Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taken the plunge!

Real Name
    Dave

Taken the plunge!

and waved goodbye to my dslr gear! It's micro 4/3 only from here on, not for everyone, I know, but I have decided that the compromises work for me.

I used MPB Photographic to sell the kit to. I am waiting for their agreement that the condition of the kit is as described, but if all goes well then they offered around 40% of the prices I paid in 2011 for a 600D and decent consumer grade lenses, which I though fair enough. The process was certainly hassle free.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Taken the plunge!

If everything goes as you expect, you ended up paying about 15% per year as a full-time rental. That's dirt cheap as rentals go. Best of luck with your new system!

Real Name
    John

Enjoy!

Real Name
    Ted

A firm step, well taken.

Should you do macro, I can heartily recommend taking a plunge on the Panasonic-Leica macro Elmarit f/2.8 45mm.

Real Name
    Richard

Be happy and creative with your new permanent format!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I find 4/3rds works well for me but I am a camera junkie so don't quote me...Congratulations for making up your mind on what you really want...

Real Name
    Dave

what you really want...
    By a strange coincidence, we were just watching a programme of old number one hits, and had got to the Spice Girls. Those were the days - and I'm still in love with Emma Bunton.

Dave

Real Name
    Ian Hutchinson

There are a few members at Southampton Camera Club that have made the switch and are getting really good results, hope you get plenty of enjoyment from it Dave. I have used MBP a few times, great company.

I'm a mechanical junkie, I admit it. I can't bring myself to sell any of my cameras.

Good luck with your decision. I will admit, my Nikon hasn't seen much daylight since the Nex came along.

Real Name
    Dave

Just thought I would confirm that the promised money from MPB arrived in my bank account this morning. I have to say I was impressed. The process is very straightforward, basically:

- check that what you want to sell is on their list. In my case it was a Canon 600D, a couple of Tamron zooms, a Sigma zoom a speedlight, and a Panasonic kit lens
    - fill out their on-line form, with your view of condition
    - they email back with a quote
    - you accept the quote (if you wish!) and they arrange a courier to collect (price included)
    - they inspect the kit, and if all is well they pay you. Took three days from their receiving the kit to me getting the money

Dave

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I seem to have missed details about the exact kit you have bought. There is no reason you should in any way diminish your choice. I know I am tempted by not just the technology but also the looks not to mention the size (ok, just mentioned it). So, enjoy your new adventure! And, post your thoughts and results so anyone considering the move can have more firsthand information.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Congratulations Dave. Have fun!

WW

Real Name
    Kathy

Happy new camera gear! Have fun travelling light! I love my m4/3 gear.

Real Name
    Stephen

I would add to this recommendation the Olympus 60mm macro 2.8 which I have found to be an excellent lens for macro photography with Lumix G-6.

Congratulations to Dave for taken the plunge. I migrated from the Nikon system which I used for clse to 40 years to Lumix and have been very pleased with the results. Both my shoulder and back are immensely grateful cause my gear does not weigh as much and I can pack it all in a nice tidy bag.

Happy image making!

Stephen

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    and waved goodbye to my dslr gear! It's micro 4/3 only from here on, not for everyone, I know, but I have decided that the compromises work for me.

I used MPB Photographic to sell the kit to. I am waiting for their agreement that the condition of the kit is as described, but if all goes well then they offered around 40% of the prices I paid in 2011 for a 600D and decent consumer grade lenses, which I though fair enough. The process was certainly hassle free.

Dave
    May your new path give you pleasure.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I find this thread extremely interesting, because I find I find myself leaning in the opposite direction.

While I enjoy having a smaller mFT camera for some types of shooting (when weight and size are the primary constraints), it just cannot compare with the pleasure of working with my FF gear. I can see me changing direction at some point when the size and weight do limit my ability to photography, but that day has not come yet.

That being said, I'm glad that things are working out well for you Dave. Equipment that sits on a shelf is of no value to anyone.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th July 2015 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I find this thread extremely interesting, because I find I find myself leaning in the opposite direction.

While I enjoy having a smaller mFT camera for some types of shooting (when weight and size are the primary constraints), it just cannot compare with the pleasure of working with my FF gear. I can see me changing direction at some point when the size and weight do limit my ability to photography, but that day has not come yet.

T.
    I feel exactly the same!! There is nothing nicer than holding that solid 1d in my hand, doesn't matter with a 50mm prime or with the 120-300 weight monster from sigma.
    The only time I put my 60D on is if I do makro work on my knees and i need the flip screen( never could understand why we do not have this on the top models, one of THE most useful features on the old Hasselblad and Rolleiflex medium formats).
    However I could see myself having a Fuji x series for street photography, which, by the way, I have done way too little so far, OR a bridge like the fuji x-s 1 Sony rx 10 or a Panasonic. (love the fully manual zoom on Fuji)
    And again I like the weight and feel of the fuji.
    But that is me, I'm 193cm and acording to other have very big hands, which might explain my preference for large bodies and gear.
    Be that as it may, I wish you Dave always good light and tons of fun with your new gear and looking forward to seeing some of the results here

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback and encouragement. Unlike some of the giants on here , at 167cm, small hands and a body that has seen much better days, full frame was never going to be an option. I did toy with the idea of upgrading my modest 600D to a 70D, but then I thought about what photography I actually do.
    About eighteen months ago I bought a Panasonic G5 + kit as an "always have with me" camera, decided I really liked the format, and took it from there. I currently have the G5, a GX7 and three zooms. I feel that whatever I might want to do, there are lenses that will help me (and thanks for the tip on the macro lens - something I might want to have a try at). However, I think I might be investing the dslr proceeds in a nice new G7

I am sure that the most important thing is to have kit that you enjoy using, so it gets used. Happy shooting everyone.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

I am sure that the most important thing is to have kit that you enjoy using, so it gets used.
    You beat me to it. Have fun.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Unlike some of the giants on here , at 167cm
    As a long xpat, I'm having trouble visualizing measurements in cm . . .

. . . OT, but had the same trouble watching Miss World from Venezuela long ago ;-)

Forgive me, Ladies, not PC, I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast