Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: canon 1d iv file tranfer problems

canon 1d iv file tranfer problems

Hi Guys & Galls
    Eventually got my 1d iv via ebay. Obviously I went on a shooting spree. Coming home I connected the Camera via USB to my laptop (MBP) and wanted to download with Lightroom, the same I did with my 1D iii and all other cameras, before.
    BUT only some 50 pics, of about 560, where downloaded. After that nothing happened. I waited for several minutes but still nothing. The camera display shows "Busy" but no transfer takes place.
    I disconnected the camera and connected again, trying to download with Canon utility, the same here!!
    I had to put the CF card of the 1D iv into my mk iii to download the pics
    The mk iv has firmware 1.1.0 and as I do not have a card reader for CF cards the update has to wait a bit!
    Does this sound like a software problem or rather a hardware fault (1d iv for service)
    All help most appreciated

Guido

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: canon 1d iv file tranfer problems

Quote Originally Posted by guidocoza View Post
    Does this sound like a software problem or rather a hardware fault (1d iv for service)
    I don't know.

But two comments:

> if the camera is NOT running on the latest software update, then no conclusion can be made
    > my opinion is that File Transfer from Camera to Machine is an inefficient workflow

Conclusion: the solution is to buy a good Card Reader within the next 5 minutes and use it to update the firmware of your cameras and thereafter for all file transfers to your editing machine.

In the meantime you could power down the 1DMkIV; remove the batteries; wait ten minutes; replace the batteries and try again.

WW

BTW - it is my practice to never shoot until any card is full, I always leave about 10% free.

Hi Bill
    Txs for your reply
    I actually do not have any problems using the camera as a "card reader" with the mk 3 I never needed to wait any time for the files to tranfer.
    However I'm also the opposite and move the pics of the card as soon as possible and as soon as backed up on a second hard drive, the cards are formated.
    But I think you are right and a card reader is in Order! will post the results here as soon as I have updated firmware.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW, using my 1Ds3...I've never tried downloading direct from the camera...
    download from card when session is done...used same card for 4 years.

Hi Chauncey
    I have no problems downloading from a card directly, as a matter of fact, I do when ever I can, but sadly my MBP has only a on-board SD card reader!!
    As I travel alot, I try to travel as light as possible, and my gear is already too heavy as it is.