Thread: Meadow

Real Name
    John

Meadow

Meadow

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Meadow

IMO the BG is busy and bright John, may be some blurring and darkening? The flowers look very nice though

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    IMO the BG is busy and bright John, may be some blurring and darkening? The flowers look very nice though
    Hi Binnur,

Thanks for the comments and critique. The brightness is due mostly to PP as this shot was heavily backlit, also I used the infrared filter during the conversion. Regarding the background, I think it's definitely unusual to have leafy foliage above a meadow flower.

Real Name
    Greg

+1 to Binnurs comment John, there needs to be a bit more separation between subject and the background, blurring background would work? Maybe, and I hesitate to say this for the repocussions but selective colour or I was thinking a slight and only slight sepia tint to the background, just a thought

Real Name
    Binnur

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Regarding the background, I think it's definitely unusual to have leafy foliage above a meadow flower.
    I agree,it's a pity to have those leafy foliage,because the flowers look nice and a plain BG might have given an artisitc look to the image

I want to try infrared photograhy too. May be I will have my old camera converted to infrared in time.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    +1 to Binnurs comment John, there needs to be a bit more separation between subject and the background, blurring background would work? Maybe, and I hesitate to say this for the repocussions but selective colour or I was thinking a slight and only slight sepia tint to the background, just a thought
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Real Name
    John

I agree,it's a pity to have those leafy foliage,because the flowers look nice and a plain BG might have given an artisitc look to the image

I want to try infrared photograhy too. May be I will have my old camera converted to infrared in time.
    Here is more of the setting, I was standing on the other side of a railing so other trajectories were limited. I did extend the camera over the railing and try to shoot from the side but wasn't pleased with the results. I'll try again if I come back to this scene.

Meadow

Real Name
    Matt

+1 to Binnurs comment, after seeing the colour version I think BW is the way to go though.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    +1 to Binnurs comment, after seeing the colour version I think BW is the way to go though.
    Matt,

Thanks for the comments.

Real Name
    Jim

Just think it would be hard to separate the foreground from the background when converting to B&W.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

No...it might be easy to blur the background first before converting it to B/W...if this is mine, the first thing to do is lower the tone down of overexposed area which was evident in the B/W...then I will choose the Quick Selection tool, select what you want to save from blurring, click on Refine Edges, come back to the window, select inverse image then go to the Gaussian Tool and select how much blur you wanted of the background (watch it! you can overdo the blurring here...) then when you are happy, convert to B/W. But this is not mine, so you can go and do it if you like...even just for practice...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    No...it might be easy to blur the background first before converting it to B/W...if this is mine, the first thing to do is lower the tone down of overexposed area which was evident in the B/W...then I will choose the Quick Selection tool, select what you want to save from blurring, click on Refine Edges, come back to the window, select inverse image then go to the Gaussian Tool and select how much blur you wanted of the background (watch it! you can overdo the blurring here...) then when you are happy, convert to B/W. But this is not mine, so you can go and do it if you like...even just for practice...
    Hi Izzie,

Hadn't thought about blurring the background, thought more along the lines of lifting the flower to the surface of the medium. Thanks for the suggestions; worth considering.

Real Name
    Brian

Adding a vignette to the b/w image as well as darkening some of the bg area might focus the eye more on the central subject. It doesn't have to be drastic to have a big impact. My opinion. Worth what you paid.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    Adding a vignette to the b/w image as well as darkening some of the bg area might focus the eye more on the central subject. It doesn't have to be drastic to have a big impact. My opinion. Worth what you paid.
    Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Real Name
    David

Nice capture John, I think a square crop from the top works well in cutting out a lot of the glare?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    Nice capture John, I think a square crop from the top works well in cutting out a lot of the glare?
    Hi David,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.