Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: underneath the pier

Real Name
    Griddi

underneath the pier

As I live very near to this pier, I often like to shoot photos there, so here is one I shoot about 3 weeks ago, when the tide just came in.....

C&C very welcome.....

underneath the pier

Griddi.....

Real Name
    John

Re: underneath the pier

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Stef

Very nice conversion and picture. Wonder whether there's a little too much foreground though maybe a more panoramic crop.

A little shame about graffiti. Were this my image I might consider a cloning exercise. Also is that lens distortion or are the stanchions not straight some might want a correction I tend to not mind soo much.

Real Name
    Ole

I like your shot, maybe a little too much foreground. That is only my opinion.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Barbara

I really like the shot. Having the extra foreground for me draws me in making me want to go all the way to back.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

That is a classic shot...ya might want to work it some more, camera height, lens choice,
    time of day, and whatnot.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ponder View Post
    I really like the shot. Having the extra foreground for me draws me in making me want to go all the way to back.
    I agree with Barbara. I find the perspective is enhanced by the extra foreground.

John

Real Name
    Dan

Nice image. I would crop the foreground, but not very much--leaving a lot of the detail, but uncentering the vertical dividing line between the pier and the foreground.

I would level the horizon. It is not far off, but given all the right angles, it throws the pier off.

For the horizontal dimension, I would do the reverse: I would center the pier. It looks like you used approximately the rule of thirds, but it doesn't work here, IMHO. There isn't any detail that makes the off-center position work. Some things are better just centered, and I think this is one of them.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Contrary to what everyone sees here, I like a little bit more of the background up there. I feel a certain kind of constricted feeling without a little bit at the top...then as you had already shot this one, try playing with the perspective tool to sort of straighten out the two concrete whatever (with the graffiti). While you are there, either clone out that blackish thing on the right side to make this a cleaner shot...just a thought...

Real Name
    Gerry

Lovely shot. I also like the foreground, the breaking of the water gives a nice leading 'line' or leading curve

Real Name
    Griddi

John,Stev, Ole, Barbara,C Bayer,John Rostron,Dan, Izzie Gerry......thank you to a All of you for looking and commenting, incl.tips, etc.........

I have tried to straighten the concrete pillar, namely the one at the left, but this just do not work, because when I did straighten it, then the other (s) on the right side are not straight anymore, perhaps that thing is not straight anyway, will have a look next time when I am there again.......

Izzie...... the * blackish thing on the right side * is seaweed, and I think it sort of belongs to the sea-motive ?

As I live very near this pier, one can find me quite often there, so next time I will shoot different angles etc.

Greetings,
    Griddi........

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Nice image. I would crop the foreground, but not very much--leaving a lot of the detail, but uncentering the vertical dividing line between the pier and the foreground.

I would level the horizon. It is not far off, but given all the right angles, it throws the pier off.

For the horizontal dimension, I would do the reverse: I would center the pier. It looks like you used approximately the rule of thirds, but it doesn't work here, IMHO. There isn't any detail that makes the off-center position work. Some things are better just centered, and I think this is one of them.
    I agree with all that, and just add that it is a pleasure to see an image with realistic water.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Griddi

The 'Perspective Warp' in PS tool is your friend with this one

underneath the pier

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Griddi

The 'Perspective Warp' in PS tool is your friend with this one

underneath the pier
    Big thank you.......but I do not have photoshop........I am using Lightroom, and so far I know, there is not a * Perspective Warp * tool........

Griddi.......

Very nice. There is that 'film noire' feeling about it.
    To enhance the mood maybe i'd do something with those grafities on the pillars in the foreground.

cheers werner

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Very nice. There is that 'film noire' feeling about it.
    To enhance the mood maybe i'd do something with those grafities on the pillars in the foreground.

cheers werner
    Thank you Werner........at the moment I am quite busy, but soon I will * work * a bit on the image

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting shot, Griddi.

While I like the Grahame's rework better than the original, I still find that there is something missing. You've eliminated the deck running on the pier (assuming there is one) and by completely eliminating it the image somehow seems incomplete or truncated.

If you are using Lightroom as an editor, you are going to have to take a lot more care in your framing the image. Keeping the camera level during the shot will eliminate the distortion you have in your original shot, but will mean you will like have to do some cropping in post.

Us Photoshoppers (or people who use other pixel based editors) have a lot more latitude here as correcting this type of issue in post is almost trivial.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Big thank you.......but I do not have photoshop........I am using Lightroom, and so far I know, there is not a * Perspective Warp * tool........

Griddi.......
    But is there a Free Transform Tool in Lightroom? YOu can use that instead. In Photoshop, it is Ctrl+T. Once you see the Transform Control on the 4 sides of the frame of your image, hold down the Ctrl button of your keyboard (look for equivalent on a Mac as I am using a PC) then move any of those little squares on each corner sideways or inwards while you watch your image straightened or expanded. It may take a while for you to get used to it by sight, but one way I find easier is to show the grid and aligned it to one of the straight line...would you like to try? I googled transform tool for Lightroom and it has been there since version 3 (correct me anyone if I am wrong as I am not a Lightroom user...) There is also a video on how to do it..

Hope this helps...

Real Name
    Dan

I am traveling and don't have Lightroom with me, but here's what I think the answer is. I don't believe it has a free transform function, but it does have a perspective correction function that can straighten tilted lines. It will apply the same amount of correction on both sides of the midline, if I recall.

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Interesting shot, Griddi.

While I like the Grahame's rework better than the original, I still find that there is something missing. You've eliminated the deck running on the pier (assuming there is one) and by completely eliminating it the image somehow seems incomplete or truncated.

If you are using Lightroom as an editor, you are going to have to take a lot more care in your framing the image. Keeping the camera level during the shot will eliminate the distortion you have in your original shot, but will mean you will like have to do some cropping in post.

Us Photoshoppers (or people who use other pixel based editors) have a lot more latitude here as correcting this type of issue in post is almost trivial.
    Manfred, thank you, will keep your advise in mind, next time I shot the jetty again......

Griddi.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast