Thread: A mother

Real Name
    Tejal

A mother

Dear Friends,

Here is one picture of a woman, showcasing her dedication towards her family. I am posting two different versions - in one i have kept the exposure down and in the other one i have increase a little. The pic was taken inside her hut, where they was no enough light. The only light was coming from where i entered the hut. And there was no enough space even to stand.

Kindly share your view on exposure as well as if there is anything which i need to take care to make it better.

Regards,

Tejal

A motherIMG_5703 as Smart Object-1 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr

A motherIMG_5703 as Smart Object-2 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr

Real Name
    John

Re: A mother

I like the first version as it subdues the reds of the hammock and child's clothing, also the first adds a bit more mystery to what lies within the shadows. Perhaps a compromise between the two versions would be in order? Nicely done.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I like the first version as it subdues the reds of the hammock and child's clothing, also the first adds a bit more mystery to what lies within the shadows. Perhaps a compromise between the two versions would be in order? Nicely done.
    thanks John...exactly this what was there in my mind when i kept it under exposed. .

Real Name
    Jim

I prefer #2. To much hiding in the shadows.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Perhaps a compromise between the two versions would be in order
    Maybe blend them together and brush away the darkness on mom and child.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I prefer #2. To much hiding in the shadows.
    Thnx Jim for your feedback.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Maybe blend them together and brush away the darkness on mom and child.
    Thnx for your valuable suggestion. I will try this version too.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Tejal - another very interesting shot, but I think you are trying to do too much here. Your title says she is a mother and then you go ahead and prove this by including her baby, and that I think is what is causing the problem.

1. You have two subjects in the image, so our eyes move from mother to child; and

2. By shooting wide, you have gotten all kinds of superfluous material in the shot which is distracting.

There are simply too many things in this shot and that results in a weaker composition. Multiple subjects like this tend to be a problem. Now had the mother been holding the child, that would have allowed you to concentrate on a single subject and avoid the distracting business in this scene.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Tejal - another very interesting shot, but I think you are trying to do too much here. Your title says she is a mother and then you go ahead and prove this by including her baby, and that I think is what is causing the problem.

1. You have two subjects in the image, so our eyes move from mother to child; and

2. By shooting wide, you have gotten all kinds of superfluous material in the shot which is distracting.

There are simply too many things in this shot and that results in a weaker composition. Multiple subjects like this tend to be a problem. Now had the mother been holding the child, that would have allowed you to concentrate on a single subject and avoid the distracting business in this scene.
    Hmmmmm.......Very well described the weak points. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I will try my best to improve .

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I prefer the second but think you have lightened up the background a bit too much.

Having attempted taking some photographs in a similar hut I know how difficult the lighting is and I think you handled it very very well.

Below is one of my attempts using a Nikon F90x and Valvia slide film(transparency) rated at 80 ISO. There was no way to bounce the flash as the walls and roof were so dark. I am still very disappointed that I did not achieve a more satisfactory result as I felt very privileged to be invited in and allowed to take the photo. I would love to go back sometime as I think the vastly improved technology and my hopefully improved skills would obtain a far better result.

A mother

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I prefer the second but think you have lightened up the background a bit too much.

Having attempted taking some photographs in a similar hut I know how difficult the lighting is and I think you handled it very very well.

Below is one of my attempts using a Nikon F90x and Valvia slide film(transparency) rated at 80 ISO. There was no way to bounce the flash as the walls and roof were so dark. I am still very disappointed that I did not achieve a more satisfactory result as I felt very privileged to be invited in and allowed to take the photo. I would love to go back sometime as I think the vastly improved technology and my hopefully improved skills would obtain a far better result.

A mother
    This is nice. Flash could have been used here, as you said. Thanks for sharing your feedback and also for sharing the wonderful pic for reference.