Thread: Recommend plugins for LR or PS

Real Name
    Ankit

Recommend plugins for LR or PS

I've been looking at available presets on the web for Lightroom and have come across people mentioned third party plugins available for LR. In another group that I'm apart of, one guy uses one that puts the settings the picture was taken on the picture.
    So any recommendations for plugins for Lightroom or Photoshop?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Recommend plugins for LR or PS

There are suites, like Google's Nik, OnOne and Topaz, Other companies light DxO, Imaginomics and Imagetrends (I use plugins from these three) make function specific plug ins.

The picture settings are usually embedded in the image automatically by the post-processing software, and all you need is a viewer to read the EXIF file.

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

That's something of interest for me also. I don|t have plugins, only some free-standing software which, however, I hardly use any more. But I read a lot of folks mentioning Nik, particularly for b/w (efex I think they call it). I there really a use of it, something photoshop can't do?

Lukas
    Last edited by lukaswerth; 25th July 2015 at 05:12 AM.

Real Name
    Dave

Compared with Lightroom, Silver Efex gives you much greater control, both globally and especially locally. Can't speak for Photoshop.

Dave

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Plug-ins offer a quick preview as to how a particular image might appear if PP'd a certain way.
    Generally PS can accomplish the same results but, the learning curve is torturous indeed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lukaswerth View Post
    That's something of interest for me also. I don|t have plugins, only some free-standing software which, however, I hardly use any more. But I read a lot of folks mentioning Nik, particularly for b/w (efex I think they call it). I there really a use of it, something photoshop can't do?

Lukas
    The plugins use Lightroom and Photoshop functionality to create the output you see, so in theory one should be able to reproduce any plugin effect by hand. Of course, this means we would need a lot of patience and time as the plugins automate the process and speed things up a lot. We would also have to understand the instructions that the authors programmed into these effects programs.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The plugins use Lightroom and Photoshop functionality to create the output you see, so in theory one should be able to reproduce any plugin effect by hand. Of course, this means we would need a lot of patience and time as the plugins automate the process and speed things up a lot. We would also have to understand the instructions that the authors programmed into these effects programs.
    My understanding is that this is false in the general case. For example, Topaz can be run stand-alone with its own front end or from other applications like PaintShopPro and produces the same results. I don't doubt that some plug-ins are just in essence keystroke savers for effects from within Adobe, but those that run on multiple platforms would generally only use the environment to get the data to work on, not for the algorithms that they apply.

Real Name
    Dan

Plugins and presets are two different beasts.

At least in the case of lightroom, presets are nothing but macros, a set of LR edits you could do yourself. I see them as analogous to Photoshop actions.

Plugins are more than this, and they can work very differently. For example, AFAIK, the Nik presets don't use the functionality of either photoshop or lightroom, other than integrating at both ends, when you call the plugin and when you save the product.

I don't use many plugins, but I am increasingly using Silver Efex for black and white work. I suspect that you could replicate many but not all of the effects with Photoshop, very few with Lightroom. However, it would be VERY hard to come close to some of the edits with Photoshop.

Real Name
    Richard

I am in love with the capabilities that the NIK Software Suite gives me. I absolutely love the NIK Control Point System...

I enjoy using the NIK software, especially the Viveza, Silver Efex and the Colour Efex components, as my Photoshop skills are fairly basic

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am in love with the capabilities that the NIK Software Suite gives me. I absolutely love the NIK Control Point System...
    +1

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    My understanding is that this is false in the general case. For example, Topaz can be run stand-alone with its own front end or from other applications like PaintShopPro and produces the same results. I don't doubt that some plug-ins are just in essence keystroke savers for effects from within Adobe, but those that run on multiple platforms would generally only use the environment to get the data to work on, not for the algorithms that they apply.
    You could be right, but all of the plugins I use seem to be available for Adobe products only, and as I don't use Lightroom I find that they all return output as a layer in Photoshop. Layers are good as I can do a lot of manipulation with these products. To date, I can reproduce virtually all the effects other than some of the specialty filters in Color Efex Pro in Photoshop. I find that some of the DxO FilmPack seem to use very specific colour patterns and noise patterns that can be emulated with Photoshop functions (using channel specific curves and noise) and I can certainly reproduce Imagenomic Portraiture 2 in Photoshop, but it just take a lot more time and effort.

Real Name
    Brian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think you guys are getting plug-ins and presets mixed up. I checked my plug-ins for LR and find that the ones I have installed do things outside of LR. Such as export/upload directly to facebook and flikr, send photos to costco photo center for printing, export to photomatix and proshow producer, etc. Presets, on the other hand, are as some said earlier, key stroke savers and apply internal settings such as exposure, saturation, clarity, grain, etc. Both are handy to have. I have only a few plug-ins that I use, but, I have a LOT of presets that I've acquired. The presets save a lot of time in PP. That said, you can make your own presets. Just find the adjustments that you like and find yourself using frequently and just save them as a preset. Over a period of time, you'll have your own library of presets that will save a tremendous amount of time in the future.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Brian - when I look at where all the software I listed resides (Nik, Imagenomic, DxO Filmpack 4), it's in the "Photoshop 2015 / Plug-ins" sub-directory. If Adobe considers them plug-ins, who am I to argue?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Brian - when I look at where all the software I listed resides (Nik, Imagenomic, DxO Filmpack 4), it's in the "Photoshop 2015 / Plug-ins" sub-directory. If Adobe considers them plug-ins, who am I to argue?
    That may be true for PS. However, I use LR and a plug-in for LR has a different use, at least the ones that I use. I don't use PS that often so I'll have to push the "I believe button" on that one.

Real Name
    Joe

The only plug-in I use in Lightroom is to show the focus point. Here is the website address.

http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

Real Name
    Sarah

Important question: what computer/laptop do you use? Being a Mac user I like Luminar as one of the best lightroom plugins to add layers and apply filters. If you need a longer list of possible plugins you can read the article here. Hope it helps.

P.S. I'm slightly confused by a discussion on presets and plugins. Does it mean that I use a preset if there is an option of, let's say, saturation?

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by sharaff View Post
    Important question: what computer/laptop do you use? Being a Mac user I like Luminar as one of the best lightroom plugins to add layers and apply filters. If you need a longer list of possible plugins you can read the article here. Hope it helps.

P.S. I'm slightly confused by a discussion on presets and plugins. Does it mean that I use a preset if there is an option of, let's say, saturation?
    Ankit started this thread nearly two years ago and hasn't really been back since - a new thread with your question might get more responses.

Real Name
    Sarah

Thank you for a tip, I'll try!