows versus Mac, I use both and really don't have a preference. Macs are premium priced, so you will get more "bang for your buck" with a PC.

All laptops have a significant weakness, and that is their display. Laptops are built to be light weight and have long battery life. Everything else is secondary to those to key requirements, and hence (especially in low and medium end machines. the displays are terrible and even with profiling, the colours are never really all that good).

I use a desktop PC for my editing and my display is the most expensive single component that I own. If you get a new laptop, budget for a decent screen as well. Use the screen for your edits and park other stuff on the laptop screen. You should also look at buying a tool (Spyder or Colormunki) and use it to make sure that your screens display the colours accurately.

Real Name
    John

In the time it took to type what follows, Ted and Manfred have also replied but for what it is worth:

Joe, I'm not sure how much of the following is relevant for Windows 10 but for based on Windows 7, the following might be of help:

1. Memory is more important than processor speed. Within reason the more the better.
    2. To enable this, you must have a 64 bit system. 32 bit systems can't handle more than 4Gb no matter how much you install.
    3. Go for a multi core processor, a lot of software will make use of several cores but don't pay a premium for a very fast high end Processor.
    4. Go for an SSD as your system drive. Apart from keeping boot up time to a minimum, if you do run short of memory, the system will resort to using the hard drive to fill the gap. So the faster the better.
    5. Images take up a lot of disk space. If you only have the one hard drive, to future proof your system, you will need to make it as large as possible. My recommendation would be however, that you go for a second drive on which you set up your data files. That way you keep your system drive as clean as possible with only the operating system and application software on it. This drive doesn't need to be an SSD and it also means that your system SSD can be small and consequently much less expensive..
    6. For PS in particular, if you can manage it, also install a small third SSD that you can use as a scratch disk. This is not essential. You can set up PS to use the system SSD for this instead.

How much of the above is possible Will depend on whether you have a desktop or a laptop in mind and of course your pocket.

Finally, if you have a desktop in mind, buy the best screen you can afford, one that you can calibrate.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Joe, I won't tell you what you need but my recent experience may be of interest.

My XP SP3, 1.6GHz, 4GB machine died for the second time, so I said "enough!".

The shop had a Dell Inspiron, Intel Core i5 (two-core), 6GB RAM, Windows 7. After reloading all my stuff, including the latest 64bit RawTherapee, I am well pleased with the results - especially the speed of those previous sluggards; Sigma Photo Pro and RawTherapee. Can't advise on LR/PS, I don't use Adobe for anything.

As to storage, that is not a personal concern for I hardly shoot anything worth saving and I rarely keep my raws or TIFFs. But for your purposes, sounds like you should perhaps place HD capacity at a higher priority than the very latest CPU, operating system, RAM size, etc.

My computer tech says Windows 8 sucks, BTW. Just passing that on, not saying it does or it don't myself. Others here can advise further.
    Thanks Ted. Appreciate your advice!

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Manfred. Your suggestions are very helpful. I plan on getting a desktop this time and a separate monitor.
    Last edited by joebranko; 9th August 2015 at 06:15 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

You'll get a lot more 'bang for buck' with a desk top over a laptop as well.
    Therefore I would not recommend a laptop, for this reason, in addition to the other points raised.

Get two screens; if funds are limited, a one decent (for the image being edited), plus one for overflow. Check video card will support two.

Keep your pictures on two external drives, not the internal system drive - this saves write/read conflicts and also saves having to move them when you replace your computer next time, just unplug and replug the USB or network cable.

64 bit definitely.
    8 GB or more, this is more important than processor speed (IMHO).
    I chose i5 also.

You don't need a fast drive (e.g. SSD) for image storage, but you will benefit from it for system drive and scratch pad, as others have said.

I moved from laptop to desktop last time I changed main computer (glad I did), since I never took it anywhere when it was a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    In the time it took to type what follows, Ted and Manfred have also replied but for what it is worth:

Joe, I'm not sure how much of the following is relevant for Windows 10 but for based on Windows 7, the following might be of help:

4. Go for an SSD as your system drive. Apart from keeping boot up time to a minimum, if you do run short of memory, the system will resort to using the hard drive to fill the gap. So the faster the better.
    5. Images take up a lot of disk space. If you only have the one hard drive, to future proof your system, you will need to make it as large as possible. My recommendation would be however, that you go for a second drive on which you set up your data files. That way you keep your system drive as clean as possible with only the operating system and application software on it. This drive doesn't need to be an SSD and it also means that your system SSD can be small and consequently much less expensive...

One added note to that: SSD are very fast and cost more, but they also fail without warning, whereas mechanical drives tend to become less reliable and warn you (to a point) before they fail. So having "C" (the system) on SSD and "D" (data) on a 1 TB mechanical drive makes a lot of sense. Of course, anything can fail, so backups are always important. But with an image backup of "C", you can easily recover your system disk to the way it was before failure.

Real Name
    Bill

Joe

I would agree with most of the advice posted so far: a desktop, rather than a laptop (says he typing this on his MacBook Pro laptop ...) for reasons of cost and display quality/calibration ease; an SSD because it is overall quicker - and quieter!!; and min 8GB RAM. SSDs are very reliable these days but the only absolute about any HD is that it will fail one day - it's when not if - so a backup strategy is essential. A 1TB USB3 external drive won't break the bank but will save your heart being broken ...

Everything else - just shop around and get the best you can that has these specs and is within your budget. And yes, as you will note from the "laptop" comment I am a Mac guy and have been for 20 years, I like them and am used to them, but that is me and not really important in your decision-making (but I do use an external monitor for photo work).

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Bill

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks for all the feedback!
    I am now looking for a 64 bit desktop with an SSD for system and programs, an HHD for data, 8gig ram, & a multi core processor. The rest to be determined based on funds.
    Thanks again to you all: You have been very helpful.

Real Name
    Bill

You're welcome Joe. Hope you enjoy the new gear!

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Joe,

One thing I don't think has been mentioned. Now you've settled on a desktop, you might want to consider doubling up your HDD and mirroring them (also known as RAID1). It doesn't add a whole lot to the cost, and it means when one disk fails, you can keep running until you get a replacement and let it rebuild the mirror.

That's what I did when I bought my last system a couple years ago and, guess what, a drive failed yesterday.

This isn't a substitute for a backup strategy!

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

One thing I don't think has been mentioned. Now you've settled on a desktop, you might want to consider doubling up your HDD and mirroring them (also known as RAID1). It doesn't add a whole lot to the cost, and it means when one disk fails, you can keep running until you get a replacement and let it rebuild the mirror.
    That makes sense, but I'd suggest going a stage further - remember that one of my tips was to store all pictures external to the computer?

The logical combination of this and Dave's idea is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) - it connects via RJ45/Ethernet, hopefully on Gigabit these days. Wireless is possible, but that will slow you down.

I don't have it (don't know if Dave does it with NAS, or just has internal drives in RAID1 array), but I think NAS is where I'll visit next.

Unfortunately this may impact cost, compared to the internal solution, but if the PC ever fails, at least you'll know the pictures don't need to be extracted/saved from within the PC box (before it can be sent off) - which I think is worth having.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Unfortunately this may impact cost, compared to the internal solution
    Dave (and Joe), those - cost and external/independent of the internal gubbins of the PC - are why I suggested a 1TB USB drive. I probably should have added something on the lines of "used in association with selective backup software" Don't know what will do it best in the WinWorld, but Carbon Copy Cloner does it well in Mac-land.

Real Name
    Dave

I would see NAS as the gold standard, but as Dave says can be expensive, and I read Joe's posts as budget being important.

In my case I also have an external hdd, and a CrashPlan off site backup. I decided if that lot let me down, the bullet had my name on it

Dave