Thread: Camera issue, advice needed. Thanks.

Real Name
    Bobo

Camera issue, advice needed. Thanks.

Please take a look at the attached image. It is as-is and has only gone through ACR and not processed in anyway.

You will note a light band at the top edge that gets progressively wider from left to right.

It is not a lens issues as the same band appears no matter what lens is used.

Camera is the Canon 1Dx.

Camera has not been dropped or damaged prior to the band appearing. It did have a repair job a couple of months ago but the band has never appeared until about 2 months ago.

Suggestions/observations much appreciated.

Thanks.

--- even the gbh is wondering what that is hehe

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Camera issue, advice needed. Thanks.

Bobo, the repair job was two months ago and the banding also appeared two months ago. Which happened first?

Real Name
    Bobo

Sorry Bruce. Should have phrased it better. Repair was around 10 months ago. Banding about 6-8 weeks ago.

The repair involved replacing the camera's lens contact assembly which got mangled when the heavy 200-400 detached itself. The contacts assembly on the lens had to be replaced as well. Both were working fine with no issues after the repairs. The banding just appeared out of the blue.

Real Name
    Grahame

Bobo, as a quick guess I wonder if its caused by the shutter not closing properly.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Please take a look at the attached image. It is as-is and has only gone through ACR and not processed in anyway.

You will note a light band at the top edge that gets progressively wider from left to right.

It is not a lens issues as the same band appears no matter what lens is used.

Camera is the Canon 1Dx.

Camera has not been dropped or damaged prior to the band appearing. It did have a repair job a couple of months ago but the band has never appeared until about 2 months ago.

Suggestions/observations much appreciated.

Thanks.

--- even the gbh is wondering what that is hehe
    Hi Bobo,

Do ye use a drop shadow, border or framing app. It has the look of an edge highlight. Looks just like one of those has been left switched on or chosen and forgotten about?

Exif shows extreme end of the zoom. Did ye use a lens hood? Using the extreme end of any zoom (regardless of quality) can induce all sorts of problems. Could ye put up another couple of shots using a much closer setting?
    Last edited by tao2; 4th August 2015 at 04:05 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Before seeing Boab's comment, I was joking to myself that it is a framing feature gone awry. He actually may be onto something.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Grahame. Hmmm did'nt think of that. Could be. Repair shop stuff.

Thanks Boab. No I never use any framing. Shots taken with either the 7D2 or 5D3 do not show the same so it has to be a physical thing with the camera.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Grahame. Hmmm did'nt think of that. Could be. Repair shop stuff.
    I'm not actually certain a sticking modern shutter could cause this but what comes to mind is;

a) the tapering angle and looking at shutter activating movies in slow speed a similar slope often appears.

b) but how to diagnose further raises the following, is the offending strip always lighter than the rest in that area?, is it happening at all speeds?, is it specific to one card?.

I'm sure others are going to come up with some logical theories too.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW, I would diagnose it as shutter problems, additionally...I've always had good luck using the
    New Jersey repair center. Tried California once and was dissatisfied with their results.

Real Name
    Dan

I'm no expert, but a shutter problem seems likely. Like Grahame, I would be curious whether shutter speed has any impact on this. It would be easy to test: set it up on a tripod facing something dark and static, set it on Tv, and run through a reasonably wide range of shutter speeds. It seems to me that if it is a shutter problem, you might see variation in the width of the band at very different shutter speeds.

I've used the NJ repair facility several times. When they have been able to replicate the problem, they have always solved it.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks for the input. Typical speeds for me would be between 1/1000 to 1/5000.

CF cards are randomly interchanged between cameras and if the other camera is not showing the problem the cards should be doing ok.

Perhaps time for it to visit the repair shop.

Real Name
    Chris

I was thinking the same as Grhame only I thought it might be that the shutter was not opening properly? Im not an expert though.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Does it matter...regardless, it's gotta be fixed or replaced.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Chri5 View Post
    I was thinking the same as Grhame only I thought it might be that the shutter was not opening properly? Im not an expert though.
    I'm no expert either Chris but love mysteries and diagnostics

If the shutter was not opening in that area would we not expect to see this area darker as it would receive less exposure?

Below is a severe crop of the top right side which shows similar toning to the 'good part' but appears simply lighter, more exposed?

Further thoughts are that if this was caused by 'electronic/signal' corruption you would possibly not expect to see such 'smoothness' in the transition of the two areas.

Where's Ted

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Does it matter...regardless, it's gotta be fixed or replaced.
    To some possibly not, but for those that have inquisitive minds with an interest in these technical areas it certainly would.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A tough one to diagnose, for sure.

The lightness suggests some extra light hitting the area and the limited fuzziness suggests something quite close to the sensor plane, so a likely a shutter issue. My guess is that the shutter is sticking a tiny bit, resulting in a slight delay before the second curtain travel starts, which gives you that brighter area.

Regardless, it looks like a job for a repair shop.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks everyone. Mystery will be resolved when the part is replaced. Taking it in tomorrow or the day after.

Will report back.