Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do with your photos?

Re: What do you do with your photos?

I get my best one's printed at Fugi. At the mo some are hung on walls, but many are stacked in my bedroom. Going to start printing A3 in black frames, I'm not good at tying the string on the back any advice please?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I print around 12 a year to display at the local Arts Society shows (four each three times a year). Of these I have sold one or two. The rest get given to friends, relatives, parting gifts to employees and I rotate a few through my vet practice and at home. My wife had me print one at 160 by 90 cm (five by three feet) to hang in our stairwell (cost a tonne but she loves it, so cheap at any price)

What do you do with your photos?

An artist friend of mine convinced me to donate images to a facebook group called Photos for Artists. The intent is to allow people who paint, draw, sculpt et al to use the images for free as inspiration to create work. Seems like a better idea than having them mold away on my hard drive. Like most of us I do this hobby to create images to share; this seems a good way.

I put some of my processed images on my 500px site. Given my rotten internet connection at home I have been largely unable to post most stuff anywhere else; including my stock sites or here. (This morning it seems to work, hence this post).

Mainly the images sit on my hard drive, probably well over 90% of them. Maybe once I retire they will find wider exposure.

Real Name
    Dave

I'm not good at tying the string on the back any advice please?
    Actually, yes. Use a bowline knot

You can find a printed, illustrated sheet here: http://www.diyframing.com/articles_v...eCategoryID=17

You'll have to join the site (it's free) to get to it, but it's a very useful resource if you doing home framing.

Dave

Real Name
    James Edwards

Hi Louise, you can get sawtooth hangers at Hobbycraft...they are a reasonable alternative to wire/string as long as the frame is not outrageously heavy...

cheers,

James

Thanks I think I tried enquiring bout a workshop at DIY framing when they were coming to Salisbury, but I was refused because I had learning difficulties. Surly this can't be right?

Real Name
    James Edwards

Louise, I'm really sorry this has happened to you.
    Apart from the fact you have learning difficulties, did they give you any other reason for refusing?

I do not understand why you would be barred from the session. Simply put, I think this is probably discrimination against people with disabilities.

I'm not an expert in the field of disability, but my wife is fairly well informed, having taught young adults with learning difficulties most of the life. Her opinion is the same as mine.

Would you like me to approach HobbyCraft in Solihull (near me), to act as an advocate and find out why this has happened?

James

did they give you any other reason for refusing?
    This was age's ago. They said they wouldn't be able to give me supervised help something like that.

Would you like me to approach HobbyCraft in Solihull (near me), to act as an advocate and find out why this has happened?
    Yes this might be helpful because there are other people out there autistic etc who have probably been turned away.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Ok, I'll pop down to the branch and have a chat with the manager. Will get back to you when I understand more about the way they organise and set these sessions up.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi,

If I understand Louise correctly, it's the company diyframing who turned her away. They are nothing to do with HobbyCraft. http://www.diyframing.com/page.cfm/c...ol-of-Framing/

I have recently stepped down as a trustee of a charity that supports people with learning disabilities, and I am absolutely clear on the need to tackle discrimination. I have also been on diyframing's framing weekend, so I understand how the course works. I can't comment because I wasn't there and I don't know enough, but I would have thought some accommodation agreement could have been reached.

Dave

Real Name
    James Edwards

Louise,
    Further to Dave's note , I have been down to my local Hobbycraft. The Manager there was upset that you were turned away without a clear explanation of why.

He explained that as Dave said, Hobbycraft provide space in their stores, (free of charge), to companies, who offer the kind of course you wanted.

He was surprised though that you were turned away without an adequate explanation.
    He has asked for some more detail about the session, (when and where precisely), and says he will check back with the Salisbury Manager and get you a better explanation of why whoever organised the training felt you were not eligible..

I think it was when it was being held at Wilton shopping village. Hope I didn't upset him too much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12